Three killed in NT highway plane crash

Guest Fred Bear

And unfortunately still goes down as one of them "ultralight cessna things" that just fell out of the sky. 'Must be dangerous' and 'Wouldn't get me flying in one of them things' seem to be the common sayings around lately..... We are all tarnished with the same brush... 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

How much attention do these incidents generate from CASA? and what does it say about GA self regulation?

Unfortunate that we have these clowns in the system....:;)1:

just thinking out loud......

Regards

Phil

With Cessna's introduction of the Dreamcatcher it may not be long before it is a ultralight thingy (sic LSA).

The problem really lies with the organiser of these trips for allowing this activity, a pilot returns home loaded up with photos and video of barrelling low level down isolated beaches and highways. Those following usually expect the same experience but are totally unaware of the traps.

ozzie

Might be a good thing for those instructors 'converting' overseas licences to Aus PPL to emphasise the perils of low level x/c flying. Wires are only one of the perils out there.

No doubt CASA will be issuing something along these lines in the near future. And, it's not just o/s pilots doing the low flying either, so maybe there needs to be more emphasis with 'local' flight reviews too?

cheers,

Poor guys...looks like a shocking impact...not sure i believe the story about the 4wd...who was left to say it was there?...and who in there right mind would leave a crash site like that, with ppl still in the wreck..who knows what an impact with powerlines would do to an aircraft..ive heard of jabiru's breaking them and continuing flying, and ive heard of airtractors clipping them and loosing all there flying and spinning in..i agree with the above post's, low flying is a recipe for disaster, altitude is our life insurance...the only low flying ive ever done was along a 10 mile beach with the tide right out...and still i didnt go below the tree level of the coast...

i just read the crash report...i reckon they can be sure they wern't in any trouble before hitting the powerlines, mabye a bit lost...but the flaps werenn't out so a landing probably wasnt on the cards...the radio call " can you see the railway line" would indicate they were probably trying to get a position fix, but what i can't understand is why in the hell would you go lower to look at the road??..where they hopeing to see a roadsign?? so sad, it looks like a complete pilot stuffup....

brentc

from the information then, and now, it was not looking like a prop strike. Tail strike yes but not prop. I just gave the PIC the benefit of the doubt and based on the suggestion it was an engine out!

Perhap it was fine!

At least on the beach there are not likely to be power lines! Maybe the NT looked like one big beach!

J:big_grin:

Propeller

Very interesting report,

If it was an engine out! why has the prop left the engine and ended up somewhere else?

Why has the engine left the Airframe?

Is it possible that the engine was operating at normal or high power! Thus upon impact the engine is torn from the airframe and in doing so the propeller is torn from the crank, or posiblly broken the crank shaft?

If the passenger in the rear of the car only saw the aircraft for a few seconds, would it be possible the 172 was doing a low pass (beat up) over the vehicle!

3 Wires, usually a very heafty size with not to much give!

Still can't figure out why there is little or no damage to the leading edge wing tips!

What ever they paid the ultimate price, what about the poor passenger in the back!

Safe Skies and Roads

Cheers Guy

Guest disperse

I think that seeing the lines at the last minute the pilot tried to dive under them to avoid a strike .... sad thing is, they nearly made it.

Or just didn't see them at all. As to why they were that low, Im guessing it was either skylarking or directions.

The lesson for me, and something I've been thinking about lately is.

Power lines, Power lines, Power lines