Airshows:- Do you enjoy them or not.

Geoff13

Okay, here's one for the airshow organisers to think about:

Like a number of other people here, I find the routine airshow stuff pretty boring. But some years ago at a local show they had a high performance glider do a very low high speed pass. A long steep dive at one end of the strip, almost on the deck as he came through the length of it, then a steep climb at the end.

And it was stunning: although most aviation folk would know how fast those things can travel, most of the public don't, and none of us normally get to actually see that. For me it was the high point of the show, and still sticks in my mind.

• Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Went to Narromine last year and met a chap camping under wing of Zenith 701. Thought, must give this a try......And that is the plan only 5 weeks from now....If I can get XC endorsement finished by then. Have already flown to Dubbo twice during training so no huge challenge.

• Like 1

First ly let me highlight that this is not an assessment of the quality of the air show that I went to the other day. It is just my observation of how I enjoyed it.I have been to a couple of flyins, not many. And on the weekend I went to the airshow at Watts Bridge.

Yesterday I went for an hour and a half joy flight with no actual destination in mind just a quick jolly around the local area.

I have to admit that I enjoyed my flight yesterday far more than I did the airshow or most of the flyins that I have been to. It may just be me but standing around watching other people doing fly pasts just doesn't do much for me I would rather be up there doing it my self. Am I on my own in these thoughts or are there others like me who are happier just to go flying?

Having said all of the above I do enjoy going to flyin Breakfasts. You know land have a feed for 45 mins to an hour, a quick walk past the planes on my way back to mine, then of for another fly home.

First ly let me highlight that this is not an assessment of the quality of the air show that I went to the other day. It is just my observation of how I enjoyed it.I have been to a couple of flyins, not many. And on the weekend I went to the airshow at Watts Bridge.

Yesterday I went for an hour and a half joy flight with no actual destination in mind just a quick jolly around the local area.

I have to admit that I enjoyed my flight yesterday far more than I did the airshow or most of the flyins that I have been to. It may just be me but standing around watching other people doing fly pasts just doesn't do much for me I would rather be up there doing it my self. Am I on my own in these thoughts or are there others like me who are happier just to go flying?

Having said all of the above I do enjoy going to flyin Breakfasts. You know land have a feed for 45 mins to an hour, a quick walk past the planes on my way back to mine, then of for another fly home.

Sorry I clicked a few wrong buttons here. Now if you don't like airshows but like to be in scenic country side and yu are a mechanic come and stay at the Last resort for a few days or a week to help refit rubber parts to a rotten and other maintenance issues. accommodation food, and hourly rate offered.

john

send email for pics and details or call 0413963438

Geoff you can still do your thing next year when Watts Bridge holds its show. Plently of time to fly over in the morning, have breakky, look around for an hour and depart before the airshow / flying display starts.

Regards

Mike

I have been to most of the RAA-us fly-ins over the years and enjoyed them all.

Took the caravan to some and flew to a few as well.

I do not fly to airshow's anymore as I too have a hearing problem- like all gone! I now have a cochlear implant and hardware the the earphone jack to it. Gets me around 70 percent back- I am still able to fly but more at the country airports that do not have too much traffic to contend with. The biggest blow was that I had to close my flying school a few years back as I could not hold the required medical.

• Informative 1

my favourite kind of airshow? one that Geoff13 isn't attending!!! just kidding m8, just kidding - don't go accusing me of stalkin' ya...097_peep_wall.gif.dcfd1acb5887de1394272f1b8f0811df.gif

on a more sensible note, I went to Wanaka this year and the highlight (not just for me but a lot of guys commenting in the stands) was the brilliant 4 ship by RAAF Hawks - man they were tight!

we planned our trip a week either side of Easter, staying 3 or 4 days at various places, with the 4 day Easter long weekend at a winery near Alexandra (Weaver Estate - 10/10)

the airshow is: practice on Friday, identical airshow programme sat and sun, flights day on Monday - as such, going on sat or sun is all you need unless you want to go for a fly in something on the Monday...

traffic to/from Alexandra on the day was easy as, no problem at all

hey IBob, did you know about the 4 x Habicht gliders that performed formation aerobatics for the crowd at the 1936 Olympic games in Germany? I've got two RC Habichts, one 2.4m and one 2.7m wingspan (both still in boxes) bad_mood.gif.04f799b8c2da677a1c244b54433f2aa7.gif

BP

As mentioned above, seeing these things in person is what makes airshows interesting :

711680199_C27SpartanInvertedYMAV20110306.jpg.1ef7af09ea01b627e6accab80386cdc7.jpg

Other things I've been fortunate enough to see first hand:

rs11520_xp695-ee-lightning-f-3-raf-stmawgan-4th-august-1976.jpg.845b8e6a5a0f2fb32f4b72a45fab491c.jpg

612479891_dumpandburn.jpg.621a6d6bbcee128f6bb79f2978ab8235.jpg

1080743728_InterstateS-1A-65FNC37361JellyBellyTrucktopLandingYMAV20110306GX.jpg.136233991f30527ba5ecd303890c4fef.jpg

C-124_ROLLOUT.jpg.beae2a866a4014e6f49d318697430488.jpg

avro_vulcan_by_flumped.jpg.4ccd0287352878158a5710a4efa4aebc.jpg

Phantom_69_0304a.jpg.013a102af2e30e1750245af08ad05ce9.jpg

Usaf_u2.750pix.jpg.7de98638f408561f3ea4fc75a02f3915.jpg

• Like 1

G'day Redski, nice photos - imho the F4E would be the ultimate warbird (a Pig would top it, but...just too expensive probly)

I worked on the Army Aviation flight line when the Phantoms were at Amberley, man they were a class act - imagine what the Canberra pilots thought during their first flight in one....probly something like "goodness me, this is jolly fast"

Sitting in a Lysaght Hut close to the runway when an F4E slipped through the barrier - apparently he was doing a 'high speed low level' pass for a VIP in the tower - loudest noise I ever heard

Literally thousands of windows broken all over the base (and Ipswich) - the poor old BP servo at the top of the hill didn't have a pane of glass left intact...

As for the tandem take-off by two RC135s going back to the good old US of A - still gives me the shivers - not pretty, but nobody died (miracle) so it's all good - yes, it went wrong...

BP

Id rather the shows that incorporate bikes,cars ect. Hence enjoyed sth Grafton wings & wheels

Agree. For your info Old Station is great as well has Trucks, tractors, chainsaw and cross cut saw comps, plently of food options, to name a few things and you can camp under wing and visitors can walk through the aircraft parking area, etc.

I saw this bad boy flying at Reno, you could feel it in your chest when it went past

Love the Tigercat. I started scratch building a R/C version once, got as far as the "bones" - main spars out to engine pods, central fuselage frame, including homemade retracts. Never got around to finishing it.