The XPB Stage 1 underway.

I looked for drum brakes in the Marc Ingegno catalogue and couldn't see any - but I did find disc brakes listed.

From same catalogue:

4" Main wheels

010102080 REV0 KIT WHEELS AND DRUM BRAKES 4" X 70

KIT WHEELS 4" x 70 drum brake This small wheel is used on planes with retractable landing gear. Composed by 2 half rims with build in bearings housing. Bearings I.D. 20, complete with dust covers. Steel drum brake bolt to the wheel 90 mm size. Bolts stainless steel. Gold anodized. Brake plate welded to the axle. Weight of all the assy ( and axle ) is 1637 gr. Each. Maximum rate charge is 800 Kg.

Product Detail

• Like 1

Geez, gold-anodized, too! That's sold me on drums! Nothing speaks more of pure class, than gold-anodized Italian brakes!

They'll match my big gold neck chain, my huge gold nugget ring, and my gold Rolex, beautifully! 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

• Haha 3

Geez, gold-anodized, too! That's sold me on drums! Nothing speaks more of pure class, than gold-anodized Italian brakes!They'll match my big gold neck chain, my huge gold nugget ring, and my gold Rolex, beautifully! 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Match your big gold neck chain? You could take off the bath plug and hang one on your neck chain!

For anyone wondering I'm just chipping away at lots of little items such as wing step-ons, finishing the wing tips, working out Flap actuation, some seat cushions being made, figuring canopies and engine stuff.

in between when I catch a moment here and there, I've managed to work out my 'High Wing' wings as well.

Still waiting for decision from Government on the 'New Energy Grant', we hear from a source that there's a promising result there, but as usual it's happening on Chinese time so not hanging around waiting for it to happen.

• Like 4

Drum brakes would be less drag than disks. I would like to get rid of all that draggy stuff. Yes I know that spats will cover it all but they have their own problems. What I would like is those "skeleton spats" you sometimes see on old pictures. They fair in the wheel front and back but not the sides. With drum brakes you would have a low-drag setup.

The spats on my Corby have an opening on the outside where the wheel is exposed. I don't think it is visible on my avatur. Not sure if you can blow the picture up.

The spats on my Corby have an opening on the outside where the wheel is exposed. I don't think it is visible on my avatur. Not sure if you can blow the picture up.

Strange request.

explosio.gif.373fbb6bd6eb57fe6eeb4d3d593b82e0.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Helpful 1
  • Winner 3

Actually they were building a bit over one thousand three hundred great walls per day back in 2011:whistling:

Take one look at the quality control and that's easy to believe ! 064_contract.gif.1ea95a0dc120e40d40f07339d6933f90.gif

Yes, the Miles trousered legs will go well with the rotary Gnome engine, the Castor oil lubrication, and the piano-wire bracing.

Bex may even like to consider heavy-duty bicycle wheels for landing gear - I believe these are a well-proven design, with no need for spats, even. 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

There's been some work done on spats and undercarriage fairings and their effects on drag.

In fact, that work dates back to 1934. You may like to have a read. 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a278248.pdf

• Informative 1

how about nice trousered legs as the Miles aircraft?

Removable wings, so no.

Take one look at the quality control and that's easy to believe ! 064_contract.gif.1ea95a0dc120e40d40f07339d6933f90.gif

You should see where they are at now, weld and panel fit as good as any, still some issues to resolve, dash rattles for example, but the rest of the world should start to get nervous.

Here's something a little relative to your "quip" I wrote elsewhere a few years back ...

I reckon the reason I survive in China is because I am a bit of Monty Python fan, you need to see things in this vein otherwise you would go crazy, let me give you an example;

Last week I wanted a sheet of stainless steel, 0.6mm thick.

I get to the stainless steel sheet shop and ask for a sheet of 304 0.6mm thick please.

Reply; "Do you want real 0.6mm or other"

Me; "What? I want 0.6mm thick thanks"

Reply: "But how thick do you want?"

Me, confused; "I have no idea what the F$%^ you are asking, I want a sheet of stainless steel, 0.6mm thick thanks"

Reply; "But there are different thicknesses you can get if you order 0.6mm"

Me, getting angry; "Are you people morons? 0.6mm is 0.6mm, there is no other size for 0.6mm!"

Reply; "ok, wait I'll have a look ...... sorry we don't have 0.6mm, we only have 0.6mm that is 0.48mm, if you want 0.6mm we will have to sell you 0.8mm that is 0.6mm ...."

Me after a short spiel of anger; " FFS, just give me whatever you have that is 0.6mm thick"

So sheet arrives, 0.8mm written on it, 0.68mm thick ..........

Now when I tell the young bloke to go get a part laser cut, I have to tell him to get it done in 0.6mm which is 0.8mm which is 0.7mm .....

Pretty much sums up daily life in China trying to get anything done.

Oh and my 1.5mm sheets are 1.35 and I tried to get a 1mm sheet last week - had to chose between 0.9 and 1.1 ...

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Informative 2

My Great Wall is at 134,000km. Unloved and still goes good, actually getting better fuel economy now. Rattles yes, lights on dash that shouldn't be yes. But runs great. Even got a nice set of Broncos number plates.

• Like 3

That was interesting that a 1 m drop is converted to 3.5 g.

I would have thought that the force depends on the deflection of the target, and it would have to deflect by 1/3.5 metres or 286mm to give a 3.5g load on the target. And a 1.5 m drop and 6 g implies 250mm deflection.

But with a jumping person, the legs will bend near this amount on landing, so as a rule of thumb it seems reasonable. It is new to me though and I'm interested in any more details.

• Informative 1

Wonderful how the Chinese do capitalism so well...that's a great story thanks Bex.

You want another story, it's now 7.30am and I am still preparing presentations, yes meaning all night, because the Local Government who have had my submission for research grant for some weeks, just late yesterday informed me that they would like further info, like 4 extra separate detailed submissions varying between 1000 to 3000 words, before they submit my application to the Provincial Goverment .... this F#%^&ing afternoon .... sorry, but I'm a little tired and cranky at the moment.

It's actually normal for them.

Also boiling hot, late July is the hottest around 35 daily with wretched humidity inland (oh I miss the ocean) and my air con goes for 5 to 10 minutes, rattles it's guts out and turns the cold off for about half an hour, repeat.

Aahhh, but the Chinese obviously do bureaucracy even better than we do capitalism, it seems. 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Bex, surely there's a local PG governor who is amenable to a little palm greasing to facilitate that Grant? After all, this is the Chinese Way, is it not? 021_nod.gif.30c66a33e1ed960b5b5d3fc7b345b58d.gif

Bex, surely there's a local PG governor who is amenable to a little palm greasing to facilitate that Grant? After all, this is the Chinese Way, is it not? 021_nod.gif.30c66a33e1ed960b5b5d3fc7b345b58d.gif

Sure, it's quite culturally ingrained, we don't do it the way you might immediately think though, we play fair and legal (Wife's a Lawyer so she can't (and won't) break the Law, I'm a Foreigner, so I can't break the Law), but that doesn't mean they can present any old rubbish upstairs, that side of it still has to be done properly. There has to be something of reasonable standard in the file drawer.

I just finished my first draft, 8.40am, emailed it off for translation, and later today meet another friend who worked in that Gov Dept previously as he will be aware of what needs to be changed if any.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

By the way, the fact that it's going upstairs means I have actually passed initial local survey that many don't.

i know China too well to get excited though, 99% certainty means nothing here, as onetrack alludes too, just one 'under the table' at the wrong moment might take your genuine winning application from the top of the pile to under that Official's Mate's application - or two.

So .. getting back to the sheet thickness problem; what is the reason behind this "schemozzle", as Eric Bana would say in Full Frontal?

Properly-engineered materials, and the construction of accurately-engineered items, rely on precise measurements.

The days of thumb measurements, cubits, handspans, and bees dicks come from Babylonian days - and I don't recall the Babylonians being first class aircraft designers - although, apparently, they did have some degree of success with a modest tower, that apparently didn't require vernier calipers.

If you do you engineering calculations on a certain sheet thickness, but the sheet supplied varies substantially from specifications, you're up the proverbial engineering creek without a paddle, so to speak. The Nomad comes to mind here, and I'm not talking about Bedouins.

So how the dickens do the Chinese get around this, when it comes to the supply of precise specifications materials?

Do they have to employ a legion of inspectors, checking every single shipment, to ensure the item meets specs?

The ramifications for their fledgling aircraft industry are enormous, if they can't establish even basic, common measurement (and marking) standards.