Across Australia inverted

I forsee some medical problems? Upside down for that length of time...blood flow etc?

Blood flow can collect in the space in his empty head from where his brains have preumably leaked away. CFI? Stunt Pilot? Egotistical Screw-loose? There are achievements and some records settings that are very worthy of public recognition but this stunt serves no purpose whatsoever. I doubt that his mother would be proud of him. cheers

• Agree 4
  • Haha 1
  • Winner 2

As said by robinsm, I believe that it is impossible and is what kills climbers who are left hanging upside down from their ropes after a fall if not rescued quickly.

If I remember correctly, world records are set with a few minutes allowance upright every hour, but those people are also in a relaxed state and train leading up to it, not controlling a machine.

Someone has hung upside down for 60 hrs with a quick break every hour. I don't think it says this guy will do it non stop. He could fly for an hour at a time, twice a day, and probably do it in eight days. Also his feet will only be about a metre above his head in the Pitts. Good luck to him. Makes about as much sense as any endurance record.

• Agree 2

Someone has hung upside down for 60 hrs with a quick break every hour.

David Blaine. - who also holds the underwater record at something over 17 minutes. he trains long and hard for those records though and puts himself into a state of limbo, you can't do that flying a plane upside down.

Looks like a interesting way to get a Darwin award. I reckon he might succeed.

But he might know what we don't: that he will not black out from blood pooling in his brain. As his brain is obviously in his arse.

• Haha 2

Joel's either being silly and provocative for PR purposes, with no intention to do this - in which case good on him; or he's serious about it, in which case questions about his ability to hung upside down for extended periods are moot. Don't you think one of the first things he'd do to prepare for the mission, would be to test and train his ability to hang upside down for extended periods?

• Agree 2

Guest SrPilot
David Blaine. - who also holds the underwater record at something over 17 minutes. he trains long and hard for those records though and puts himself into a state of limbo, you can't do that flying a plane upside down.

You may find this webpage interesting (see link below), but for those in a hurry, here’s the executive summary. 064_contract.gif.1ea95a0dc120e40d40f07339d6933f90.gif

Significance

Humans evolved as upright creatures. Our bodies use gravity to pump blood to the lower extremities and from the brain. When upside down, this is reversed----the body struggles to get blood to the legs, while blood in the head has a harder time returning to the heart. To combat this, the heart has to work extra hard to keep the blood flowing.

Effects

Hanging upside-down for a long time can lead to blood clots, particularly in the brain. The clots and swelling in the brain can then lead to stroke. The brain lacks the muscles that the rest of the body has to pump blood back to the heart. Blindness is another possibility because pressure builds behind the eyes. Blood can also pool in the lungs resulting in a pulmonary oedema.

David Blaine

In September 2008, illusionist and stuntman David Blaine suspended himself upside-down in Central Park for three days and two nights in a stunt he called "Dive of Death." Even though he went through intense training to prepare himself, he had to stand upright at least once an hour for medical checks. No one can hang upside down for long periods of time, and even with the periods of "rest," David Blaine still risked death.

How Long Can a Human Hang Upside Down? | eHow

As said by robinsm, I believe that it is impossible and is what kills climbers who are left hanging upside down from their ropes after a fall if not rescued quickly.

As a former climber I want to elaborate on this point...

There are a couple of dangers you face - the first is suspension trauma (Suspension trauma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) where you are immobile for more that 20 minutes (i.e. knocked out after a fall) and your blood pressure drops.

The second is if you end up hanging in a position that prevents circulation - usually it is the legs. When you get moving again there is a whole heap of "stale" blood that gets moving again and you end up with toxic shock.(Rescue death - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Note: These conditions can develop not matter what attitude you are at !

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...