Video: How to Preflight a Jabiru

That looked like it covered everything but I skipped through.

Not a preflight technically but I do control checks while taxing.

Full and free movement and in the correct sense. That is, left aileron up when you push the stick left, right aileron up when you push the stick right.

And another check immediately before giving it the beans for take off.

Recently added another - check flaps have full range of movement (and then set for takeoff).

• Like 1

Another check from the manual is (with the brakes applied) to rock the plane back and forth and check any play between the undercarriage legs and the fuselage.

• Like 1

Don't fly a Jab but - Sorry I have a problem with this. I did not see the engine cowls come off. Also have watched others not take a cowl off with preflight (yes first of the day ) and go flying with RAA planes. This is becoming madness.

With the cowls off you inspect the engine, condition of oil lines, wiring, fluids, and any leaks developing. AND most important, condition of engine mounts and steel welded engine frame for cracks on welds (especially after a hard landing or hours of circuit training) if renting from a flying school you have no idea what has happened. I know he said I will do fuel and oil later. But just lifting the oil flap and check level is not good enough, the engine inspection is MAJOR requirement for first flight or as PIC.

Suggest you redo the vid or say part one airframe and part to for engine and its systems.

Also for Rotax or water cooled engines, inspection of water lines, condition of hoses, etc "under the engine" not just the top.

Thanks for your feedback SSCBD. I'll have a chat to the instructor about checking the internals of the engine. As far as I recall though, it's not mentioned in the flight manual to inspect the internals of the engine. Nevertheless, the point you make seems valid to me. Maybe someone who flies a jab can share more light on this issue.

As for the fuel/oil I have been taught to separate these checks from the standard preflight routine, which I think is a good idea.

Rich

Don't fly a Jab but - Sorry I have a problem with this. I did not see the engine cowls come off. Also have watched others not take a cowl off with preflight (yes first of the day ) and go flying with RAA planes. This is becoming madness.With the cowls off you inspect the engine, condition of oil lines, wiring, fluids, and any leaks developing. AND most important, condition of engine mounts and steel welded engine frame for cracks on welds (especially after a hard landing or hours of circuit training) if renting from a flying school you have no idea what has happened. I know he said I will do fuel and oil later. But just lifting the oil flap and check level is not good enough, the engine inspection is MAJOR requirement for first flight or as PIC.

Suggest you redo the vid or say part one airframe and part to for engine and its systems.

Also for Rotax or water cooled engines, inspection of water lines, condition of hoses, etc "under the engine" not just the top.

Just a question SSCBD, do you pull the cowls off on every preflight in a Cassna etc. (or even a twin). I would suggest not practicable for a preflight unless the aircraft has been standing for an extended period. The subject is a preflight inspection not maintenance.

• Agree 2
  • Helpful 1

Was waiting for that one, well done Frank - Oh yes the difference is that these aircraft have a maintenance history under stricter control, and strict known factory build and checked by LAME's.

Frank I am a firm believer that we need to be vigilant and confirm visually with RAA aircraft at present. Visual checks only cost time. I am for the freedoms we get under RAA but also have watched many failures specifically hoses rubbing, wires rubbing, and cracks in mounts ect over the last 30 years.

We have come a long way with the machines we have today, BUT level 2 maintenance quality by people still has its ups and downs.

So again a simple visual can stop a lot of cost or hurt and reports we don't want to see.

To put it another are you sure you want to risk a PAX life when you cant see all of the engine frame and hoses of a hired plane and that you have no idea what it has done sine the last 100 hourly. Sorry not me if I am hiring.

I certainly remove the upper cowl for first inspection of the day and the lower cowl every 10 hrs or so or if the plane has not been used for a while.

• Agree 1

I certainly remove the upper cowl for first inspection of the day and the lower cowl every 10 hrs or so or if the plane has not been used for a while.

Common sense prevails. Thanks Geoff good answer.

Hi SSCBD, I spoke to my instructor about inspecting the engine during the preflight. He said for the first flight of the day, as Geoff mentions, an engine inspection is preformed. I've updated the video description to emphasize this point. Thanks for for your feedback.

Rich

• Informative 1