Fly-in resorts, and accommodation.

JG3

Hi JG3,

Caloundra airport should be added, I think. We fly into there 2-3 times a year for a walk around the beaches and back through the town centre.

I think Caloundra would qualify as there is a Hungry Jacks only 500m away. I don't want to debate about the merits of junk food, but last time, the Big Brekky wrap small meal(at $5.95 with the coupon sheet) held us each in good stead for the 10km walk around Caloundra that was in front of us.

Also, the Golden Beach Tavern(GBT) is a bit of a stretch at 1.2km, but it does serve a full breakfast menu on Saturdays and Sundays.

I know you don't want resorts but Cherrabah airstrip, between Warwick and Stanthorpe is an 800m walk to the resort and they won't charge a landing fee if you buy a breakfast off them($20pp) or lunch or stay at the resort. We have used this once when flying to Stanthorpe, when we found the cloud right down to the ground as we approached the high ground of the Granite Belt(not uncommon), and we diverted to Cherrabah to wait for the cloud to lift.

This probably won't happen again any time soon as there is now a well placed and reliable webcam located 14km North of YSPE and pointed directly South to the aerodrome, see here: http://granitebeltweather.com/wx/hireswebcam.htm . Those pilots who regularly fly around SEQ know how different(and worse) the Stanthorpe weather can be compared to the rest of the Darling Downs, so this camera will prove very useful.

There is also a cafe in the Queensland Air Museum  just across from the parking area. Haven’t actually tried it but there is a sign outside. Museum itself is well worth a look.

• Agree 1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hay, NSW, (YHAY)is only a 15 minute walk into town if travelling light. Rooms at the Saltbush Motel very good and great brekky next door.

Corowa (YCOR) also great. Stay at Motel Meneres (ring direct to book) and Leah will pick you up from the airport if you explain that you’re not at Albury, but the local field.

• Agree 1