Making an engine inspection panel.

Trackley

Hi guys. I have a 19 reg savannah vg and want to make a inspection flap on a hinge to open and check my oil. How and or where so i start. I know i have to cut out a hole. Probability sounds silly but yeah. Anyone that has done this how do i go about it. Where do i get the fastners from how do i make a seat for it to sit on?

Regards

Hi guys. I have a 19 reg savannah vg and want to make a inspection flap on a hinge to open and check my oil.

hi trackley personally I would not put a little inspection flap in BECAUSE

by removing the top cover completely you can see the whole of your motor and them bloody birds and rats have been known to build a home there very quickly

plus better inspection of oil leaks plug wires broken exhaust springs

yes I know its a pain in the arse to remove the cover but visual inspection is best neil

• Agree 1

Hi guys. I have a 19 reg savannah vg and want to make a inspection flap on a hinge to open and check my oil.hi trackley personally I would not put a little inspection flap in BECAUSE

by removing the top cover completely you can see the whole of your motor and them bloody birds and rats have been known to build a home there very quickly

plus better inspection of oil leaks plug wires broken exhaust springs

yes I know its a pain in the **** to remove the cover but visual inspection is best neil

No worries Neil thanks for the advice.

image.jpeg.cc317275b0d12aeb4487e8a1a953e019.jpeg

Hi Trackley

Couple pics of the oil level inspection panel we put in my VG. Made pretty much as described in the link above.

Very worthwhile and I recommend you do this. Just because you can check oil level easily this way hardly precludes you taking off your cowl as often as you wish for a full inspection in my opinion.

Peter

image.jpeg.5260c24395da94ff8cbb0e2f06b5db36.jpeg

You need an inspection cover for the oil level check. It's nice to remove the whole cowl but it really is a pain often needing more than one person to do it without damaging paint etc Plug your intakes with foam like you cover the Pitot to protect it. . One down side is it can be forgotten to fasten or come uncatched and it's usually hinged so as it will flap about. Nev

• Like 1

Ha. Who cares about the bump over the air box. After all what part of a Savannah VG is pretty??????

Except for the performance that is STOLing it into some tiny patch of hillside or riverbed or whatever is pretty fun....

Peter

Yep would be sure nice to be a wee bit faster. Mate in next door hangar has recently completed a Glasair III. We worked out he gets about the same MPG as the Savannah. Of course the IO-540 uses three times the fuel. But he goes three times faster.

I was out trundling along at 75knts one day when he called me up and he did a 230knt fly past.

I can imagine now what it would have been like in WWII flying a Swordfish or similar, seeing a couple of FW190s flash past and pull up and waiting for them to swoop past on another pass.....

Peter