Sport Pilot, has the rot set in ?

I notice with interest that the number of paid advertisements per edition appears to be on the decline. The current July mag appears to be down on the past two editions. Can anyone shed some light on this and who is going to pick up any financial shortfall ?

• Informative 1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Accountants are big on shrinking things that cost. When things take off there is no spare capacity to go with it. I don't think they make superb CEO's. I've worked with a number and seen the effect of a few others. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

Get a new accountant, yours must be giving crook advise.

Lesson one.

Welcome to the real world. For example read below and by the way it takes out other major banks we all know. Then Aussie land has real problems.

Jul 10, 2016 3:50 PM

Deutsche Bank stock is now worth just 8% of its peak 2007 value. It’s already been a loooong ride downhill for one of Europe’s most iconic banks, but Brexit kicked DB in the crotch because almost 20% of its revenues came from the UK, bringing its stock down to a groveling “crash value” now of $12.60 a share. One of the world’s largest and oldest banks looks ready to fall into the gaping abyss of the Epocalypse. No wonder European banksters are screaming “Bailout!”

AND

Nothing is more shameless in a bedazzling sort of way than rich banksters standing on the public curb with their hands out. First, we had the admission this past week by a major French bank that Italian banks are so sick (and so too big to fail) they could cause systemic banking failure throughout Europe if not bailed out by over-taxed taxpayers.

Lorenzo Bini Smaghi — who was a member of the European Central Bank’s executive board and who is now Chair of French megabank Societe Generale — said the only way to save European banks, if they start to fall like dominoes due to Italy’s banking problems, is with taxpayer-funded bailouts.

Europe’s banking market faces the risk of a systemic crisis unless governments accept the idea of taxpayer money as the ultimate recourse in a crisis, Bini Smaghi said. Any intervention should be as swift as possible, he said.

A French CEO says his massive bank and others could fall like dominoes due to Italy’s problems? That has to be good for his falling stocks. So, you ask yourself, why would he say something to spook an already scared stock market?

Then we had Italy’s prime minister, Matteo Renzi, pressuring Europe to bail out Italy’s banks by pointing out that Italian bank problems with bad loans pale in comparison to Deutsche Bank’s towering derivatives problem over in Germany.

Gee, you’d think they were trying to talk the EU into a panic … as if it weren’t already there. Considering that 17% of Italy’s bank loans have gone sour (which sounds monumental to me), Deutsche Bank must be bad beyond belief at a hundred times worse! That’d be an undoable 170% bad, which is pretty dang bad!

• Like 1

Lesson one.Welcome to the real world. For example read below and by the way it takes out other major banks we all know. Then Aussie land has real problems.

Jul 10, 2016 3:50 PM

Deutsche Bank stock is now worth just 8% of its peak 2007 value. It’s already been a loooong ride downhill for one of Europe’s most iconic banks, but Brexit kicked DB in the crotch because almost 20% of its revenues came from the UK, bringing its stock down to a groveling “crash value” now of $12.60 a share. One of the world’s largest and oldest banks looks ready to fall into the gaping abyss of the Epocalypse. No wonder European banksters are screaming “Bailout!”

AND

Nothing is more shameless in a bedazzling sort of way than rich banksters standing on the public curb with their hands out. First, we had the admission this past week by a major French bank that Italian banks are so sick (and so too big to fail) they could cause systemic banking failure throughout Europe if not bailed out by over-taxed taxpayers.

Lorenzo Bini Smaghi — who was a member of the European Central Bank’s executive board and who is now Chair of French megabank Societe Generale — said the only way to save European banks, if they start to fall like dominoes due to Italy’s banking problems, is with taxpayer-funded bailouts.

Europe’s banking market faces the risk of a systemic crisis unless governments accept the idea of taxpayer money as the ultimate recourse in a crisis, Bini Smaghi said. Any intervention should be as swift as possible, he said.

A French CEO says his massive bank and others could fall like dominoes due to Italy’s problems? That has to be good for his falling stocks. So, you ask yourself, why would he say something to spook an already scared stock market?

Then we had Italy’s prime minister, Matteo Renzi, pressuring Europe to bail out Italy’s banks by pointing out that Italian bank problems with bad loans pale in comparison to Deutsche Bank’s towering derivatives problem over in Germany.

Gee, you’d think they were trying to talk the EU into a panic … as if it weren’t already there. Considering that 17% of Italy’s bank loans have gone sour (which sounds monumental to me), Deutsche Bank must be bad beyond belief at a hundred times worse! That’d be an undoable 170% bad, which is pretty dang bad!

Google "Crisis Capital" this is the way that the very rich get very much richer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow!

This must be a new record for thread drift. By post #4 relevance to the original topic was gone. 109_groan.gif.66f71fc85b2fabe1695703d67c904c24.gif

No one that I have spoken to actually reads Sport Pilot sonce it has gone digital. Advertisers won't get any value from their ads unless someone is reading them.

• Agree 10

No one that I have spoken to actually reads Sport Pilot sonce it has gone digital. Advertisers won't get any value from their ads unless someone is reading them.

Yeah, well that includes me. I have tried reading it online but the format is hopelessly small, especially if I try to read it on my iPad mini.

Another sterling success story of doing things based on price rather than the best outcome. I guess that's the world we live in; we don't try to make the best widgets anymore, we only try to make the most profitable widgets.

Well, to balance out the naysaying, I prefer the online version, having just read the whole July mag on my phone (it can be zoomed in, just saying). Heck, even my Dad can manage it fine on his tablet. But where is the fun in actually supporting it? Much easier to whinge

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

For me it's a case of not having it physically there. It's not that I am actively avoiding it but if it was there, where I could trip over it, I probably would read it.

• Agree 2

I just bought the subscription for the magazine and I am happy with that but I have noticed the drop in advertisers. Being a business owner I voiced my concern regarding advertisers in the magazine getting their moneys worth but as I remember people didn't think it was an issue, I can tell you at once stage I was considering advertising in our magazine but once it was taken out of the newsagency's I decided to wait and see how it all went before committing my hard earned and advertising in the magazine, I am still thinking about it !!!!

David

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

It would be fair to say that Sport Pilot isn't as well read by the membership since going online, but is it being read 'online' by non-members? CEO - care to comment?

If RAAus is reaching many more non-members via them reading our SP online - then it's at least achieving its' intention of being good advertising.

If, as I suspect, it's being read less by current RAAus members - then it loses its' value as an information source for members. Whether members should then receive more emailed info from ops and tech is another question. Either way, these employees have to prepare stuff. Perhaps the other question is - do they contribute sufficient to maintain members awareness of changes, and members education on aviation?

Despite the media/press doom & gloom over the economy - it seems a lot of aircraft,(GA & RAAus), are changing hands. How these sales contacts are initiated is unknown to me, but several sales that I'm aware of have been purely 'word-of-mouth' and within state.

happy days,

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Mendelssohn is one advertiser that stopped their full page advert as soon as the magazine circulation to ALL members stopped. I note they still advertise in any of the magazines that can be bought at a News Agent. WHY members classifieds went to Aviation Advertiser I do not know. The new RAAus website could be used for this with a small fee to advertisers.

• Informative 1

The History of all this is available, easily. A lot of magazines were unsold. I believe they should have gone to school libraries etc. Most people I know found out about the AUF or RAAus later by picking up a magazine somewhere.

The advertising income offset the cost, but was a potential benefit if we grew. It would be possible to actually profit from it. The way it eventually was arranged we didn't get the income from advertising. which is a principle I don't understand having appeal, BUT it's a BIG cost and those in the position to know would have the figures and have made a decision. It does serve as the essential dissemination of operational notifications. Not everyone is on line. All operational pilots should have a ready up to date reference available of ALL CURRENT relevant operational material with a confirming checklist. That's Aviation. Nev

• Agree 1

Kids are over loaded with information these days, they don't want to read magazines. Pop into your local news agent and see how many teen and preteen magazines still exist.

The falling readership of the magazine is symptomatic of the RAA's poor communication policy. I'm sure someone will work that out eventually but not before the damage is done.

Kids are over loaded with information these days, they don't want to read magazines. Pop into your local news agent and see how many teen and preteen magazines still exist.The falling readership of the magazine is symptomatic of the RAA's poor communication policy. I'm sure someone will work that out eventually but not before the damage is done.

I too only read the online version occasionally - maybe it's the presentation. There are lots of ways to present online content and I don't think RA-Aus has nailed it.

With regard to communication, I received the following email today (i.e. a few days prior to the event) addressed to all Victorian members - this is at best sloppy -

We're heading to Kyneton and you're invited!

RAAus staff will be at Kyneton Airfield this Sunday (17 July 2016) and would like to invite members to join us for a free sausage sizzle lunch and informal member's forum.

Lunch will be available from 12.30 to 2.00pm

Staff will be in Kyneton developing training videos and an opportunity exists for our members to engage with our Training Coordinator, Hayley, and tech leadership team, Darren and Jared, over the lunch time period.

Our CEO, Michael Linke will also be in town as a guest of the GFA and will be presenting to members as part of their AGM on Saturday at Attwood. It's great to see aviation bodies coming together to share the passion.

Michael will also be joining Hayley, Darren and Jared at lunch to engage with members on Sunday.

So come on down to Kyneton this weekend, catch us in action, have some lunch, and find out what's been happening at RAAus.

I too only read the online version occasionally - maybe it's the presentation. There are lots of ways to present online content and I don't think RA-Aus has nailed it.With regard to communication, I received the following email today (i.e. a few days prior to the event) addressed to all Victorian members - this is at best sloppy -

We're heading to Kyneton and you're invited!

RAAus staff will be at Kyneton Airfield this Sunday (17 July 2016) and would like to invite members to join us for a free sausage sizzle lunch and informal member's forum.

Lunch will be available from 12.30 to 2.00pm

Staff will be in Kyneton developing training videos and an opportunity exists for our members to engage with our Training Coordinator, Hayley, and tech leadership team, Darren and Jared, over the lunch time period.

Our CEO, Michael Linke will also be in town as a guest of the GFA and will be presenting to members as part of their AGM on Saturday at Attwood. It's great to see aviation bodies coming together to share the passion.

Michael will also be joining Hayley, Darren and Jared at lunch to engage with members on Sunday.

So come on down to Kyneton this weekend, catch us in action, have some lunch, and find out what's been happening at RAAus.

I believe it would be great to some day have a magazine that is the combined Sport Pilot / RAAus content and the GFA Gliding content as it would be a good read for the respective members of the two organisations and perhaps every two months if that assists the cost of the publications. The idea has been said before; just keepinf the idea alive.

• Agree 1

Newspaper's business model has been broken since the first 6pm news bulletin, who wants to read about something you saw on TV 12 hours ago?

Don't lose any sleep over the decline Sport Pilot, the exec has a plan.

Is the RAA CEO just at the GFA meeting as a guest speaker or is he making a pitch to bring them under the RAA banner?. I don't recall anything like this being put to RAA members - then again I don't remember being asked about the increase in weight limits eventually to 1500 kg for RAA reg. aircraft. I hope he is going to address the gathering at Kyneton and take questions. Recent events need to be better explained so the membership can make informed opinions about the implications of changes.