The XPB Stage 1 underway.

BexAre the wings going to fold, with the cantilever design?

cheers

john

At the moment they are just drawn up as easy remove, but one of the major complaints these days is cost of storage, so I think a manufacturer is crazy to not offer a "One man, fold'n'trailer" option, so will be working towards that goal.

• Winner 1

We all like a little head Kasper, I call him The Crazy Frenchman!

Ah the mad Frenchman - well Bex Mk3 will have to be a mignet formula. . I’ll volunteer for test pilot on it - it’ll be no.6 or 7 of the Pou derived in my log and third for full test program.

Ah the mad Frenchman - well Bex Mk3 will have to be a mignet formula. . I’ll volunteer for test pilot on it - it’ll be no.6 or 7 of the Pou derived in my log and third for full test program.

Oh yeah, I have a Poo all ready to be squeezed out.

I feel I have an answer to the crosswind issue, while retaining the simplicity that is the Mignet formula. But enough on my plate for the immediate moment.

Oh yeah, I have a Poo all ready to be squeezed out.I feel I have an answer to the crosswind issue, while retaining the simplicity that is the Mignet formula. But enough on my plate for the immediate moment.

PLEASE do not even think about what Pierre did on the HM1100 courduan. Do not put ailerons on the rear wing. I’m begging you do not do it.

PLEASE do not even think about what Pierre did on the HM1100 courduan. Do not put ailerons on the rear wing. I’m begging you do not do it.

I did say "Mignet formula", i.e. 2 axis, front wing for elevation and rudder for roll. I believe I can avoid cosandey flaps too.

By the way, Henri himself didn't have a problem with ailerons, he just though they were a complication and a waste of time.

I find rudder-elevator-dihedral models to be easier to thermal than rudder-elevator-aileron-bugger-all-dihedral models.

With the latter, I can't control the speed in the thermal turn. ( other people obviously do better than me).

With one model, a hobbyking phoenix, I actually modified the wing to give it a lot of dihedral. The result was that the ailerons became so ineffective they might as well not have been there. This model now turned with the rudder.

So my favourite models for flying in thermals are the old free-flight Playboy and Dixielander types, with radio on the motor, rudder and elevator.

But surely a full-size is different, especially when it comes to landing, where I would not like to be without ailerons.

I find rudder-elevator-dihedral models to be easier to thermal than rudder-elevator-aileron-bugger-all-dihedral models.With the latter, I can't control the speed in the thermal turn. ( other people obviously do better than me).

With one model, a hobbyking phoenix, I actually modified the wing to give it a lot of dihedral. The result was that the ailerons became so ineffective they might as well not have been there. This model now turned with the rudder.

So my favourite models for flying in thermals are the old free-flight Playboy and Dixielander types, with radio on the motor, rudder and elevator.

But surely a full-size is different, especially when it comes to landing, where I would not like to be without ailerons.

You never notice you don’t have ailerons on a mignet formula aircraft unless you need to hold a slip in landing crosswind. But in reality most of the single seater Pou’s land touchdown to full stop without brakes in under 100m so even with a 10-15m wide strip angled landings Work in most winds you’d like to be flying in. And if you fit differential spoilers on the front wing you can dial in wing down and land normally.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

How off topic can you get?Poo?? Poo???

We are talking about the Frenchman Henri Mignet's "Pou du ciel", meaning louse of the sky, known commonly in English as the "Flying Flea".

The pronunciation for "Pou" is poo.

Not off topic because I mentioned previously that I want to do a Pou, it's been building up for a while now. I'd better grab some paper and a pencil to work it out.

• Haha 2

Well aware of the context of your post and was just trying to take the mickey out of you.

But seriously, are you looking at a "flying flea " design using the same/similar components as your gull wing and high wing kits?

• Haha 1

But seriously, are you looking at a "flying flea " design using the same/similar components as your gull wing and high wing kits?

Would love to, got to get these first 2 out of the way first.

Self control is a difficult thing, but lots of fun to get excited about possibilities, never stop dreaming!

• Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well it's been a strange and sometimes sad 4 or so months, now time to get back into the plane proper.

I have decided in selfishness to spend a day a week also on getting my sports car up to scratch for production. Difference now is because I have such a lovely process in place with the aluminium, I will be shooting for predominately aluminium bodywork unlike the fiberglass shown here. The Lotus 7 was originally all aluminium bodywork. Mine is vaguely in the form of a Lotus 7, but much bigger, designed for larger American and Australian gentlemen, and the appropriate torsional rigidity for V6 and V8 power units (about 8000lbs per inch).

I started last week on a new updated chassis for it ..

Image1.jpg.90a0067e93c2fdab4a99cda10362feed.jpg

Image2.jpg.474c1c6b8a4b3f955cf131b59b12d7d8.jpg

4897209_roller1.jpg.4afb705591d7b2fae078cd553ff1beb8.jpg

An original Lotus 7 ..

1121763937_Lotus7.jpg.7567ed0cf6247e61321a7088ff8e5a78.jpg

• Like 5

Well it's been a strange and sometimes sad 4 or so months, now time to get back into the plane proper.I have decided in selfishness to spend a day a week also on getting my sports car up to scratch for production. Difference now is because I have such a lovely process in place with the aluminium, I will be shooting for predominately aluminium bodywork unlike the fiberglass shown here. The Lotus 7 was originally all aluminium bodywork. Mine is vaguely in the form of a Lotus 7, but much bigger, designed for larger American and Australian gentlemen, and the appropriate torsional rigidity for V6 and V8 power units (about 8000lbs per inch).

I started last week on a new updated chassis for it ..

[ATTACH=full]53304[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]53305[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]53308[/ATTACH]

An original Lotus 7 ..

[ATTACH=full]53307[/ATTACH]

So finally you need to design a trailer for your aircraft - then you can offer package deals!

• Haha 2

Can we concentrate on the plane please.......

I am a big Aussie gentleman (the missus says there is no such animal....just thick blokes) and require at least a 45" wide fuselage at the cockpit

I am interested in your design as I like the morgan sierra, but am interested in the evolution of the basic design as a build project for my retirement

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well so far a number of things have gone right this year, including a new Grandson, and important to you guys, another business project I have been involved in has started to come good which means I have some cash freed up and time to get back into the plane.

• Like 6
  • Informative 1

Well so far a number of things have gone right this year, including a new Grandson, and important to you guys, another business project I have been involved in has started to come good which means I have some cash freed up and time to get back into the plane.

Congratulations grandpa!

• Agree 1