Side slipping (video)

Nico13

I was shown this technique about twenty seven years back during a trial instructional flight after returning to the airfield way too high for a normal approach.

The instructor on the day affectionately known as Captain Jack E said to me

"don't do this in a Cessna or you'll bend it" 029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif

I don't know if that's true about the Cessna's but it adds to the story 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Anyway he proceeded to perform a very steep side slip, oh by the way, we were in an Auster at the time.

I thought to myself this looks like a bit of fun.

Not having continued with the lessons at that time due to cost I find myself many years later performing that very same manoeuvre and enjoying it like I did then.

Oh and I'm not in a Cessna 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

And I still don't know if Cessna allow it, some knowledgeable person will be able to fill in the blanks there.

Anyway have a look at my bit of fun on how to lose 400 ft in a hurry and a serious learning experience at the same time by the way.

Enjoying the flying. 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• Like 4

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

, ahhh no pilot in command seat hmm wonder if thats legal.

Yep, as long as the POH dosent prohibit it. Some tandem aircraft limit which seat due to either CofG or because both seats don't have a full set of controls.

• Informative 1

Thought that rego of the inbound bonanza rang a bell. It's the former aviation minister Gordon Rich-PhillipsHon. Gordon Rich-Phillips MLC | Member for South-Eastern Metropolitan Region > Home

Spot on Robbo,

He was there, there being Lethbridge, for the opening of the new fuelling installation by Sarah Henderson and a few other hanger-on's and of course quite a few locals.

Very nice new setup with Mogas, Avtur and Avgas. Self serve twenty four seven, swipe your card and away you go.

Bernie has posted a few pictures elsewhere on here re the upgrades at Lethbridge along with his nice red Skybolt.

• Like 1

I remember doing a heap of side slipping when I was training.

Yes we'd been out doing forced landing practice around the countryside and that involved a number of side slips.

All very good practice for sure.

• Agree 1

The Cessna 172 N POH says no sideslips with flaps extended, I have been told there is a problem sideslipping a 172 with flaps extended as to controlling the aircraft and not a structural problem as I originally thought. So sideslipping is fine whilst flaps are retracted.

• Agree 2

If you aren't getting the wing down significantly, you aren't doing it correctly. A horrible flat skid isn't a sideslip. You also need precise airspeed control , (not too fast) and it's a new attitude to get used to. The nose appears high to what you are used to.

With full flap on a Cessna why would you bother sideslipping? The Flap is very effective. Similarly with a draggy plane. Upping the speed gives it a high ROD. Just aim a bit short of the touchdown point and bleed it off near the ground. (unless there's a line of trees in the way). Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

If you aren't getting the wing down significantly, you aren't doing it correctly. A horrible flat skid isn't a sideslip. You also need precise airspeed control , (not too fast) and it's a new attitude to get used to. The nose appears high to what you are used to.With full flap on a Cessna why would you bother sideslipping? The Flap is very effective. Similarly with a draggy plane. Upping the speed gives it a high ROD. Just aim a bit short of the touchdown point and bleed it off near the ground. (unless there's a line of trees in the way). Nev

I got taught slide slipping during emergencies for that very reason. Possible short paddock with tall trees and I practice it often for the same reason, plus it is a lot of fun when done correctly.

• Like 1

Early Cessnas have 40 degree flap available and that is very effective and you don't often need to sideslip to loose more height. The newer ones have only 30 degrees of flap at full flap. Remember you are side slipping if you do a low wing approach crosswind landing (recommended by Cessna). The following is from a C172N POH. People who say you can't side slip a Cessna should read the manual a little more carefully.

upload_2016-9-13_10-35-27.png.f1a82e96e05b9700bb9b00b8755c142a.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

The following is from a C172N POH. People who say you can't side slip a Cessna should read the manual a little more carefully.

Yep, definitely worthwhile reading the POH - especially the Limitations Section:C172Nsideslipplacard.png.2aabbd208c23caefd52d51524caa9dcb.pngAlso worthwhile noting the placards on the panel.

From the book "Cessna, Wings for the World" by William D Thompson, former Manager of Flight Test and Aerodynamics at Cessna:

"we encountered a nose down pitch in forward slips with the flaps deflected. In some cases it was severe enough to lift the pilot against his seat belt if he was slow in checking the motion. For this reason a caution note was placed in most of the owner's manuals under 'Landings' reading 'Slips should be avoided with flap settings greater than 30 deg due to the downward pitch encountered under certain combinations of airspeed, side-slip angle, and center of gravity loadings.' ... the cause of the pitching motion is the transition of a strong wing downwash over the tail in straight flight to a lessened downwash angle over part of the horizontal tail ... This phenomenon was elusive and sometimes hard to duplicate ... When the larger dorsal fin was adopted in the 1972 C-172L, this sideslip pitch phenomenon was eliminated, but the cautionary placard was retained. In the higher powered C-172P and C-R172 the placard was applicable to a mild pitch 'pumping' motion resulting from a flap outboard-end vortex impingement on the horizontal tail at some combinations of sideslip angle, power, and airspeed."

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Early Cessnas have 40 degree flap available and that is very effective and you don't often need to sideslip to loose more height. The newer ones have only 30 degrees of flap at full flap. Remember you are side slipping if you do a low wing approach crosswind landing (recommended by Cessna). The following is from a C172N POH. People who say you can't side slip a Cessna should read the manual a little more carefully.[ATTACH=full]45723[/ATTACH]

My statement was from memory from a long time ago, I sold my 172 8 years ago , I remembered the Poh reference to avoiding side slips with flaps ! Thanks DJP and happy for putting facts here.

There are cautions for some types of slip in a Cessna. Clearly if you land crosswind you are slipping. The extract below is from a C172S POH which does not mention the word avoid. Many pilots are of the understanding you cannot safely slip a Cessna in any circumstances. If slips were totally unsafe, Cessna would say "Slips Prohibited".

LANDING

NORMAL LANDING

Normal landing approaches can be made with power on or power

off with any flap setting within the flap airspeed limits. Surface

winds and air turbulence are usually the primary factors in

determining the most comfortable approach speeds. Steep slips

with flap settings greater than 20° can cause a slight tendency for

the elevator to oscillate under certain combinations of airspeed,

sideslip angle, and center of gravity loadings.

There is? The only one I can find is when operating on L/R tanks with low fuel levels, but that is not unique to the 172. In fact it's more of an issue with low wings without the BOTH setting.

Actually I can't find a limitation in any of the POHs I have looked at (admittedly not pre-1972). "Avoid" doesn't count as a limitation.