RAAus Online Learning - L1 Maintenance Authority

Roundsounds

IF you are dealing with something that was built before then, it would be good to know what an inch is. I have to work in both and it's complex but there's no real simple way around it. America isn't metric and has a bit to do with aviation. The aviation based AN system is the best there is at the moment for bolts etc. Nev

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is interesting as I haven't heard of anybody else being able to get that info - I would be interested to hear where you found that?

On the 'results sheet', advising that I had passed, they listed the Q' s, they consider I got wrong . I disagreed with a few of their assessments and found a few questions poorly worded and ambiguous...... Bob

• Agree 1

On the 'results sheet', advising that I had passed, they listed the Q' s, they consider I got wrong . I disagreed with a few of their assessments and found a few questions poorly worded and ambiguous...... Bob

Interesting mate, I did it some time ago and there was NO results sheet at that time only a reply giving your result and an offer to do it again (even though the result was a pass).

Maybe something has changed but with no feedback from RAA we are only guessing - I am aware of one member (who passed) and has been trying unsuccessfully to find out which questions he got wrong - I didn't bother, but totally unacceptable at least IMO.

So four days in from my test, still no sign of a little green tick, no communication from RAA or feedback on whether I passed, or which 4 questions I erred on.

Today I emailed RAA attaching a screen shot of my 46/50 score and their invitation to retake the test -asking them to decode what it all means.

Reading this thread the system clearly works well for some and less well for others...... Intriguing.

Cheers

Alan

I did mine some time back also and passed, there was no indication or reference to which answers were not correct just the number correct which was a pass mark. I can't remember the score. There was no study or reference used it was just sitting it cold.

However when I received my renewal card(cet) I was endorsed.

Seems there must be a few versions of this albeit mine was when this was first introduced.

Cheers

But ....... nothing on my personal page to indicate that I have complied with, and passed the test , or that I even had the L1 qualification before !! .....Bob 068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif

According to the AC43b (which you really should be aware of if you maintain aircraft)[ATTACH=full]47981[/ATTACH]

Thanks for that specific and in-arguable lockwiring data. Whilst 'turns-per-inch' wasn't the l/wiring question I was dudded on, your reprint from AC43b clearly shows that there is/was no suggestion anwhere that convoluting three strands of lockwire into a 'braid' or 'plait' is an acceptable aviation standard. The 'braided' or 'plaited' example pictured in the exam question (while correctly threaded to prevent either bolt head backing off) was accompanied by the query "is the example shown, correct for lockwire?" My response in the negative was judged incorrect. Never in 8 years on the tools as a trained AE tech in the RCAF and nearly 50 years of subsequent tinkering with aircraft anywhere in the world have I seen safety-wiring done in the manner that RAA/CASA/Canvas apparently reckon is acceptable. Hopefully this 'bad' example will be eliminated from the testing of a layman's understanding of home maintenance under L-1 authority. cheers riley

Since there are at least 2 different thicknesses of wire used, I would suggest the thicker gauge would have less turns for any specific distance. If you do them with the "TOOL" It's usually going to be more even. There will often be (fiddly) bits you do by hand and if you pull one side tight(er) the other will just tend to spiral around it and has no grip to speak of.. At one end this could have it fly apart particularly in rotating situations like prop hubs. TAB(bed) washers can be very satisfactory. I've seen split pins in conrods wear through and fall out. Nev

Thanks for that specific and in-arguable lockwiring data. Whilst 'turns-per-inch' wasn't the l/wiring question I was dudded on, your reprint from AC43b clearly shows that there is/was no suggestion anwhere that convoluting three strands of lockwire into a 'braid' or 'plait' is an acceptable aviation standard. The 'braided' or 'plaited' example pictured in the exam question (while correctly threaded to prevent either bolt head backing off) was accompanied by the query "is the example shown, correct for lockwire?" My response in the negative was judged incorrect. Never in 8 years on the tools as a trained AE tech in the RCAF and nearly 50 years of subsequent tinkering with aircraft anywhere in the world have I seen safety-wiring done in the manner that RAA/CASA/Canvas apparently reckon is acceptable. Hopefully this 'bad' example will be eliminated from the testing of a layman's understanding of home maintenance under L-1 authority. cheers riley

Bob , I'm so glad to read your post as I was also marked as wrong on the same question, for precisely the same reason as you , but don't have the fight in me these days and thought, " well I've passed anyway so, what the heck". I've been waiting for some authoritative comment on that question .... Bob

Ok guess I should cut the whinging now.

After sending an email -with screen shot of my test result-to RAA I have finally received the notification email with incorrect questions listed.

The long awaited little green tick. So all ends well. But perhaps some room for fine tuning of online training packages...?

Cheers

Alan