The XPB Stage 1 underway.

Sorry Bex - don't take this as a personal affront - but personally, I just can't warm to that single-central-beam design.

I know what you're trying to achieve, but I think it needs a different design to increase cabin strength, from what appears to me, to be inadequate support for the top of the cabin.

I'm reminded of the weakness of many aircraft cabin designs - particularly those with large viewing areas - when I look at the wreckage of the Sling 4 that crashed, and see the virtually total destruction of the cabin.

I look at that little machine and think, "what would a Jabiru cabin look like after a crash like that?"

IMO, as regards a totally new design, one should aim for a substantial safety cage for all occupants. Just my 0.002c worth here.

'Mind-boggling': Urgent surgery for self-built plane crash pilot

Sorry Bex - don't take this as a personal affront - but personally, I just can't warm to that single-central-beam design.

Did you not notice the proper steel ROP roll bar behind the Pax heads? It's substantial (and not final either). Safety was always paramount and at 1.1 meters in height, you will be able to almost walk from under the plane there is that much clearance.

Maybe you just didn't notice the roll bar before?

1328013351_joined4.jpg.5ecc75cb2a33ac30990791e885a9f2dc.jpg

I have been very dismayed at the lack of attention shown to this safety item, some of the roll bar attempts are a joke. Feel sorry for that guy and his Niece who flipped the Vans a few months back and were trapped for 2 hours, with life long injuries that should have been so easily avoided. Being trapped without injury is one thing, fire is a real threat from there.

The "center beam" as you put it, is not a roll bar, it is there for 2 other reasons,

One, to hang your full body weight from getting in and out, you can't see but there's 2 bolt holes for a hold strap for the purpose,

Two, to hinge the canopy hatches from,

and Three - what do you want, I told you there was only two reasons.

The yellow line here is what we call the "Broomstick Test", and there is no way you are surviving any forces beyond what it would take to crush my craft past that yellow line.

1296724272_worstcaseflip.jpg.412bed3d63d98cda823e3fcdcea78443.jpg

I take the safety features of my plane very seriously such as the 200mm crush area under your azz to help protect your spine, the steel front corners (seen in pink above 3D) to dissipate energy up the frame rather than tearing there, many little thoughts similar. The roll bar crossbar is the correct height for seat belt harnesses by design, not accident, etc, etc.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Winner 1

Most of today was spent cutting a sheet of tin up to make a pattern for a flat wrap canopy as well as experimenting with hinge positions, things went quite well and got a result quite quickly, alas the sheet of clear plastic I have had laying around for a while proved to be rubbish (brittle) when I transfered the pattern and started to cut it.

Some may have noticed I am in the middle of moving factory also. Doesn't help that the old tenants are still there and won't be gone til the end of the month. All I can tell you is that it wasn't planned by a Man.

498919293_canopy6.jpg.ae573dba44794c90373bf4131841d979.jpg

266903680_canopy9.jpg.062a13d749ebdb86bff6be746aa576f6.jpg

1877923397_canopy8.jpg.4f2c38fb98a10cfda2968c24180c93f1.jpg

1002827181_canopy7.jpg.ae145a35e65ada3299a7c6daadf3ff19.jpg

1784440043_canopy11.jpg.cfdab16b6f9cb69e07a89edb492f9f57.jpg

816829161_canopy10.jpg.7739e7373d8cdedb39731e4b2835c243.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Did you have to move buildings Bex? The background looks different

Some may have noticed I am in the middle of moving factory also. Doesn't help that the old tenants are still there and won't be gone til the end of the month. All I can tell you is that it wasn't planned by a Man.

In the middle of a move, as much as I hate moving, hoping this is only a temporary interim and maybe moving again very shortly.

This begs the question........."Why?"

A couple of reasons, the old factory, old literally, had issues of ceiling waterproof rubber matter constantly falling all over us, small black sticky stuff that was corrosive on the aluminium. No electricity everytime it rained for a few hours after, and if it rained really hard (we get tropical type rains here), sometimes no power for a couple of days, Filthy broken toilets and other issues due to an overpriced lazy maintenance/security Guard who is related to the factory owner. He was getting his stupidly high fee from us (3 bowls of rice per day!) and the neighbor in the same compound at a higher rate than usual which was earning him about 3 times as much as a normal guard yet doing nothing around the place.

But most important reason is the Government Grant I am seeking is also considered on what division of the city you are in, next year's contract came up and I decided to take an offer from a business associate of space in his factory as his Tenant is moving out (next month) in the best division for the grant considerations, and it happens to be 500 meters from my house as well.

I have another further offer of a business package that may or may not go ahead, we will see in a week's time. I have had many offers over the years, but very few are based in reality when crunch time comes, so I'm not getting excited about it, this one would be nice if it happened though, bit different to the normal ones.

• Like 1

Nothing like a stroll down the street to work to knock out the hours. Used to live a few Kay's from my workshop,home for dinner, back to work until 1 or 3 am. 30 km commute now makes me really consider is it worth it now= more time not at work, yay.

Well that's a problem, I have no excuse to drive now! I have to walk it.

No way that's a problem Bex. Exercise is good for you. Also give you time to focus your mind on the day's task.

No way that's a problem Bex. Exercise is good for you. Also give you time to focus your mind on the day's task.

I am on my feet all day long on concrete, that's the way it is in a workshop or factory. At the end of some days I'm a bit tired and just want to get home - not looking forward to the walk, and then I still have to face 6 flights of stairs. Ask me about the times we go down those 6 flights in the morning, get in the car and the Missus realises she forgot something ....

Anywayz, this strange looking creature is the joining strip for the 2 flat wraps, and here is the canopy style I am hoping to replicate ..

732084459_flatwrapjoint.jpg.5c7a517454d03bfe157ffb4c3f3a0c72.jpg

inspire.jpg.1015f0a3216cc623cfabe8c294069788.jpg

• Like 8

I reckon the canopy looks good, and it leaves the possibility for a blown one as an after-market thing for those who want a more expensive one. Personally, I would stick with the 2 single-curvature bits canopy.

And the wings look ok now, sorry about my comment about the tips at one time. The comment came from a particular perspective drawing which gave me an illusion that the tip chord was too big.

• Like 1

And the wings look ok now, sorry about my comment about the tips at one time. .

Oh you say sorry now, but where were you when I sobbed myself to sleep all those nights alone?

Neat, but how are you going to seal it against rain and wind noise?

With Acme rain and wind noise sealer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Oh you say sorry now, but where were you when I sobbed myself to sleep all those nights alone?

Don't lie to us, we know that didn't happen. Come clean on what really happened. You actually spent all those nights constructing a voodoo doll in Bruces image, and sticking sharp pins into it, didn't you? 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Bruce - you've got the explanation now, for those nagging, sharp, back and kidney pains, where you couldn't pinpoint the actual cause. 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

What, you wanted Bruce there too? The Plebiscite/Survey thread is over on What's Up Australia.

• Haha 2