Fly-in resorts, and accommodation.

JG3

I drew up this Google map to show airstrips within 1 km of pubs and food. A few fly-in resorts and accommodation have sneaked in, but they're not really the same. There seems to be a demand for a map of such accommodation, and I know there are quite a few fliers travelling around these days who have found excellent places. Someone should start such a map, but I'm not interested cause I'm a dedicated camper and never use such accommodation. It's really easy with Google Maps, and once started, the list will build quickly from suggestions of those who have found suitable places.

Anyone interested in doing it???

Hello, would you release this under an open-source licence such as BEERWARE?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
Kooralbyn resort is now open for aviators ,1.4 klm airstrip, walk to shops and resort (about2,and 4 mins) soon to have 98 mogas at the servo , coffee is great at cafe and if you eat/stay no landing fees

cheers Gareth

I thought I would resurrect this old thread to provide updated info about Kooralbyn Airport as a destination for breakfast/coffee lunch etc.

We recently flew into Kooralbyn from Archerfield for the all-you-can-eat buffet breakfast for $22 at Lilies Restaurant, which includes reasonable flat white coffee out of a machine, cereal, fruit and the usual full hot breakfast items. Coffee connoisseurs, you've been warned! At least you can go back and try the other coffee selections for no extra cost. There is also a toasting machine and a pancake-making machine to play with as well. The restaurant is located in the Kooralbyn Resort main building about 200m from the airstrip.

Valley Kitchen Cafe(VK's), closer to the airfield, is also very popular but we have yet to try this.

On the operational side, the new bitumen surface is excellent quality and the new windsock has been re-located to the parking area in front of the now unfortunately vandalised terminal building and former sky-diving base.

It is of concern to me that the displaced thresholds, that were clearly marked when I was last here 23 years ago, have not been repainted on the new bitumen. I remember the Chief Pilot, under whose AOC I was operating a C206 for charters at the time, reminding me on more than one occasion about how important these were considering the surrounding hilly terrain. I have noticed at least one aircraft landing very short of where these displaced thresholds once were. 

I cannot find any old photos on the internet which show clearly where these thresholds once were, but there is a small history section display on the left hand side of the Resort reception area as you walk in where there is a clear photo of the runway thresholds as they once were. Here a pilot can clearly see where they are in relation to the lakes at the SE end and the parking and terminal area at the NW end.

Does anyone have an old photo that shows these displaced thresholds?

Oh, so many to add! My Faves

Gulgong (Near Mudgee NSW) - We flew into Gulgong Aero club last year and not only found out they had two beautiful self-contained huts, but the guy who ran the place was super lovely and helpful. Even lent us his ute for us to head into town.  http://gulgongaeropark.com.au/about-us/background/

Milawa - the airstrip is right next to the Brown Brothers vinyard. Excellent day trip for some wine tasting and unbelievable restraunt. There is a fancy place to stay just across the road. 

Mudgee - we went a fee weekends ago, write up here - https://flyaboutaustralia.wordpress.com/2019/02/23/mudgee-weekender/

The rest - There were plenty during our flyabout in 2016, but a stand out fave was Dunk Island. https://flyaboutaustralia.wordpress.com/2016/08/28/island-hopping-part-1/ 

Gday, 

I'm a dedicated camper and not interested in fly-in resorts or restaurants, so not interested in adding them to the map of Airfields within 1km of food and pub

I thought someone else was going to set up such a map for those resorts and restaurants. Someone should; I reckon it'd be really popular. It's easy with Google Maps.

• Like 2

Gday, 

I'm a dedicated camper and not interested in fly-in resorts or restaurants, so not interested in adding them to the map of Airfields within 1km of food and pub

I thought someone else was going to set up such a map for those resorts and restaurants. Someone should; I reckon it'd be really popular. It's easy with Google Maps.

Hey JG, I don't know how to add stuff to your map, but North Talwood has a good dirt strip only just out of town, with a good old fashion pub. Lightning Ridge also, is a bit of a walk, but a good place to stop.

North Talwood added, looks ideal, thank you.

Lightening Ridge is a good stop, but nearly 3km down into town, so outside the 1km limit that I set for the site....

Gday, 

Khancoban NSW meets the requirements. 

Are we welcome to drop in to Khancoban?? I've shied away from it because I'd been told otherwise. It's a very tempting place to land and visit.

I went last winter, contact number wasn't answering, built with government  I mean our money it should be available to all.

I have heard all are welcome now. Nice spot.

Hi JG3,

Caloundra airport should be added, I think. We fly into there 2-3 times a year for a walk around the beaches and back through the town centre.

I think Caloundra would qualify as there is a Hungry Jacks only 500m away. I don't want to debate about the merits of junk food, but last time, the Big Brekky wrap small meal(at $5.95 with the coupon sheet) held us each in good stead for the 10km walk around Caloundra that was in front of us.

Also, the Golden Beach Tavern(GBT) is a bit of a stretch at 1.2km, but it does serve a full breakfast menu on Saturdays and Sundays.

I know you don't want resorts but Cherrabah airstrip, between Warwick and Stanthorpe is an 800m walk to the resort and they won't charge a landing fee if you buy a breakfast off them($20pp) or lunch or stay at the resort. We have used this once when flying to Stanthorpe, when we found the cloud right down to the ground as we approached the high ground of the Granite Belt(not uncommon), and we diverted to Cherrabah to wait for the cloud to lift.

This probably won't happen again any time soon as there is now a well placed and reliable webcam located 14km North of YSPE and pointed directly South to the aerodrome, see here: http://granitebeltweather.com/wx/hireswebcam.htm . Those pilots who regularly fly around SEQ know how different(and worse) the Stanthorpe weather can be compared to the rest of the Darling Downs, so this camera will prove very useful.