Gyroplane Crash - Echuca

BigPete

At around 1800 hrs today a two seat gyroplane with instructor and trainee pilot crashed as it attempted to land on runway 17 Echuca.

The two occupants were burnt as the aircraft burst into flames on contact with the ground.

One was taken away via air ambulance helicopter, while the other was taken to Echuca Hospital and wil probably be sent to Melbourne via King Air ambulance.

Their condition is not known, but it doesn't look good.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

regards

Ian - I only now the pilots name is Paul - he was hoping to build Gyro's here and do training as well. This could have been his 1st student - I don't have any details that are confirmed - only what we heard at the airport as we went to go flying (at 1840 hrs) (airport closed of course)) although I did speak to an eye witness who saw the crash.

regards

Two suffer burns in aircraft crash

Thursday Nov 8 20:08 AEDT

Two men in their 50s have been airlifted to a Melbourne hospital with severe burns after a light aircraft crashed in northern Victoria.

A 50-year-old man was airlifted to The Alfred Hospital with burns to 60 per cent of his body while another man, aged 58, was taken by ambulance to Echuca Hospital with burns to 50 per cent of his body.

He was later also airlifted to The Alfred, Rural Ambulance Service spokesman John Mullen said.

Emergency services received the call at about 5.50pm (AEDT) that a gyrocopter - a small helicopter - had crashed at Echuca airport and burst into flames.

Nine News /AAP

------------------------------------------------------------------

I went there shortly after the prang (Nine newsroom called me) and what I was told by the plods was this was an instructional flight, and the aircraft suddenly lost altitude on late final, impacting the ground about 15 metres from the threshold of Rwy 17.

The weather conditions were fantastic at the time, with winds light and variable.

The fuel fed fire destroyed the bloody beautiful ship, a Firebird, leaving a molten mass of engine and a few broken bits of fibreglass fairing. The fire also burnt grass about 50x50metres. When I left the airport, the plods also told me that the airport was open, as it was required for the King Air, and that the wreckage would be removed before dusk, and had not affected the runway itself.

I certainly hope the crew have a speedy recovery, as do the witnesses to the incident.

Ben

Postscript; Ten News had the story as , you guessed it... "an ultralight"

Sad to hear on Sunrise 7am news that one of the occupants has died from injuries recieved early this morning. sad lose, condolenses to all involved.

( term gyrocopter not ultralight was used)

ozzie

What sad news, I was having a great conversation with him on Saturday at Echuca about the development of his gyrocoptor - it was really a fascinating thing to watch 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Guest pelorus32

Friday November 9, 08:31 AM Man dies after gyrocopter crash

A man who suffered extensive burns in a gyrocopter accident in Victoria's north has died in a Melbourne hospital.

The 50-year-old man died in The Alfred hospital on Friday morning, Victoria police said.

The dead man received burns to 90 per cent of his body, when the gyrocopter he was travelling in crashed and burst into flames at Echuca airport on the NSW-Victorian border about 5.45pm (AEDT) on Thursday.

A 58-year-old man who was also aboard the gyrocopter remained in a critical condition in The Alfred hospital with burns to about 50 per cent of his body.

Police and air safety investigators are investigating the crash.

Guest David C

Another sad day for the recreational aviation fraternity .... We can only hope that the sole survivor makes a good recovery , and of course our condolences go out to the bereaved family of the deceased . May he R.I.P.

Dave C

This is extremely sad news particularly given that this is the second such accident invovling a competent instructor this year.

My sincere condolences to the family and friends of our fellow aviator and best wishes for a speedy and full recovery for our mate in the hospital.

Peter

Tragic occurrence.

Over the space of at least 5 years I have had many conversations with this instructor and would hold him in the highest regard as to his ability and pleasantness.. This is indeed a sad day...Nev..

Favourable Progress ??

Have been watching for a post on how the driver is faring. It's probably way too early to make any prognosis but hopefully no news is good news. While not given to religion, I'm sure we all pray for his recovery. Can anybody provide a factual update on his status?

Guest High Plains Drifter

PPrun have a thread on this. There is a mention of the pilots condition. There is also some idiotic comments from some.

HPD

Guest palexxxx
PPrun have a thread on this. There is a mention of the pilots condition. There is also some idiotic comments from some.HPD

Hi HPD,

What is PPrun? Perhaps you can provide a link to this website.

Peter.

Guest High Plains Drifter

Hello Peter,

WWW.pprune.org - there is a lot of false claims made in this forum

Look in the Rotorheads forum under -

- Why do we allow gyrocopters to keep flying?

- Man dies in gyrocopter crash.

HPD

• 2 weeks later...

Just a footnote........

Another Gyroplane has taken to the air here at Echuca. Owned and operated by the same people as the last one.

I may have been mistaken about Paul (the guy who survived) - I thought he was a part owner of the business. Maybe he is.... anyway it looks as if life goes on.

regards

Follow-up

Does anybody have any news of the condition of the second person in the gyro? The last I knew was that he was put into an induced coma (pretty normal for severe burns) It's been a while. Hope he's OK. Nev..

• 1 month later...

Paul is improving steadily and they are now starting to talk about taking him out of intensive care and transferring him to the burns ward. That’s a positive step. He has been conscious for quite some time but sleeps a lot due to the pain killers needed when dressings are being done – and there are some dressings every day. He can hear us and respond with a nod or shake of the head but hasn’t been able to speak because of the “trachie” which has been in place since the accident. The type he has now was put in place some weeks ago but we’re hoping that it won’t be long before he’ll be able to do without that.

Best wishes for the New Year.

Regards,

Eril

This is a copy of a posting on the ASRA forum regarding Pauls condition

Pauls update

This was posted on the rotorcraft forum

Season’s Greetings and Happy New Year from the Bruty Family

Thank you for all the good wishes we received over the Christmas period. Although Christmas was different for our family this year, it was still special.

Paul had more surgery on his right arm on December 20th. The first round of grafts were unsuccessful, so the surgeons decided to do them again, and they seem pleased with the results so far.

Other grafted areas are going well. Paul’s face, except for a small area around his right ear, is excellent, and as his eyebrows grow back, he looks more like his old self.

They have been able to remove the ventilator and his breathing has improved in leaps and bounds.

He is also able to sit in a “chair†for a few hours a day. The chair is an adjustable bed which allows him to be elevated into a more comfortable position and that takes the pressure off his back and makes breathing easier.

BIG STEP FORWARD: Paul has been transferred from ICU to the Burns Unit.

Last Monday we were taken by surprise when the Alfred staff told us they were moving Paul from ICU. The “trachie†has been removed from his throat and he can talk a little.

Of course, he is still medicated, often heavily for pain and in preparation for the numerous procedures such as physio, so often he seems to be talking in his sleep and it’s hard to follow what he’s saying.

Yesterday, I took in some of the cards and letters we’ve received. He was very interested in listening as I read the letters from Ronnie in England and John in Italy, and the get well messages in the cards. Then he drifted off to sleep as he tires easily and sleeps much of the time.

I know that many of you are looking forward to the time when you can come in to visit and it seems that that time is not too far away. If you are thinking of visiting, please contact me first .We can put your name on the Welcome list at the hospital, and we can tell you about suitable times. I check the messages on the home phone morning and evening.

We all appreciate your enquiries and support and send our best wishes for the New Year.

Regards,

Eril, Emma, Mark, Matt, Alex , Blake and Michelle