Wall size WAC chart

Try Westprint Maps in Nhill Victoria. They may not have a WAC but they do stock a good range. Their customer service has always been very good in my experience.

Normally it's not one WAC but a whole of AUS pack with the edges cut off and then put together.

And when you start joining them together, you start to see the curvature of the Earth forming. The edges of the maps don't line up neatly.

I hope that you have a very, very high wall to put your map on. Check the scale of the map and compare it to the actual size of Australia.

Oh, and start at the top of the wall.

OME

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

You are on the ball OME . Different latitudes don't meet at top and bottom edges as they use different standard parallels, as you go north/south. Lambert's conformal orthomorphic is the chart basis and is correct (to a point ) that all actual areas are in proportion to real areas. Constant scale. This is impossible to achieve unless you have the globe as a map, but it's good improve on Mercator, which has enormous distortions of scale near the poles. I've seen large wall aggregations of WAC charts where a fair attempt has been made to match them at the margins but it doesn't really work neatly. Nev

• Like 1

G'day aj

You will need a bxxdy big wall to fit all the 1:1,000,000 WACs covering Australia - approx 5 * 5 meters.

Also, as has been said above, they will fit together side by side but because of the projection (Lamberts Conic Conformal) each 'row' is a different curve and do not match up. 083_lost.gif.2c655b36c89d6cff882e0dc8f9fc5e85.gif

A better option for a home or classroom wall map is the 1:2,500,000 Topographic map of Australia. This chart comes in 4 sheets which fit together and cover about 2 * 2 meters.

They are available from National Mapping at about $10 per sheet.

DWF 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Depends how much you love maps, Andrew. I do and have covered a wall with 1:25k topo maps. Even at that scale the lat/long lines are hard enough to line up. If you really, truly want accuracy, curve your wall: apply a bit of maths to the wall framework. With care and water, gyprock can be curved.

G'day aj

You will need a bxxdy big wall to fit all the 1:1,000,000 WACs covering Australia - approx 5 * 5 meters.

DWF 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Yes I remember that bloody wall with WA and the Indian Ocean, chinagraph pencils and perspex templates David.

Hi Folks

I can arrange to get the AvPlan EFB MegaWAC (Australia wide) printed if you want one. For good resolution its going to be around 2m x 2m in size.

If you're interested, email [email protected] and I will put you in touch with the printer.

Thanks

Bevan..

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Informative 1

Hi FolksI can arrange to get the AvPlan EFB MegaWAC (Australia wide) printed if you want one. For good resolution its going to be around 2m x 2m in size.

If you're interested, email [email protected] and I will put you in touch with the printer.

Thanks

Bevan..

Just to add some weight to the idea. I'm keen as well.

I have spoken to a number of people over the years who have expressed similar wishes that they could get a big map from the WACs.

I think there would be a market for these.

• Agree 2

You do realise that you will have to keep the updates up to date!

I remember in the good old days that we used to get updates for WAC charts several times a year. That was a bugger of a job putting them on the charts.

While it is possible to cut and paste and shrink edges to make them match, the maps so produced will not have the accuracy that the original projections had. It's impossible to make a map from a sphere (and a flattened one at that) and transfer it to a flat surface. The "original" WAC uses two parallels of longitude so what is between them is smaller than what is outside of them. The earth's features are projected onto the cone so it's a good compromise for true representation of shape and a common scale for distance over the map surface. The "chosen" Parallels vary depending on the latitude covered so that's the reason they don't match at the top and bottom borders, with adjacent maps. Nev

Our chart will print and be great for a wall. One of our customers had a 5x5 metre copy printed and epoxyed it into the floor of their hangar. Looks awesome!

I'll have something in a day or so for you all

• Like 5
  • Helpful 1
  • Informative 1

Thanks everyone for the comments and help!

Bevan, I'm excited about the opportunity to get a print run of your MegaWAC!

I'll measure some wall sizes and get in touch.

Is it possible to go bigger than 2m X 2m ?

Sorry, just saw the post about the 5 X 5M one that was epoxied to the hangar floor.

What a great idea!

Only my hangar floor has plenty of cracks in it... we are on black soil that swells and moves every time is rains so concrete always cracks here.

I'm thinking I could screw plywood to one wall of my hangar and somehow attach it to the ply. Not sure how I would protect it from moisture and dust- I don't imaging anyone can laminate a 3 X 3 meter map??

Sorry, just saw the post about the 5 X 5M one that was epoxied to the hangar floor.What a great idea!

Only my hangar floor has plenty of cracks in it... we are on black soil that swells and moves every time is rains so concrete always cracks here.

I'm thinking I could screw plywood to one wall of my hangar and somehow attach it to the ply. Not sure how I would protect it from moisture and dust- I don't imaging anyone can laminate a 3 X 3 meter map??

Speak to the lady of the house. She has been covering kids schoolbooks with contact for years and can give you a very quick and authoritative lesson in laminating without raising a sweat.