Avmap ekp 4

hi

I have a pilot friends ekp 4 here because he has asked me to update his maps on the CF Card.

All I can find is a jeppsen data update for a $50 us. Fee on the AVMAP USA web site. Which possibly can be downloaded. ( unless they block ausie sales )

The avmap web page is of little help, written by people who know all about it and they have forgotten that the ones that rarely use the page might need some extra help in the update process.

I dont know these units very well. And am unsure if this is the correct way to go.

Can anyone advise what is the process to update map data on a ekp 4 please.

I think it might be to buy the down load and copy the file onto the card , but is it that simple .

What started this quest was when he got a big red cross on his map screen?

hiI have a pilot friends ekp 4 here because he has asked me to update his maps on the CF Card.

What started this quest was when he got a big red cross on his map screen?

Aye,Aye, the red cross usually means no GPS attached (from a poor memory).

The maps can be downloaded from the Iti site and the instructions are clearly provided ; involves removal of the 'old' data files and reloading the new onto the CF card (via a CF card reader). Usually a warning message comes up on bootup regarding the date of maps. The Italian people are most helpful via eMail. ( in my experience). The killer is the newer data requires a larger CF card from the original 512 mB.

Aye,Aye, the red cross usually means no GPS attached (from a poor memory).The maps can be downloaded from the Iti site and the instructions are clearly provided ; involves removal of the 'old' data files and reloading the new onto the CF card (via a CF card reader). Usually a warning message comes up on bootup regarding the date of maps. The Italian people are most helpful via eMail. ( in my experience). The killer is the newer data requires a larger CF card from the original 512 mB.

Thanks Ian starting to feel more confident . The red cross bit actually could well be correct because the gps antenna was disconnected at the time , so it would have had no signal. However i think his maps are well out of date.so eill continue to follow up. Thanks mate Brian

I dont find "out of date EKP maps" to be a problem. Places rarely move or appear/disappear. Although some of the aviation data might get dated. I did note a substantial town in Victoria (Yea) wasn't on the map, an email to AVmap fixed that somewhat later. I update my Jeppensen map from the AVmap/it. website every 2 or 3 years...Not difficult, a card reader is cheap

Thanks for the reply..understand the update system now. I cant update until i go back to the hangar and fire up the unit to get the codes required which then need to go into the update process.

Thanks all for your help.

Ps i have a brand new backup battery here for a EKP4 if anyone needs one.