The XPB Stage 1 underway.

we used them for our Morgan build, reasonable priced and easy to get ,fits the o/d pipe for brakes and rudder , simple but effective , easy to install and very little wear on the bushing

well done , making it easy for the builder

• Like 1

High or low wing? wow there's a hard question. I reckon its a bit like a sports car or a family sedan. The low wing is sexy but the high wing is more practical, especially on a hot day. But sexy is cool, and its nice to see what you are turning into.

I wish the question were easier to answer, like do I want it cheap and easy to build and good performance or not. Or do I prefer pop rivets or not.

I wish the question were easier to answer, like do I want it cheap and easy to build and good performance or not. Or do I prefer pop rivets or not.

50% of people, if not more, will come down to price.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yes Bex, the Jabiru is about half the price and there are lots of them around here. In my case, It made it possible for me to have a new aircraft.

Maybe I could have stretched the budget for something else, but I felt guilty enough spending 36,000 on a plaything and I doubt I would have spent more.

But I do admit to being a terrible cheapskate. Right now I'm in trouble from the wife for buying some "battery reconditioner" instead of a new battery for the car.

• Haha 1

Yes Bex, the Jabiru is about half the price

.. and I'm aiming to be half the price again.

It's only 200kgs (whatever) of lasered aluminium sheet and a few extrusions for goodness sakes.

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

I so admire your low cost aims. But, you haven't got to the expensive bits yet. At this stage, what engine do you envisage using? That decision is going to impact cost considerably!....how do you feel about f/glass cowlings,wingtips ect; gonna have enough ground clearance for 2 blade prop? (three bladers are very expensive) .You mentioned in an earlier post that the canopy was to be flat sheet, still OK with that? ie; 3 or4 piece , side opening?..A moulded canopy is going to look sooo much better, maybe....... I know you're not that far along with the build but some of that stuff requires some forward planning....003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

I agree about low cost being great, but as geoffrey says , some items are going to cost. One of the worst costs on a glider I know is the machined and welded fittings, and you are showing a talent for achieving the same outcomes using readily available stuff, like the square tube and the pipe-clamps.

A guy I know got himself a new ASH 25 glider for about half price by buying a wreck and cutting all the metal fittings out and sending them back to the factory. I was surprised at how much those fittings must have cost.

• Like 1

I agree about low cost being great, but as geoffrey says , some items are going to cost.

Engine is a choice, there are a few choices from medium to expensive, I'm working in the background on a couple of solutions.

Engine aside, I can't see any great costs, I admit I haven't sorted wheels and brakes yet though.

Yes I could sort out bubble canopies, Gamin, chrome plated grease nipples and fox tails for the ariel, not the plan though, get in the air first at as low cost as possible and update later if you feel the need.

One of the worst costs on a glider I know is the machined and welded fittings, .

No bespoke parts on mine that can't be replicated in a "Man Shed" with basic tools. Some bits may need a drive down to the local sheetmetal shop for a few folds and very minor welding (some captive nuts for example) if they needed replacing.

I don't know why some manufacturers do so many bespoke parts, only shooting yourself in the foot. Oh sorry, I forgot, aviation has to be complicated and expensive, I forgot my place.

• Like 2

Engine ... I'm working in the background on a couple of solutions..

Just on that note, I have been patiently waiting for the 'right' engine to be produced in China for a possible candidate.

The Suzuki G13 is very cheap here but a fraction outside of what I actually want, as is the Toyota 1.0 3 cylinder as found in the Toyota Yaris.

There's not much else but there's a few coming online, in the small 3 or 4 cylinder, turbo that you are seeing more and more of these days. What I am looking for is a good known engine that's of course light and powerful, and made by a reputable Chinese manufacturer - and of course stupidly cheap, with a typically simple ECU setup.

Well news just a few days ago is the Peugeot/Citroen designed, BMW made N18 Turbo as found in the Mini Cooper S to name one, has just started to be made 20 minutes up the road from me.

What's interesting about this 1.6 liter engine is the twin scroll turbo and cam timing allow it to make an astonishing 100hp at just 2600rpm, and 130hp at 3000rpm.

In other words, the possibility that I have been talking about for a while of a small 4 cylinder with enough boost to go direct drive without a PSRU, is now at my doorstep. I will be arranging to go there again (previously looked at some unsuitable 1.5 turbos that were too heavy) and see what they weigh and the ins and outs of the direct injection.

I haven't got my hopes up too high as most Euro engines are ridiculously heavy typically, but we will see.

• Like 7
  • Informative 1

Jeez you kept those cowlings secret! Looks fantastic. Well done.

Credit where credit is due, they are modified Morgan Sierra cowlings that will get further treatment yet.

IMG_1380.JPG.9df126f70e0ad623c9159109392b0d0b.JPG Flat sheet canopy? No prob. Single piece front shield fixed to a curved frame and then gull wing doors attached to a support between the front shield and the rear cockpit bulkhead
  • Like 2

Flat sheet canopy? No prob. Single piece front shield fixed to a curved frame and then gull wing doors attached to a support between the front shield and the rear cockpit bulkhead

That had always been the intention..

• Informative 1

That's a REALLY nice looking aeroplane,those "gull wing" tips show up nicely and set it apart. The "stance " as a taildragger will only inprove with 15 x 6 x 6 wheels. I can't see anything to criticize, which is unusual for me.....and I have a 912uls on my bench jus beggin to go into one of those.

• Like 2

Seats? have you ever seen the seats in a 2CV citroen? I had one for a couple of years in Holland, comfy enough..with NO cushion, they are a sort of deck chair type. I mean a canvas sling for your ass. very light, very easy to fabricate. A gel cushion should make it work OK for several hours Wing bladder tanks ? with a behind the dash header for gravity feed? the top tank would also work well with EFI , might save a lot of plumbing. The fact that my Jodel is so plumbed has nothing to do with anything....

Not trying to have a go at you Bex, just showing others what can be done with flat sheet

Opposite, appreciate the input, thanks.

I have a folder full of flat sheet canopy ideas and your picture just got added.

Flat sheet canopy ? I had occasion just recently to alter my "el cheapo" pipe bender into a Very Good small tube and flat strip bender. Worked brilliantly.. Just right for canopy frames. I rolled a 12mm tube into a 300mm radius half circle

Pardon me fer sticking me two bobs worth in.

I've been wonderin, if they can use these 3D printin thingies to do stuff, why can't they build a bigger printer an print a plane out of carbon fiber an cook it?

Light, strong, cheap, an slicker than cat crap off a linoleum floor.

printable carbon fibre filament is not really perfected very well yet..its also extremely expensive at the moment..but they buld concrete houses with a oversize 3D printers now so no reason you cant do it for a aircraft shell

• Like 1

They could use supa glue, or cheese, if ya baged in an survived your not gonna be short of tucker.

Wait a mo,,,, how about compressed wheat bix slurred up with condensed milk and baked into a biscuit.

Please forgiveness my poor sense of misguided humor.

On a more serious note.

It will happen bet your last buck on that an with electric motors

• Agree 1