Ozkosh at Narromine

derekliston

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I feel the need to bump this up. Let's go and try and make OzKosh at Narromine into a success! I'm making the effort to support it, and several others from our airfield are also. We had all been fans of Narromine and I had been there 11 times, but when NatFly moved to Temora and changed it's character to more of an airshow, we lost interest..... Now the chance for a return to the once very popular Narromine Fly-In needs lots of support.

See ya there!

JG

• Agree 5

I feel the need to bump this up. Let's go and try and make OzKosh at Narromine into a success! I'm making the effort to support it, and several others from our airfield are also. We had all been fans of Narromine and I had been there 11 times, but when NatFly moved to Temora and changed it's character to more of an airshow, we lost interest..... Now the chance for a return to the once very popular Narromine Fly-In needs lots of support.See ya there!

JG

Well, so much for that enthusiasm to support the new Narromine...... Just got an email from RAAus with a schedule for OzKosh, and note that the airspace will be closed for 4hrs! for air displays on Saturday. I had planned to arrive early Saturday morning and have a peaceful day visiting around and watching other fly-in aircraft show their stuff. So stuff it, I'll now arrive Friday and leave really early Saturday and avoid the noisy display, p***d off..... Now I'd only bother to show up at all cause it'll be on my way home from a longer flying adventure. Such is life.......

• Agree 1

What's the problem, JG3? Closing airspace for displays is pretty normal and is usually over by about 2pm.I'm never in a hurry to leave till much later than that. Too bumpy.

OK: He said he hates airshows. Not so much the closing, although one relates to the other. Obviously doesn't like other pilots displaying their abilities.

Not necessarily. If you've been to a few air shows after awhile they all start to look the same. Have to say that the RAAF display was very spectacular last time. Precision flying you could not help but admire.

I don't think a few hours over lunchtime on Saturday is too much time out of the weekend.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Where in the hell do we start just say that at this air show we get 1 or 5 young or old that would like to learn just through watching an air display

Ag show where my plane was got 4 new students just through being there

I go because I can just to find out from the horses mouth what flyers are up to and what is new Neil

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

Last time I was at Narromine and just as I and young son were planning to sit under the wing, enjoy lunch, watch some airshow, they closed off to the public and owners the aircraft parking area. We were not impressed, could not even wander around the other aircraft as I would have liked either, then it was a scramble to get home before last light. I was planning to go but I won't be going Saturday now. I thought they weren't having an airdisplay! Maybe ok IF you could still access the parked aircraft and look around. Told it was a CASA requirement for 'safety'

So safety should not be at the for front off an air show sounds like the idiot that at Temora wanted to cross a taxi way when a tail dragged was useing it

When told by me that he had to wait got Argro accused. Me off being power hungry just because I had on a red safety vest

What if he had tripped fallen over fainted who would have got him off the taxi way ? Neil

I am not against safety, but CASA safety can be a bit unrealistic, I am not talking access to runway or airshow aircraft but the general parking area. That is why I go, to talk to owners and builders about their aircraft. I'm not really interested in watching another airshow.

• Agree 3

The issue is partly to do with the location of the Airpark. Before it was built you could have the crowd line at the northern end of the aircraft parking just south of the taxiway. The display axis would then be parallel to this to the north. Unfortunately this is directly over the new houses. The only option is to move the crown line south to the south side of the aircraft parking and, while the show is on, restrict people from going into this area. The map below should make it clear.

)/@-32.219439,148.2277101,2008m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x6b058312b152f6db:0x851a53a507dd6c9f!8m2!3d-32.216!4d148.2247

• Informative 1

Wrote to ozkosh info, this is their reply.

Yes there is an air display. It takes placefrom 10am to 1pm on the

Saturday. The airspace will be closed from 15 minutes prior to the show

until 15 minutes after the show. There is also a Pylon Racing event on

Saturday morning between 7am and 8am

In regard to access to your aircraft during the air show, this year due to

the relocation of the air show axis you will be able to access your aircraft

during the air show. Please be aware that this may need to change for

operational reasons. Please also be aware there will be a crowd line

limitation that will be in place as set by the rules promulgated by CASA

which will be adhered to for the show to proceed.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Melbourne Area to Ozkosh

Hello All

Anyone going to Ozkosh from the Melbourne area who would like to share the flying/cost?

I have been flying for a while (learn't in Chippies in the 1960's) - ex GA IFR - been flying RA-Aus since 1987 & fly a couple of time a month.

• Like 1

Yeah it's for sure that I personally find airshows boring and annoying, but that's not the issue with my objection to them taking 4 hrs of the main day at our Narromine Fly-In. True fly-ins and airshows don't mix well - the airshow dominates and really screws up the fly-in. An airshow is a spectator event, while a real fly-in is a participation event, totally different game.....

By closing the airspace for that long it forces all the rest of the recreational flying into the remaining time left. Just imagine, by the time the pylon racing is finished at 0800 there'll probably be several aircraft maneuvering around outside waiting to enter and then having to sort out their order of approach, meanwhile there'll be a que of aircraft on the ground waiting for a chance to take off. Then it's going to be a frantic two hours of dealers wanting to do as many demos as possible and flyers just wanting to have a fly, so the circuit area is going to be crowded and intense..... And it's not really a full two hours, cause you'll have to be careful how far out you go and keep a good margin so that you don't get caught out by the closure - (and then what do you do and where do you go to wait out three hours!) By the time it's open again it's early afternoon and not the best flying conditions and you don't dare have had a beer at lunch.... Traditionally at Narromine we roamed around the aircraft and met the owners and learned about different aircraft and often swapped rides to get the real feel of another aircraft. That has to be spontaneous with the freedom to go up when the mood is right.... Making an appointment for later is a real hassle cause both are liable to be involved in some other conversation and would need to break away from those visits.

I can't imagine anyone being inspired to take up recreational flying from watching aerobatics. They can see right away that the costs are so far beyond their means that it's not reachable. But I've personally inspired several newcomers to take up their dream of flying. When I see someone looking interested in my aircraft I engage in friendly conversation and ask if they're tempted to take up flying. The typical conversation goes as follows, and has been repeated many times:

Me - "Are you tempted to take up flying?"

He - "Well, I always dreamed of flying but family responsibilities and shortage of money didn't make it possible, but now the kids are gone and I have some time and money to spare, but I still don't know if I could afford it..."

Me - "Well it doesn't have to cost a lot these days. This aircraft cost me about $50k, about the same as a new 4wd, burns premium unleaded and gets about the same mileage as a 4wd, but goes 150 km/hr Xcountry with no doddering caravans or whatever in the way, and we do all our own maintenance which is easy with these engines these days. I built this one from a kit, really easy, just rivet it together, was lots of fun and very satisfying. There's lots of support and help around for beginner builders, and of course lots of advise...... If you do a good job, after a year it's worth more than it cost you, while a 4wd will be rapidly depreciating...... So it is really affordable and enjoyable and the best thing I ever did at this stage of life. Golf and bowls just wouldn't do it....."

He -"But where would I get training?"

Me - "Get online and go to www.raa.asn.au and there you'll find a listing of flying schools all over. Call one and arrange a Training Introductory Flight."

Me -"Would you like to go for a flight right now to see what it feels like??"

If they're really are interested of course they grab the opportunity. I explain what I'm doing all the way and insist that they take the stick for some gentle turns, and then I can feel their excitement! Well now, I reckon that's introduced several, if not many, new flyers into the game, over the years that I've been doing it, many of those times at the old Narromine Fly-Ins , and at many other venues:. But I wouldn't want to try to fit in that hectic gap between airshow activities in the morning, and at lunch I want to have a sit down to rest the weary feet. and a beer. and swap stories with old friends for the rest of afternoon.

I reckon one hour of aerobatics late in the afternoon would be all that a good fly-in should have to tolerate. But of course that wouldn't bring in the paying drive-in public who are required to fund the airshow. So how about if the all the airshow activity was moved to Sunday?? It would still attract the drive-in public, and leave our main day free for the real fly-in participants. And then I and many others could head for home right after Sunday breakfast, very satisfied after an enjoyable Narromine Fly-In.

JG

• Like 1
  • Agree 7