Personal Locator Beacons

Photoshop and a laserjet printer?

On the 410 it is etched into the plastic body. That said, all I can find in CARs is that if it is a portable type, then it must meet the standards and be in working order.

On the 410 it is etched into the plastic body. That said, all I can find in CARs is that if it is a portable type, then it must meet the standards and be in working order.

If the CAR is right then, putting your own statement of battery fitness on it would count.

Change the battery yourself and take it along to a trophy engraving shop and they can engrave the fitment date and new expiry date(+5years) neat as you please.

If you're happy flying in a self-built plane with a self-maintained engine then why wouldn't you be happy with a self-rebatteryed PLB. It all fits in as part of the same Ethos.

• Agree 2

If the CAR is right then, putting your own statement of battery fitness on it would count.Change the battery yourself and take it along to a trophy engraving shop and they can engrave the fitment date and new expiry date(+5years) neat as you please.

If you're happy flying in a self-built plane with a self-maintained engine then why wouldn't you be happy with a self-rebatteryed PLB. It all fits in as part of the same Ethos.

I don't think it has anything to do with any CAR.

Again I say :Servicing - Beacons

• Helpful 1
  • Informative 1

Ah well, that chokes off self service.

Most standards for electronics just run on about voltage, emissions, permitted variances and the like. Nothing about who can service them, otherwise how would HAM radio guys be able to build their radios from kits...

I'm in same boat, my plb (kannad xs4) just passed its battery life. Reading car 252 it does state epirb not plb but the casa ramp check has epirb/plb??

Can anyone throw any light on this situation.

CIVIL AVIATION REGULATIONS 1988 - REG 252A

Emergency locator transmitters

(1) The pilot in command of an Australian aircraft that is not an exempted aircraft may begin a flight only if the aircraft:

(a) is fitted with an approved ELT:

(i) that is in working order; and

(ii) whose switch is set to the position marked 'armed', if that switch has a position so marked; or

(b) carries, in a place readily accessible to the operating crew, an approved portable ELT that is in working order.

Then on to what approved means....

(6) To be an approved portable ELT, an eligible ELT must meet the following requirements:

(a) it must be portable;

(b) it must be of one of the following types:

(i) an emergency position indicating radio beacon of a type that meets the requirements of AS/NZS 4280.1:2003;

(ii) a personal locator beacon of a type that meets the requirements of AS/NZS 4280.2:2003;

(iii) a type authorised by the FAA in accordance with:

(A) TSO-C91a for operation on 121.5 MHz; and

(B) TSO-C126 for operation in the frequency band 406 MHz-406.1 MHz;

(iv) a type that CASA is satisfied:

(A) is operationally equivalent to a type mentioned in subparagraph (i), (ii) or (iii); and

(B) performs at a level that is at least equivalent to the level of performance of a type mentioned in subparagraph (i), (ii) or (iii).

Then the standards.....

(7) In this regulation:

" approved ELT " means an eligible ELT that meets the requirements mentioned in subregulation (5).

" approved portable ELT " means an eligible ELT that meets the requirements mentioned in subregulation (6).

AS/NZS 4280.1:2003 means:

(a) the standard AS/NZS 4280.1:2003, 406 MHz satellite distress beacons, Part 1: Marine emergency position-indicating radio beacons (EPIRB) (IEC 61097-2:2002, MOD) , as in force from time to time; or

(b) a later edition of the standard mentioned in paragraph (a), as in force from time to time.

AS/NZS 4280.2:2003 means:

(a) the standard AS/NZS 4280.2:2003, 406 MHz satellite distress beacons, Part 2: Personal locator beacons (PLBs) , as in force from time to time; or

(b) a later edition of the standard mentioned in paragraph (a), as in force from time to time.

" eligible ELT " means an emergency locator transmitter, emergency position indicating radio beacon or personal locator beacon that meets the requirements mentioned in subregulation (4).

• Haha 1

Sorry just read 252a again and it says ELT and not epirb. So I'm hoping my kannad xs4 is approved.

It is if it complies with AS/NZS 4280.2:2003

Even then, there is an out:

with....

(4) For an emergency locator transmitter, emergency position indicating radio beacon or personal locator beacon to be an eligible ELT, it must meet the following requirements:

(a) it must, if activated, operate simultaneously:

(i) in the frequency band 406 MHz-406.1 MHz; and

(ii) on 121.5 MHz;

(b) it must be registered with the Australian Maritime Safety Authority;

© if it is fitted with a lithium-sulphur dioxide battery--the battery must be of a type authorised by the FAA in accordance with TSO-C142 or TSO-C142a.

AND

A sailor, Bill Belchar (excuse spelling) had two EPIRB's, they both were faulty. He made world news after stranding on Middlton reef, then cutting the drougs off the liferaft, to drift within cooee of Queensland beaches before rescue.

spacesailor

• Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...