Circuit indicators at non towered aerodromes

So I don't think we use these very often here in Australia, but it's still in the study material.. Anyway these two diagrams seem to contradict each other, wondering which is correct? I thought that the "L" indicates the base and final segment, like it seems to be represented in the diagram on the right. But on the left diagram that would mean both runways would be right Hand circuits but the caption says left hand circuits? Confused

Interpret them like roadside turn signs.

If taking off in the direction of the top red arrow, it's a right turn, therefore, right circuit.

If taking off in the direction of the lower red arrow, it's a left turn, therefore, left circuit.

1710758116_runwaymarkers.jpg.07fbb5cfbadc05ed849d9c38472b2cfd.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Oh yeah. Really obvious. Don't know why I had it in my head that they represented base and final. Thanks guys, feeling kinda dumb hahaha

Glad we could help!

Don't feel dumb, we as pilots are always learning. At least you took the initiative to ask for clarification of something you were unsure of.

Good luck with your study.

080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• Agree 1

I haven't seen the diagram. However at Palmyra airfield up my way all downwinds are the western side of the 36/18 runway because it is located very close to the controlled airspace of Mackay. Therefore any wide downwind to the east would be in controlled airspace.

I haven't seen the diagram. However at Palmyra airfield up my way all downwinds are the western side of the 36/18 runway because it is located very close to the controlled airspace of Mackay. Therefore any wide downwind to the east would be in controlled airspace.

See the diagram in post #4 above.

The 'normal' circuit direction is LH, however there are quite a few airports that have a RH circuit specified; usually to keep aircraft clear of terrain, airspace or noise sensitive areas. In some cases the circuit direction is different for day and night ops.

Has anyone seen this ground signal in use at any airport in Australia? I haven't, and I have been to a fair few of them.

I saw one in a YouTube video of a Clifton Fly-In once. I have flown into Clifton but didn't see one.... It must have been there only for the fly-in.

It's around 6:50

Has anyone seen this ground signal in use at any airport in Australia? I haven't, and I have been to a fair few of them.

Port Lincoln Aerodrome YPLC has these indicators - LH circuit one direction but RH circuit the opposite way. It works quite well, the terminal buildings are always the dead side.

1036800741_PortLincolnairport.jpg.683df79a548f5ca60630b44b9df67584.jpg

At Port Lincoln SA the arrows are at the end of the runway and only indicate that there is a RH circuit on a particular runway.

The RH circuit indicators are at BOTH ends of the runway.

This is not how it is described in the book and seems to be a non-standard use of the markers. 054_no_no_no.gif.950345b863e0f6a5a1b13784a465a8c4.gif

There are no markers near the windsock! 053_no.gif.1b075e917db98e3e6efb5417cfec8882.gif

The ones for the gravel runways are a bit difficult to see.

DWF 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

In the UK the runway direction is indicated by a Tee. You fly up the leg toward the cross piece. A big white Tee is on the ground near the windsock, at nearly all airfields.

I once flew into Popham from the Isle of Wight and landed into the wind. The airfield manager came out & threw a wobbly because I'd landed against the tee. . .

.....I once flew into Popham from the Isle of Wight and landed into the wind. The airfield manager came out & threw a wobbly because I'd landed against the tee. . .

Perhaps he was a bit 'T'ed off. 054_no_no_no.gif.950345b863e0f6a5a1b13784a465a8c4.gif

I hope you told him to 'F' off. 075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif

I certainly haven't, DWF...what's wrong with "All circuits to the south"?

Kaz

I certainly haven't, DWF...what's wrong with "All circuits to the south"?Kaz

Not sure what you mean by this kaz? Are you suggesting that that the live side of all circuits should be to the south? There may be issues with that, like noise sensitive areas, low controlled airspace, etc. I still say ERSA is the only official indicator of circuit direction. Any ground signals should be secondary to it.

[ATTACH=full]45295[/ATTACH]At Port Lincoln SA the arrows are at the end of the runway and only indicate that there is a RH circuit on a particular runway.

The RH circuit indicators are at BOTH ends of the runway.

This is not how it is described in the book and seems to be a non-standard use of the markers. 054_no_no_no.gif.950345b863e0f6a5a1b13784a465a8c4.gif

There are no markers near the windsock! 053_no.gif.1b075e917db98e3e6efb5417cfec8882.gif

The ones for the gravel runways are a bit difficult to see.

DWF 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

My apologies. I misread the question and stand corrected.