New Site Menu Implemented - Test Run

Admin

I can remove the code that alerts you to unread items in the various sections if users feel strongly about it but I thought like in the Media section, there are some fantastic photos being added in there. The one reason why I would feel comfortable about removing the flags is that not ALL sections follow the same structure so some sections just won't provide unread alerts unless I do some extensive coding with extra database calls. But on the flip side I hope users will appreciate the new entries in the sections that do. I know the Aircraft section didn't get the focus I was suppose to give it in listing every kind of aircraft old and new but hopefully that day will come when I have time to populate it.

With Aviation News coming in every hour that section doesn't have the unread flag as it would even drive me nuts but the Classifieds unread flag is still to do as I think that is needed but requires extensive coding which time permitting will be driven by the Clear Prop site...will see when the Clear Prop/Classifieds site is built.

I am not sure what to do about Groups as no one has used them but perhaps that is because no one really knew they were there. You can create your own Flying Club Group, Flying School Group, Aircraft Type Group etc...they are like have your own forums that you can control and manage, private or public.

Aviation News is another one I am unsure about...how many users actually view the News Sections? I was going to remove the Home link as a user can click Home in the breadcrumb or click the logo in the header, both will take you to the Home Page. The Breadcrumb Home Link isn't working at the moment due to a structure bug but when that is fixed in the rebuild how many users once on the site would want to go to the Home Page again?

The Clear Prop Shop isn't in the side menu because of real estate...to include that I would have to reduce the spacing between the section links in the menu. The AVIATION EXPO is coming so I will need to include that anyway.

Remember the Menu System has to fit properly on ALL sized screens and devices...comments are welcomed

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can remove the code that alerts you to unread items in the various sections if users feel strongly about it but I thought like in the Media section, there are some fantastic photos being added in there. The one reason why I would feel comfortable about removing the flags is that not ALL sections follow the same structure so some sections just won't provide unread alerts unless I do some extensive coding with extra database calls. But on the flip side I hope users will appreciate the new entries in the sections that do. I know the Aircraft section didn't get the focus I was suppose to give it in listing every kind of aircraft old and new but hopefully that day will come when I have time to populate it.With Aviation News coming in every hour that section doesn't have the unread flag as it would even drive me nuts but the Classifieds unread flag is still to do as I think that is needed but requires extensive coding which time permitting will be driven by the Clear Prop site...will see when the Clear Prop/Classifieds site is built.

I am not sure what to do about Groups as no one has used them but perhaps that is because no one really knew they were there. You can create your own Flying Club Group, Flying School Group, Aircraft Type Group etc...they are like have your own forums that you can control and manage, private or public.

Aviation News is another one I am unsure about...how many users actually view the News Sections? I was going to remove the Home link as a user can click Home in the breadcrumb or click the logo in the header, both will take you to the Home Page. The Breadcrumb Home Link isn't working at the moment due to a structure bug but when that is fixed in the rebuild how many users once on the site would want to go to the Home Page again?

The Clear Prop Shop isn't in the side menu because of real estate...to include that I would have to reduce the spacing between the section links in the menu. The AVIATION EXPO is coming so I will need to include that anyway.

Remember the Menu System has to fit properly on ALL sized screens and devices...comments are welcomed

I'm not in any way against the unread/unviewed items alerts. However I think the user needs to be able to reset them for himself quickly and easily, and that implies having a 'Mark as Read' button, or something similar, in a predictable (same) place on the screen, just one click away. That is my opinion.

Also, in case many didn't know and if you are like me and prefer the Main Menu Column on the right side instead of the left...you can do this very easily:

1. Click Preferences in your Account pop out menu:

1.jpg.b32d7f9bc526e63c5cf95449f6838c79.jpg

2. And then Click the Right checkbox to have the menu displayed on the the right side:

2.jpg.b2061704ebddc8f9ac89e433a0aee54c.jpg

3. To move it back to the left side just uncheck the check box

• Like 1

The trouble with Chinese food is not the food. It's just there are too many choices. Nev

And some of us have trouble with the basic fork/shovel/mouth action...so they give us 2 bits of bamboo?

You guys are lucky being able to see the Alerts, I don't get to see them, again because of one of the current bugs in the site and why it has to be rebuilt

We're even luckier now we knows what to do with 'em!

I just ask for a fork or spoon. . Could never get sauce or gravy on chopsticks. Nev.

I was taken for the real deal by a bunch of Japanese businessmen: sat on the floor in private room, food served by costumed ladies who arrived and left on knees (the hallway outside was lower, so they got to walk to the screen door). Interesting and enjoyable while also excruciating: sort of like watching which cutlery to pick up next X 1000, though in my case it was how to get this next item to the vicinity of the mouth. Excruciating pains in my ignorant Western right hand, I'm surprised to this day that it still work...

All good with the Alerts now Ian. It was just the Anal Retentive in me causing me to worry about the highlights.

Now that I know how to get rid of them it is not so bad.

I actually liked the 21 day button it was my most commonly used button. I will get the hang of using new but I did like the old

All good with the Alerts now Ian. It was just the Anal Retentive in me causing me to worry about the highlights.Now that I know how to get rid of them it is not so bad.

I actually liked the 21 day button it was my most commonly used button. I will get the hang of using new but I did like the old

It is still there, although it is now 14 day

1.jpg.cfe3a3e792c261c403435261f673f68b.jpg

You can:

1. When you click "New" in the side Menu you go to "New Posts" by default...from there you can switch back and forth between "New Posts" and "Posts (14 days)" on the sub menu across the top OR

2. If you are on any forum page you can click "New Posts" or "Posts (14 days)" from the sub menu across the top...it is on ALL forum pages i.e. main page, thread pages, posts pages etc

Everyone, if the changes to the Menu System are all boiled down you will find what has really happened is:

1. The sub menu for the section you are in has moved from the side column to across the top

2. The sites Main Sections have moved from a slide out to the side column

3. There are now unread indicators for some of the main sections

Can it be put on the left some way, I have to scroll to the top to get that one PLEASE!!!

You don't have to physically scroll, just click the "Up" arrow at the bottom of the side menu column...there is no real estate left in the side column...sorry

Just found a little cosmetic fault with the menu...the popouts for Account, Inbox and Alerts were 2 pixels lower than the mouse hover background on each...now fixed...just cosmetic