Airshows:- Do you enjoy them or not.

Geoff13

First ly let me highlight that this is not an assessment of the quality of the air show that I went to the other day. It is just my observation of how I enjoyed it.

I have been to a couple of flyins, not many. And on the weekend I went to the airshow at Watts Bridge.

Yesterday I went for an hour and a half joy flight with no actual destination in mind just a quick jolly around the local area.

I have to admit that I enjoyed my flight yesterday far more than I did the airshow or most of the flyins that I have been to. It may just be me but standing around watching other people doing fly pasts just doesn't do much for me I would rather be up there doing it my self. Am I on my own in these thoughts or are there others like me who are happier just to go flying?

Having said all of the above I do enjoy going to flyin Breakfasts. You know land have a feed for 45 mins to an hour, a quick walk past the planes on my way back to mine, then of for another fly home.

• Agree 4

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As I am no longer able to fly, I enjoy airshows because they bring together many different aircraft, some of which I have not seen and photographed previously. Sure I'd love to jump in the pilots seat and take off, but that's a pipedream. (Had my hearing tested today and it's deteriorated a bit more, not a lot, but enough.) While not taking away anything from the pilots doing what I'd love to do, seeing a formation of Harvards or the Roulettes perform their routines for the umpteenth time does get a bit repetitive, but you have to remember there are some in the crowd seeing it for the first time. It's when something new or spectacular is presented, like the Spartan performing loops or Kent Pietsch in the Jelly Belly Interstate throwing an aileron or landing on a motorhome that makes you keep coming back.

• Agree 1

Hmmm - I love flying my plane, but the reason I like Fly-Ins and Airshows is not so much looking at other aircraft, although that is fun if they are a bit unusual, but talking with the other attendees. Some will be fellow pilots/builders, and others not, it doesn't matter. That is probably why I did not get to see everything I wanted even in 7 days at Oshkosh - I just seemed to spend so much time talking to people.

The sheer variety of backgrounds, experience, and opinions was great, and I made a few useful contacts with whom I will keep in touch.

But maybe that's just me.....

Cheers,

Neil

• Like 4

Fly in are great, but I usually hanker for a change of scenery after a couple of hours. The best one in Australia in my biased opinion is Old Station and I am usually busy there or the whole weekend so can't slope off. Looking at all the different planes and especially homebuilts, talking with the owners is the highlight.

• Like 1

I like airshows that draw the interesting planes - warbirds, vintage, etc. Unfortunately we get bugger-all at this end of the country. Might have to head over to NZ one year, they seem to have a pretty good warbird show there. ("Wings over Wanaka" is it?)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

It may just be me but standing around watching other people doing fly pasts just doesn't do much for me I would rather be up there doing it my self. Am I on my own in these thoughts or are there others like me who are happier just to go flying.

Me too! In the early days of the AUF I gave a flying display, with the Drifter, at two airshows and I enjoyed that, been to many club fly-in`s over the years, also! These days I prefer to be flying myself and sharing the spare seat.

I think some folk just aren't really spectators. I know I don't seem to be. And maybe there's real hope in that: when most of the world are flying virtual reality, hopefully there'll still be a few renegades pouring petrol into their flying machines and heading out into it..........

• Agree 3

I don't love crowds nor being part of the herd and been ripped for crap food drink etc.

Just like riding bikes I rather do than watch. A bike rally for eg. Is about the ride not destination same with flying.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I don't love crowds nor being part of the herd and been ripped for crap food drink etc.Just like riding bikes I rather do than watch. A bike rally for eg. Is about the ride not destination same with flying.

I think it works differently for different people: I'm like you, much rather to be out there doing it than standing around talking about it.

But I also see folk get a huge amount of pleasure out of the social side of the biking/flying/whatever. And that's good too.

• Agree 1

I've often wondered what kind of people like airshows. If I can't talk to the people involved, I'd just as soon not be there. Red smoke and crackers going off to replicate some war action isn't for me. Someone standing a DC-6 on it's ear might do something. A Grumman AG Cat doing it's thing. 4 radials or Merlins on a wing sound great. Nev

• Agree 1

I am the same, I hate crowds and tend to avoid crowds or large groups.

Love the serenity of Aireys Inlet/Fairhaven and also Point Lonsdale.

I would prefer to drive 1.5 hours to work than live in the city or suburbs.

Prefer the corner store than a shopping centre.

Nothing beats living on a block of land with a beer and barbie over looking the ocean !

Plus with all the crap going on in this world I don't want to be in crowds!!

• Agree 2

I'm all airshowed out but I still occasionally go to one just to catch up with friends. I'd rather go to an aerobatic contest.[ATTACH]45531[/ATTACH] Oshkosh '96.

Hope your going to Avalon next year Dave, Seem to always run into you down there.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Well I enjoy a good air show. I love the sounds of all the different types whether a radial or turbine or a grunty "standard" and I also love the smell of burnt fuel coming out of engines that I can't afford to fly. I also love the look on my little kids faces as a hawk does a high speed low pass, just priceless the awe that they show so openly knowing I still feel like that but am too "mature" to show it.

I still enjoy flying myself around of course but yes I do enjoy a good air show.

• Like 3