kgwilson

"Won’t you join our Common Market?" said the spider to the fly,

"It really is a winner and the cost is not too high."

"I know De Gaulle said 'Non', but he hadn’t got a clue,"

"We want you in, my friends and I, for we have plans for you."

"You’ll have to pay a little more than we do, just for now,"

"As Herr Kohl said, and I agree, we need a new milch cow,"

"It’s just a continental term, believe me, mon ami,"

"Like 'Vive la France' or 'Mad Anglais' or even 'EEC'.

"As to the rules, don’t worry friend, there’s really but a few,"

"You’ll find that we ignore them - but they all apply to you."

"Give and share between us, that’s what it’s all about,"

"You do all the giving, and we all share it out."

"It’s very British, is it not, to help a friend in need?"

"You’ve done it twice in two World Wars, a fact we must concede,"

"So climb aboard the Market Train, don’t sit there on the side,"

"Your continental cousins want to take you for a ride."

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 4

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way Turkey is going it will never join the EU. The current leader is taking it to a more Islamic state than ever was envisaged by the sectarian society, promoting, visionary Attaturk .

The EU..It was/ is a trade cartel but HAS enabled more efficiency on trade and border crossings etc and you might have just happened to notice there hasn't been any wars for a while with the warring tribes of Europe. They used to have a barney about every 20 years or so.

The vote is a narrow one at a point of high concern about refugees and a lot of the arguments were lacking in reasoned debate. Scotland is close to 100% for the EU so they will remove themselves from the British vote by another plebiscite. Promoters of LEAVE used some pretty "ordinary" arguments to get some of the votes their way. The common currency was/is a predictable problem over a lot of countries, but on balance it has been better for the people involved and the rest of the world and is always a work in progress as anything involving society is. There are NO simple answers that solve problems for all time. This will be damaging for a lot of people and don't forget nearly 1 out of 2 didn't want it. Not ALL of the AFFECTED people were asked. They just have to cop their loss and no one knows just how much that will be. This sort of thing is like a constitutional change and in most organisations needs more than one over a simple majority. Rule Britannia!!! Britannia Rules the waves. Long time since that one meant anything, and it was only rule by Gunboat and colonisation which like slavery should remain outlawed. Include Global Corporatisation in that too. for anyone to be free. Nev

• Like 2
  • Caution 1

The way Turkey is going it will never join the EU. The current leader is taking it to a more Islamic state than ever was envisaged by the sectarian society, promoting, visionary Attaturk .The EU..It was/ is a trade cartel but HAS enabled more efficiency on trade and border crossings etc and you might have just happened to notice there hasn't been any wars for a while with the warring tribes of Europe. They used to have a barney about every 20 years or so.

The vote is a narrow one at a point of high concern about refugees and a lot of the arguments were lacking in reasoned debate. Scotland is close to 100% for the EU so they will remove themselves from the British vote by another plebiscite. Promoters of LEAVE used some pretty "ordinary" arguments to get some of the votes their way. The common currency was/is a predictable problem over a lot of countries, but on balance it has been better for the people involved and the rest of the world and is always a work in progress as anything involving society is. There are NO simple answers that solve problems for all time. This will be damaging for a lot of people and don't forget nearly 1 out of 2 didn't want it. Not ALL of the AFFECTED people were asked. They just have to cop their loss and no one knows just how much that will be. This sort of thing is like a constitutional change and in most organisations needs more than one over a simple majority. Rule Britannia!!! Britannia Rules the waves. Long time since that one meant anything, and it was only rule by Gunboat and colonisation which like slavery should remain outlawed. Include Global Corporatisation in that too. for anyone to be free. Nev

I have no real knowledge of the real reasons or implications of the Brexit (and couldn't care less either).

But the wars thing has been touted by a few people over the last few days but I seem to remember some that have been conveniently forgotten (or equally conveniently not called "war" even though people were killing each left right and centre).

Some were in communist annexed countries who wanted to join the rest of Europe (Hungary, Czechoslovakia)

Greece in the late 40s and early 50s

There was a war in those two countries that were in/still are the EU (Northern Ireland and England)

And I don't know was was who in the Croatia, Albania, Bosnia stoush but since NATO (or the UN) were dropping bombs and the other guys were firing artillery back you would have to call that a war, unless it just was useful not to attach labels or go there.

The other thing I seemed to get out of the snippets I saw was the "stay in" mob seemed to be basing their desire on money and the "get out" pundits were basically saying they wanted a lifestyle they chose for themselves. Regardless of whether its good or bad in the long run that was always going to be the final decider. Half the smaller countries of the world have moribund economies but being in charge of their own destines is paramount. (and is an ideal encouraged by the rest of the world)

all you need to know: imagine Pauline Hanson wanted Tasmania to secede from Australia to stop the asians.

Ms Hansen isn't a tasmanian.

I think to get it more accurate you would have to say a tasmanian (I don't actually know of a prominant tasmanian (not saying there aren't any just that I don't know any tasmanian politicians)

Still I guess if the majority want it. Then that's their call.

Britain has seemed to go downhill since joining the EU. It appears to me that its agricultural industry has just about expired. I know that GA in Britain is very unhappy with the European mathods and EASA.

For us I think there will be no downside. There may be a better market for our agricultural and other products into Britain, who knows they may even want to buy our iron ore or coal. They used to have a manufacturing industry as we did.

As an ex pom I am all for britain being independent. I certainly wouldn't want to be ruled from Brussels.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1
  • Caution 1

Britain has seemed to go downhill since joining the EU.

In 1964 my parents brought me (at the age of 2) to Australia (as a 10 pound pom) because the future in the UK seemed so bleak. Since then the standard of living for the average British citizen has improved. I can not agree that the life of the average working person has got any worse than before EU, but perhaps you have so me examples of how Britain has gone downhill since the EU?

• Like 1

As an ex pom I am all for britain being independent. I certainly wouldn't want to be ruled from Brussels.

Judging by the murmurings from Northern Ireland and Scotland, "Britain" might actually cease to exist as we know it in the not-too-distant future.

While I don't particularly care what Britain does, I see the "leave" vote being based mostly on emotion, rather than practicality or modern reality. When you're voting emotionally, you need to be careful what you wish for. Unintended consequences are common.

• Agree 6

It would sem that those left behind by globalisation were the main ones voting in favor of leaving the EU. It seems to me that the media are pushing the barrow that leaving is a bad thing and they are selling it for all they're worth. For example, I saw a report on commercial TV news tonight where the reporter said words to the effect "Nearly 50% of the population voted to stay in the EU. There is widespread discontent at the outcome."

So why didn't the reporter say "Over 50% of the population voted to leave the EU. There is widespread jubilation at the outcome."?

Ms Hansen isn't a tasmanian.

And we are forever grateful for that fact.

just that I don't know any tasmanian politicians

Well, it's kind of like family members (no Tassie jokes please) - there's the wise old grandfather who the young'uns sneer at but who actually makes a lot of sense (Bob Brown), then there's the boring uncle you don't invite to Christmas (Eric Abetz). Not to mention the other weird uncle whose propensity towards litigious behaviour discourages me from naming him.

The Brexit is so close to even ie.50% either way. In a tense emotional situation that is not the outcome that is the end of the matter. The market forces have yet to make their effect known Instability is not a plus. It's easy to say no one is going to tell me what to do. Going it alone, you have to know what you are about. Some companies won't know where they are legally for months. If you are a risk taker you should assess the risks or you are a fool. This hasn't been done here. Nev

• Agree 1

And we are forever grateful for that fact.

If She were a Tasmanian she wouldn't exist as the Hanson we know.

She is from a suburb that various immigrants are fed into nilly willy and she and many others are the ones that have to cope with the good and the bad of those various cultures.

And let me point out that some of those cultures are just bl00dy wonderful, Australia wouldn't be half of what it is without the Italian and Greek immigration of the past.

It's easy to sit in a quiet corner of Tasmania and call everyone in her situation bigots, racist etc, but they are the people dealing with it on a daily basis in their areas and see the lowest disgusting cultures that are offensive to our established ways - just as our established ways are sometimes offensive in their cultures, something I know first hand here in China.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The Brexit is so close to even ie.50% either way.

That's the overall count, but there were major swings depending on the area.

The Scots were the most 'Stay', but they have been on easy street handouts for a few hundred years so no surprise there, and the deeper you got into blue collar, i.e. the areas where the "Immigrants" actually go to (again, various good and bad cultures) and they have to deal with it, the bigger the swing to 'Leave'.

• Agree 1

It's easy to sit in a quiet corner of Tasmania and call everyone in her situation bigots, racist etc

It's easy to sit anywhere and say anything. And please point out where I called Pauline a bigot or a racist - I've questioned her intelligence and her attitude to immigrants, and her propensity for silly comments, and I don't think I'm far off the mark.

No one is saying that immigration is an easy subject and yes there are areas where problems caused by recently arrived ethnic groups are almost as bad as other areas where slightly more established populations of Anglo-Saxons have had 200 years to get it right. But Pauline and her far-right, populist, single-issue ilk are a knee-jerk reaction and not a solution.

• Agree 3

The Scots were the most 'Stay', but they have been on easy street handouts for a few hundred years so no surprise there

"handouts for a few hundred years". Not exactly accurate......

...and the deeper you got into blue collar, i.e. the areas where the "Immigrants" actually go to (again, various good and bad cultures) and they have to deal with it, the bigger the swing to 'Leave'.

Which, if true, means that Scotland with its large blue collar workforce should've voted "leave". But they didn't.

Both pre-poll and post-poll analysis showed voting clearly correlated with age. Younger generations overwhelmingly voted to remain while older generations voted to leave.

Almost every area with more than 30% residents not born in the UK clearly voted "remain". This completely defies the principle that areas with lots of immigrants would vote to leave.

• Informative 1

....... and see the lowest disgusting cultures that are offensive to our established ways

Every culture has its problems but these are very often related to local community problems.

The local white Aussie kids here (we have almost no immigrant population in the region - all our dole bludgers and criminals are white Australians) torched a stolen Audi on the side of the road the other night. The most disturbing thing? When I saw it parked there the previous night in the general area they dump all their stolen cars every weekend, I thought "I bet they'll come back and set fire to it soon". And I'm no Nostradamus.

So given that it's so common and "normal" here, should I take it as an established part of our Aussie culture? Because if I was an immigrant and didn't know the country any better, I'd think it was! I'd think we're all a bunch of petty thieves with no jobs, no aspirations, and no respect for other people's property.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1
  • Winner 1

Many immigrant nations (Oz, USA, etc) and others that arose from the ashes of war have the benefit of a constitution that requires major changes to pass by two thirds, or by majorities in a majority of states.

Many nations have run-off elections to ensure they get a true reflection of the will of the people.

Why does Britain have to undergo a momentous change due to this small margin in a one-off vote across the whole nation?

The rising recriminations are likely to rip Great Britain apart. NATO is next. Vlad couldn't be happier. The Russian bear is poised to take back the Baltic States. Amidst the disunity, which European nation would send their youth to die for tiny little Estonia, Latvia or Lithuania?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Proves Putins strong man image is the answer to all the problems of government. Just tell them he knows what is best for the country, and that's what is going to happen, or else. Stops the masses making silly decisions. No uncertainty. Russia is broke though. Nev

Proves Putins strong man image is the answer to all the problems of government. Just tell them he knows what is best for the country, and that's what is going to happen, or else. Stops the masses making silly decisions. No uncertainty. Russia is broke though. Nev

..so was Germany in 1939. The only way Der Fuhrer could avoid national bankruptcy was to plunder his neighbours. It worked for a couple of years... Let's hope history doesn't repeat.

• Agree 1