Radio Question

002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif Hi All

Currently in Circuit Training at YRED, my question is when requesting a Radio Check, what is the normal / recommended Radio Call reply to the pilot / aircraft that has responded to my request?

My Instructor did tell me, but for the life of me I have forgotten 045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif

Thanks, Brent

My technique which may or may not be legal/correct is roughly as follows.

1. (If I have heard traffic) "Cessna alpha bravo Charlie, me 1234, radio check." Says me in me1234

"Me1234 Cessna abc reading you (relevant strength here)" hopefully said by Cessna if they have heard me

"Thanks/Roger ABC you are coming through at (insert relevant strength here)" (if it is a quiet airfield I use thanks instead of roger and add a "have a good day" at the end but that will be frowned on by some.)

2(if I haven't heard traffic) "traffic (insert airstrip name here), me 1234 requesting a radio check, traffic (insert airstrip name here)

Then if answered answer them as appropriate as the above example.

• Haha 1

During start up checks I make my call while the oil reaches an adequate temperature.

Me " Airfield radio, G-ABCD requesting airfield information and radio check"

Airfield "G-CD, Airfield Radio, QNH 1012, Runway in use 08 right hand circuit reading you fives"

Me "QNH 1012, Runway 08 right hand circuit, reading you fives (if they're also clear) G-CD"

So I mainly confirm that I'm reading the radio/tower as well. Not sure if it is the same in Oz but imagine it'd be similar.

• Helpful 1

During start up checks I make my call while the oil reaches an adequate temperature.Me " Airfield radio, G-ABCD requesting airfield information and radio check"

Airfield "G-CD, Airfield Radio, QNH 1012, Runway in use 08 right hand circuit reading you fives"

Me "QNH 1012, Runway 08 right hand circuit, reading you fives (if they're also clear) G-CD"

So I mainly confirm that I'm reading the radio/tower as well. Not sure if it is the same in Oz but imagine it'd be similar.

Mainly don't have "airfield radio" in Oz so we are reliant upon other traffic on the same frequency.

To be pedantic, there are no 'fives' in avaition radio these days. Reports are based on a 5 point readability scale. 1 = unreadable 2 = readable now and then 3 = readable but with difficulty 4 = readable 5 = perfectly readable.

I believe the broadcast you would do, Brent, would be something like: "Redcliffe traffic, Tecnam 7600 radio check, Redcliffe"

Someone in the vicinity should reply, "7600, reading you 5 (or otherwise if less than clear), Jabiru 4567."

You should then report their signal back to them, "Jabiru 4567, reading you 5 as well, 7600." (Now you are talking with an individual pilot , not the traffic area, so you can address the callsign without the "Redcliffe Traffic")

Tony

I believe the broadcast you would do, Brent, would be something like: "Redcliffe traffic, Tecnam 7600 radio check, Redcliffe"Someone in the vicinity should reply, "7600, reading you 5 (or otherwise if less than clear), Jabiru 4567."

You should then report their signal back to them, "Jabiru 4567, reading you 5 as well, 7600." (Now you are talking with an individual pilot , not the traffic area, so you can address the callsign without the "Redcliffe Traffic")

Tony

Thanks Tony,

that helps me out heaps, Knowing what to say when another pilot responds to my radio request

Cheers, Brent

Sometimes I forget the other aircraft's callsign, so my reply to them is just, "reading you 5 as well, 7600." Since you have established coms with that other pilot, I think it's ok to drop their callsign, but it's not the best practice:hide:

Hey, wait till you start leaving the circuit area and start making your Circuit departure, rejoin and inbound calls.

The important thing is, that we talk with other pilots on the radio, especially when we are at non-controlled airfields or in their vicinity. It is our responsibility to accurately and clearly organize our separation when in the air. The more we talk, the more successful we will be at this very important task.