The XPB Stage 1 underway.

In case you're wondering, I have ordered a bit of stuff and no luck so far.

I am a bit worried now because it's almost Chinese New Year (Feb 16th) and the bar stands don't want to do anything leading up to then, and for about 2 weeks after. I have been caught out a few times with this situation.

i am having a terrible time getting a new stock of 6061 sheet as well, I only want a Tonne this time around, but it's hard to get a factory to make less than 5 Tonne min order, especially just before Chinese New Year as mentioned.

In case you're wondering, I have ordered a bit of stuff and no luck so far.I am a bit worried now because it's almost Chinese New Year (Feb 16th) and the bar stands don't want to do anything leading up to then, and for about 2 weeks after. I have been caught out a few times with this situation.

i am having a terrible time getting a new stock of 6061 sheet as well, I only want a Tonne this time around, but it's hard to get a factory to make less than 5 Tonne min order, especially just before Chinese New Year as mentioned.

Could be worse, you could live in a country where Ramadan is followed avidly (or live in Perth).

I am having a terrible time getting a new stock of 6061 sheet as well, I only want a Tonne this time around, but it's hard to get a factory to make less than 5 Tonne min order, especially just before Chinese New Year as mentioned

Of course, a supremely confident aircraft designer and builder would order in no less than 10 tonnes - assured in his own mind, that the buyers will be lining up to purchase his outstanding product - and in fact, even getting into punch-ups, to be the first to buy his superior product. 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Of course, a supremely confident aircraft designer and builder would order in no less than 10 tonnes

Not when I'm paying for it now and someone's paying for it later and I won't have a show of getting what I spend now back.

Was at the fiberglass company today picking up a piece of E Glass for testing,

1362504835_Eglasstest.jpg.8dd80484df7c5016f008d7c49d2921ac.jpg

and noticed the high wing something that I have seen there before was being prepped ...

1514157390_plane2.jpg.74fdec1b7a632ad91b558a4d6d6e0b99.jpg

117607146_plane1.jpg.7ed88e1e390d7a2d5c9eac0c7fb2414c.jpg

1355826673_plane3.jpg.02b573dc6c16a49f410a4583a1c1134d.jpg

• Like 1

Kids

Not when I'm paying for it now and someone's paying for it later and I won't have a show of getting what I spend now back.

Was at the fiberglass company today picking up a piece of E Glass for testing,

[ATTACH=full]53835[/ATTACH]

and noticed the high wing something that I have seen there before was being prepped ...

[ATTACH=full]53839[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]53838[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]53837[/ATTACH]

kids coin operated toy?

If you're constructing an aircraft, why are you selecting E-glass, instead of S-glass? (or R-glass as the Europeans call it?) 033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

Because my fiberglass guy had a roll of E glass and epoxy ready to do another customers job and I said whip me up a square so I can experiment with it.

E glass is popular in China, S glass not so much. Numbers of craft have been done in Vinylester also, not that I would.

Personally I would use basalt except it's one of those products tainted by myths, and you know how accepting of myths aviators are ....

• Haha 2

Absolutely fascinating, that Basalt fiber. First I've known of it, and I've never run across it in use anywhere (well, not where I was told it was in use). The Russki's certainly seem to be the biggest producers of it.

I often wondered what was replacing asbestos in brake pads today. Kevlar, Aramid and various other products have been mentioned, but no-one has ever mentioned Basalt, which shows great potential in that application.

The fire resistance of Basalt would be a great advantage in aircraft applications.

Absolutely fascinating, that Basalt fiber. First I've known of it, and I've never run across it in use anywhere (well, not where I was told it was in use). The Russki's certainly seem to be the biggest producers of it.I often wondered what was replacing asbestos in brake pads today. Kevlar, Aramid and various other products have been mentioned, but no-one has ever mentioned Basalt, which shows great potential in that application.

The fire resistance of Basalt would be a great advantage in aircraft applications.

I don't know of any of the reinforcing fibres that aren't fire resistant, it's the resins that burn.

• Agree 1

it's the resins that burn

Yes, agreed. But having fiber reinforcement that resists melting for an extended period, makes for overall superior fire resistance to fiberglass.

"A common use (for Basalt fiber) is in the fire protection sector because of its high melt-point. Fire-blocking tests performed by Basaltex placed its basalt fabric in front of a Bunsen burner, placing the yellow tip of the flame in direct contact with the fabric. The yellow tip reaches temperatures of 1100°C to 1200°C (2012°F to 2192°F) and causes the fabric to become red hot, similar to a metal fabric. When exposed to the flame, basalt fiber maintains its physical integrity for extended periods of times, but the company found that a fabric made of E-glass with the same density can be pierced by the flame in a matter of seconds."

Basalt Fibers: Alternative To Glass?

The issue with basalt, which is lava, is it can have discrepancies in fiber size and is hard for the manufacturer to grade with consistency.

Most strands are almost as good as Carbon Fiber at a fraction of the price, while the weaker strands are down near E glass, so the 'weakest link in the chain' comes into play, in truth it depends on the supplier, the layup, and in what application. Likely for those reasons you will never see it used at Airbus or Boeing.

It is certainly an alternate to S Glass for most applications though.

If you made a plane from it then you would get the scare monger experts jumping in to tell everyone how they are going to crash into a kindergarten if you use it, I've seen exactly that already.

China has plenty by the way, there's a large factory nearby in Chengdu. Sichuan Aerospace Tuoxin Basalt Industrial Co., LTD

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

• 1 month later...