Maroochydore/Caboolture Rec Aviation???

Have been reluctantly press-ganged into a weeklong social visit to the Maroochydore area visiting with old friends (non aviators) and staying in a resort(?) @ Mooloolah. I reckon about two days by the pool will have me at hair-pulling/body scratching stage so would appreciate any tips, hints etc fm local aviators that might point me in the right direction to something of interest (preferably of the airfield genus) that might offer a temporary escape. I do intend to sniff around TAVAS if allowed and hopefully view a Savannah at Caboolture on behalf of a Perth mate. Tks in anticipation. Riley

Which Savannah are you planning on looking at.

The guys at TAVAS are great and easy to get along with.

Drop me a message when you plan to be at Caboolture, I would love to meet up.

Some suggestions from a fellow aeroplane-tragic: if you take your VHF portable along you can at least listen to Sunshine Coast tower to distract you from banana chair distress syndrome.

And if you stroll down to Marcoola for coffee you can even watch traffic arriving on Rwy 18 as you sip your Macchi-ato.

Plus, you'll only be a stone's-throw from Gympie airport where there are lots of fellow sufferers to talk to.

Marcoola.jpg.a9bba8b8c9eb4d56ddc54add67077b0d.jpg

John Scotts Sav is for sale I believe. Its the yellow one about 3 hangars down from Dannys hangar Geoff. Although I had heard it has been sold. Its the only one I know of that is on the market

Thats the one. Mate at Bindoon in WA bought it some weeks back but his ferry pilot isn,t back in the country yet ex Oshkosh so I volunteered to take some photos for him in the interim. My cojones only big enough to take photos, not big enough to offer to do the ferry.

I dont think John had too many hours on it either. His motor came the same time as mine. I dropped his motor off to him when I collected mine from Reg. He took a fair while to build it. I think it first flew maybe only 2 years ago. Let us know when you will be around Riley I am sure Geoff and I can catch up for a coffee or a feed with you while you are on this side of the island

Caloundra aircraft museum is worth a lookPlus a good array of planes and helos at tie downs.

Ctaf gate entry.

Enjoy the stay.

PHIL.

I agree Caloundra Museum a must especially with their shiny new F111

Which Savannah are you planning on looking at.The guys at TAVAS are great and easy to get along with.

Drop me a message when you plan to be at Caboolture, I would love to meet up.

Geoff/Kyle

Staying at Nautilus Apts in Mooloolabah catching up with old flat mates of 50 years ago from NZ days. Will probably rent a car for a day or so and hit TAVAS and the Caloundra Museum during the week. Visiting in Brisbane over next w/end then back to Perth. Mob # 0428 338 933.

Riley:

Depending on your schedule, the Brisbane Valley Airshow will be on this coming weekend. I have volunteered (as I'm a member at Watts) and from the looks of the planning, it's going to be bigger than Ben Hur. A definite must for aviation tragics and wanna-be's alike. There will be warbirds, and supposedly a low pass by an Amberley C17, aerobatics displays, vintage aircraft and cars etc, etc.

Riley:Depending on your schedule, the Brisbane Valley Airshow will be on this coming weekend. I have volunteered (as I'm a member at Watts) and from the looks of the planning, it's going to be bigger than Ben Hur. A definite must for aviation tragics and wanna-be's alike. There will be warbirds, and supposedly a low pass by an Amberley C17, aerobatics displays, vintage aircraft and cars etc, etc.

Gawd, salt on the wound! Saw the ad for the Watts event too late to modify plans. Hopefully the weather will co-operate to ensure you organisers a success. Were I still a Bribane resident (left in '78) I'd certainly be paying hangar fees at Watts Bridge. Thanks for the invite.

Caloundra aircraft museum is worth a lookPlus a good array of planes and helos at tie downs.

Ctaf gate entry.

Enjoy the stay.

PHIL.

Beware of the CTAF gate entry, Caloundra changed it's frequency not that long ago and have not changed the gate code to match yet, I believe the old frequency was 118.8. Well they hadn't changed it as of 4 weeks ago when I went there on a nav.

If it is this weekend I will be away up at my farm. Going up tomorrow night and back around sunday lunchtime....driving up past the sunny coast. So looks like I wont be able to catch up...unless your going up to Hervey bay area 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Riley,

If you get time, a good seafood cafe is " The Bridge" Byo at Mooloolaba.

Best restaurant and view is " The boat shed" at Maroochydore.

Just home from 7 weeks in the area, great spot.

Cheers

Greetings All

Now back in Perth freezing my goolies in the wind and rain with conditions rough enough that on first attempt, the 737-800 had to abort landing and do a 20 minute go-around. Got to perve the Caloundra Aviation Museum one day but arrived at TAVAS parking lot 1 minute before closing (15:00) so missed out. Apart from that the weather was beaut, re-lived old escapades with the non-aviator visitors (3 flatmates from NZ days 50 years ago), and came home feeling slightly guilty in that I should have directed the expenditure towards replacing the house HWS but, what the hell. Thanks to all for your suggestions & tips. cheers