Site Likes System Updated

Admin

Please note that the site "Likes" System has been updated. There are now 8 Likes to choose from consisting of:

1. like.png.620d18888c86dd9e758564d5762e688a.png Like — Positive

2. agree.png.4d21fab55d966f839422b25b84c315b6.png Agree — Positive

3. funny.gif.372f662fb51236a33b8e2fa324a0f624.gif Funny — Positive

4. helpful.png.1bd8f78de108552e130270690f12dc30.png Helpful — Positive

5. informative.png.6d4a36705c83cb3b7f7f1244ea2bea9e.png Informative — Positive

6. winner.png.f8faa0262475f2c0a1ac47984110d3d6.png Winner — Positive

7. more.png.a0c612e70519c8087b293b99f1ef5a1a.png More — Positive

8. caution.png.9a346a38fc53cb1313210f87696aa5aa.png Caution — Neutral

Notes:

1. The "More" like is to indicate either "more information" or "more of this/these please"

2. The "Caution" like is "Neutral i.e. not a positive or negative Like and can be used to suggest what the post contains may not be advisable, dangerous etc in terms of flying, maintenance etc. If this like is abused, or used to indicate anything other than what is indicated here, will see the user giving the "Caution" Like striped of ALL their likes on the site

Yeah I like the jailhouse idea.

I do think the 'abuse of caution' fine of losing all likes is a bit heavy handed though. Yes, we have some that can stretch the rules a bit and can be less than credible but the caution can be used subjectively and not just in relation to air matters. Also they may be very likeable, but just have a bee in the bonnet over a particular issue. A total loss of likes would make them seem completely unlikable, or that their views should totally be disregarded but they may normally be a great and helpful contributor.

Can we also have a "batshit crazy idea" one? Or maybe "caveat emptor"

what about a jail house Ianif you get banned - you throw the avatar in the slammer - we can go and see who is doing time

We don't "Ban" users we give a suspension period, and these are posted in the Announcements forum

• Informative 1

Every good forum that is pleasant to read, is moderated with a steady hand.

Forums where there is little moderation, turn into disasters containing reams of personal abuse, and utter garbage.

Witness the un-moderated comments under so many video sites. Racism, foamy-mouthed visceral hatred, vicious threats, trolls, and total idiocy abound.

The important part with moderation is contact with the person being moderated, to explain the reason for the banning, post removal, or other thread policing actions.

Just as you have the right to argue your case with police, you should have the right to ask questions of the moderator as regards the banning or post removal.

The forums I hate are the ones where moderation is unexplained, and you can't contact any moderator or question their actions.

The 8 chosen emoticons all seem a satisfactory choice. It would be impossible to select 8 icons that satisfied everyone, because human emotions span a vast array of feelings.

Then there's the point that everyone gets a slightly different interpretation of what has been said. Some of that is often due to misreading, on the part of the reader.

Thank you Ian, keep up the good work.

• Agree 3

I do think the 'abuse of caution' fine of losing all likes is a bit heavy handed though.

Moderation in most cases occurs when acting on another user reporting a post i.e. clicking the "Report" link in a post. However there is a process that is used such as the number of warnings the user has been given, their history, their post types etc...an overall picture is used to decide what action is to be taken.

The "Caution" Like should be seen as a benefit to posters in that what they have posted could be reckless, harmful, dangerous etc in the subject of Flying, Flying Skills, Maintenance etc. It is there to help users and should be used as such. Just because someone says something that may be controversial does not warrant a "Caution" Like...if it is used with maturity and common decency then it will be helpful and if that is to much to ask of the users here then moderation will occur.

Another forum I belonged to, which has now closed down, used a moderating program, so that if a post contained a word on the naughty list, the post was quarantined until it had been manually vetted. This did not take into account the context in which the word was used. As an example, the word "shoot" was considered threatening and so was on the banned list. If you were writing about a point and shoot digital camera, your post was quarantined until it had been approved, which could have been over a whole weekend.

what about a jail house Ian? If you get banned - you throw the avatar in the slammer - we can go and see who is doing time

We don't "Ban" users we give a suspension period, and these are posted in the Announcements forum

OK. No jailhouse. What about a pillory?

pillory.jpg.be66b0fffd83dd0852845305eeff3966.jpg

• Like 1

I am still seeing it when I log in as Corrine who has standard user permissions, add a Like, and can then see the "Undo Like" link[ATTACH]45792[/ATTACH]

Just tested it and it isn't showing on the mobile version

Hey IanI accidently did a like and now I notice the option to undo it has gone?

It needs a fix, or the non-option deleted, because the likes are way too close together on an Iphone, and accidental "like" have been applied often.

Both issues should now be fixed

Bet ya Ian, go back a page 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

I can't act on anything unless I am given better information...I am spending so much time looking where I think a person is having an issue only to find out it is something completely different. I can only resolve issues when given more specific information!!!!

I can't act on anything unless I am given better information...I am spending so much time looking where I think a person is having an issue only to find out it is something completely different. I can only resolve issues when given more specific information!!!!

Huh???

I was just saying I bet ya as in meaning that I posted that the undo likes is now working and the spacing is good 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif