RAAus Online Learning - L1 Maintenance Authority

Roundsounds

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a problem with that, Where is the practical session? My way of thinking there has to be a hands on element.Regards,

KP

Becomes complicated and costly then Keith - Finding and paying an "Approved testing officer" and location limited.

Yes Ive just done the test & didnt go great but passed as I have problem getting around computers .if you are ok with computrs I dont think it would be too hard to refer to learning guide & get 100%.Anyone with a bit of nouse doing a service or whatever & having a problem would surely contact machine or engine manufacturer for assistance which most are only too glad to help.

• Agree 1

Hi folks

I've just been looking at the L1 online course content. Doesn't seem unreasonable -but nowhere in the instructions does it tell you HOW the online learning system operates, and how long it will take. DingerPPC, (or anybody) can you let me know whether you can log in and out of the course as you do it ( i.e. complete it over a series of days, or weeks), and how long it took you to get through? Also, what reference materials did you need to refer to? The tech manual obviously, but what else?

Also, I'm assuming that those who already have L1 stamped on their certificates need to do this .... can anybody tell me how long we've got before our current L1 status becomes invalid? I'm assuming its like when they introduced 'Human Factors' and we get a few months grace period to do the course...

Cheers

Alan

Becomes complicated and costly then Keith - Finding and paying an "Approved testing officer" and location limited.

Hello Frank back again with this L1 monster. My way of thinking the L1 does not have to be hard and complicated. Have some training sessions across the country delivered by those with training assessing qualifications, there are people in our midsts who can perform that task. The content is about as I have seen two very good short courses and they clearly demonstrated what we need to know. I really think there should be a practical session involved for those who learn by hands on, for those who need to see the difference in objects, practical use of a tension wrench and other issues we have to verify that all are on the same song sheet. This tick and flick on a computer really demonstrates one can read we got confirm they understand.

When the GM went to Bundy I asked about the prac element, it is supposed to be up and running now.

KP

• Caution 1

Hi folksI've just been looking at the L1 online course content. Doesn't seem unreasonable -but nowhere in the instructions does it tell you HOW the online learning system operates, and how long it will take. DingerPPC, (or anybody) can you let me know whether you can log in and out of the course as you do it ( i.e. complete it over a series of days, or weeks), and how long it took you to get through? Also, what reference materials did you need to refer to? The tech manual obviously, but what else?

Also, I'm assuming that those who already have L1 stamped on their certificates need to do this .... can anybody tell me how long we've got before our current L1 status becomes invalid? I'm assuming its like when they introduced 'Human Factors' and we get a few months grace period to do the course...

Cheers

Alan

Allan the test took me about 90 minutes & being a dummy with I computers couldnt access the learning course so just winged it & luckily passed,if you contact Hayley at RAAus she is very helpfull.I think they are at some stage bringing out a hardcopy for us not of the computer age ,cheers Max.

I take a different view Keith. There are no stats to indicate this is a safety issue. Commonsense should dictate that someone would not undertake a task outside their comfort area. We are talking about maintaining your own aircraft ONLY and not selling your services as a professional (I do have reservations about 'some' L2s and their qualifications ).

I don't support the idea of making more qualifications (& thereby costs) without a demonstrated need.

For example I have already done two RAA courses and hold their RAA certificates for them. One was a one day course (at a cost of $100) and the previous on line one.

I have taken this matter up with the Tech Manager who stated they have no records of previous courses?? and they do not recognise a factory run course (which I completed with you & as you know was quite involved).

The Assist Tech Manager has attended the same course so fully aware of its content.

I have no problems with some course for initial issue but requirement to requalify for all existing L1s every time someone gets a brain fart is unacceptable. What is next - would appear a gradual push against self maintenance - some support this approach, just have a look at the changes to new the Teach Manual for CTA access (and this was introduced by RAA so can't use the CASA made us excuse - I argued, with some support, against this but was unsuccessful).

• Agree 1

I take a different view Keith. There are no stats to indicate this is a safety issue. Commonsense should dictate that someone would not undertake a task outside their comfort area. We are talking about maintaining your own aircraft ONLY and not selling your services as a professional (I do have reservations about 'some' L2s and their qualifications ).I don't support the idea of making more qualifications (& thereby costs) without a demonstrated need.

For example I have already done two RAA courses and hold their RAA certificates for them. One was a one day course (at a cost of $100) and the previous on line one.

I have taken this matter up with the Tech Manager who stated they have no records of previous courses?? and they do not recognise a factory run course (which I completed with you & as you know was quite involved).

The Assist Tech Manager has attended the same course so fully aware of its content.

I have no problems with some course for initial issue but requirement to requalify for all existing L1s every time someone gets a brain fart is unacceptable. What is next - would appear a gradual push against self maintenance - some support this approach, just have a look at the changes to new the Teach Manual for CTA access (and this was introduced by RAA so can't use the CASA made us excuse - I argued, with some support, against this but was unsuccessful).

Totally agree Frank ,if a prac. course is done & what you have learnt isnt used for some time who's going to remember whats learnt,the main thing I see is flyers need to know where to find the information they need regarding maintenance if needed.

How do we know this isn't a safety issue. Over the past few years we have been bombarded with news about engine failures, so how do we know those failures were not the result of poor maintenance? Or are we saying all engine failures are the responsibility of the engine manufacturer?

I havn't even looked at the course and will not be worrting myself about it as I can do my own maintenance legally.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm not off to a good start.... I've just failed enrollment 067_bash.gif.26fb8516c20ce4d7842b820ac15914cf.gif

I clicked on the Enrol link, That took me to the Registration Page, Put in my member no. in and clicked on the "Forgot Password" just like I am supposed to do.

I get a message back to say that a message has been sent to my membership number.

I go to my email account and nothing. I go through my email account to ensure all the filters are turned off and go through the process again.

Still nothing, so then I ring RAA, and I get the "OH, The person who handles that is out at lunch" I will take your details and have her return your call.

That was 2 1/2 hours ago, and the Executive Luncheon must still be continuing, whilst my multiple enrollment details are whizzing around in cyber space, and my attention span for studying are quickly diminishing.

• Like 3

Well I'm not off to a good start.... I've just failed enrollment 067_bash.gif.26fb8516c20ce4d7842b820ac15914cf.gifI clicked on the Enrol link, That took me to the Registration Page, Put in my member no. in and clicked on the "Forgot Password" just like I am supposed to do.

I get a message back to say that a message has been sent to my membership number.

I go to my email account and nothing. I go through my email account to ensure all the filters are turned off and go through the process again.

Still nothing, so then I ring RAA, and I get the "OH, The person who handles that is out at lunch" I will take your details and have her return your call.

That was 2 1/2 hours ago, and the Executive Luncheon must still be continuing, whilst my multiple enrollment details are whizzing around in cyber space, and my attention span for studying are quickly diminishing.

Well I'm not off to a good start.... I've just failed enrollment 067_bash.gif.26fb8516c20ce4d7842b820ac15914cf.gifI clicked on the Enrol link, That took me to the Registration Page, Put in my member no. in and clicked on the "Forgot Password" just like I am supposed to do.

Some website verification emails do take a while to come through. I have had one come through hours later. Just depends on the server load or the mail server.

As far as I am aware, anyone who has an L1 on their licence already, does not need to do the online course. (If anyone knows differently, I'd be interested in your source of information.) You can do it voluntarily of course. New pilots have to do it to get an L1. I'm with Frank. Don't complicate a system that works without hard evidence.

Thanks Frank. I was just looking at the Tech Manual and you are right of course. Here is the relevant paragraph. Perhaps this needs more publicity.

SECTION 11.1

MAINTENANCE POLICY

Under a grandfather clause all members who are maintaining their own RAAus registered aircraft have until 01/02/2017 to complete the L1 maintenance authority assessment. After 01/02/2017 members who have not completed the L1 assessment cannot continue to sign for maintenance performed on their own aircraft. (Does not apply for members completing line maintenance only)

As far as I am aware, anyone who has an L1 on their licence already, does not need to do the online course. (If anyone knows differently, I'd be interested in your source of information.) You can do it voluntarily of course. New pilots have to do it to get an L1. I'm with Frank. Don't complicate a system that works without hard evidence.

Existing L1 ONLY have six months before you need to do the assessment.

See May 2016 Sport Pilot pg 35.

I've just passed my enrollment... 017_happy_dance.gif.8a199466e9bd67cc25ecc8b442db76ba.gif017_happy_dance.gif.0eaf164edce841fcf33c63554cb89cd7.gif

Here's the secret.

Haley from RAA rang (After the 4 hr lunch)

If your membership no. has a zero in front of it you must re-enter the zero after it has been removed.

eg. When you go to the registration page where you enter your membership number you type in 0123456

then it takes that number to the next screen where it shows up 123456 (that's the one where you click on the Forgot Password)

Re type the "0" in front of the number, (0123456) then click on the "Forgot Password"

• Like 1

A windy day yesterday so decided to sit in front of the computer and do the L1 course. Took me 90 minutes and passed with 94%. Would have been quicker if I had the tech manual and other references sitting beside me in print. Scrolling through docs on the screen I find tiring compared to reading a printed page. Using search in reference docs did help though. Many of the questions relate to where to look for the relevant info on maintenance which didn't apply to my kit plans built 95.10 aircraft. Was only one question near the end that was most relevant to my aircraft regarding a maintenance schedule.

Thought that I would get to see the correct answers to the 3 questions I got wrong and/or which questions. Was not to be though.

Wayne

Thought that I would get to see the correct answers to the 3 questions I got wrong and/or which questions. Was not to be though.

After writing this, found an email with exam results and the incorrect questions listed, but no answers to them.

Wayne

After writing this, found an email with exam results and the incorrect questions listed, but no answers to them.Wayne

My guess is that IF the answers were given out then over time a complete set would be available and candidates would just "click" and pass!

• Agree 2

My guess is that IF the answers were given out then over time a complete set would be available and candidates would just "click" and pass!

Hopefuly they have a few different versions of the exam to alternate!

Wayne