Savannah S in Texas

Mattk793

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Valter has been waiting on his new plane, the latest Savannah S with the new ICP engine. I think he is finally about to receive it. He is an excellent instructor as well. I echo Kyle's comment, check on the Savannah FB page, it's an excellent community of Savannah builders and pilots and they put up some great pics and videos. I asked about the stall characteristics and the next day a video was posted to demonstrate, it's an amazing resource.

Is that the new V twin? I didnt think they could sell it yet? Would love to know how he got hold of that?

Is that the new V twin? I didnt think they could sell it yet? Would love to know how he got hold of that?

Yes, I'd very much like to know where they are up to with the M09. My Savannah S is part built, but I am still some way off ordering an engine. How would one find out???

I asked the question at the factory in September as I would have been interested, however it seemed that to get approval for the engine they need to go through many more hours of flight trials. Whilst we were there we saw several ICP owned planes flying with the new engine si I can confirm that it exists and works. I have the possibility of a reconditioned Rotax engine so will probably go with that

I asked the question at the factory in September as I would have been interested, however it seemed that to get approval for the engine they need to go through many more hours of flight trials. Whilst we were there we saw several ICP owned planes flying with the new engine si I can confirm that it exists and works. I have the possibility of a reconditioned Rotax engine so will probably go with that

That will be the pragmatic choice for me too..still, it's nice to play with ideas.

How long has it been under development?

Yes, I'd very much like to know where they are up to with the M09. My Savannah S is part built, but I am still some way off ordering an engine. How would one find out???

Did your kit come with a 912s firewall forward kit? If so it would not be a straight forward install with your existing engine mount and cowling.

Did your kit come with a 912s firewall forward kit? If so it would not be a straight forward install with your existing engine mount and cowling.

It did, Steve...and in reality I'm very unlikely to put in anything other than a Rotax.

But in the small but growing Savannah squadron here, we like to keep interested!

That will be the pragmatic choice for me too..still, it's nice to play with ideas.How long has it been under development?

Hi Bob,

I first came across this development four years ago and posted the information in this forum: New engine from ICP (manufacturer of the Savannah) and Google Translate

Subsequent to this, I read that the development would take "up to five years" so it seems that we're at the mass production end of this engine's development or close to it.

In planning for my Savannah build next year, I am still scratching my head about an engine. I ordered a "homebuilthelp" DVD with the Rotax alternatives so I will view them with interest. I am sure the ICP would not be in the DVD as they have not officially gone into production.

I wonder four things about this engine:

1. how light is it? ....their original goal was to get this down to 67 kg.

2. how thirsty is this donk? ...worse or better than a 912?

3. how powerful is it? ....originally, their goal was to produce 115 hp at 6,900 rpm.

4. how reliable is this engine going to be? ....this, unfortunately, will have to wait until there are quite a few flying quite a few hours.

It did, Steve...and in reality I'm very unlikely to put in anything other than a Rotax.But in the small but growing Savannah squadron here, we like to keep interested!

The point for anyone else, like Hank for instance, is that the decision of which engine you are going to be installing, needs to be made prior to ordering your kit. Surely the firewall forward kit is now readily available from ICP to lock in some customers for their new engine when it does become publicly available.

That will be the pragmatic choice for me too..still, it's nice to play with ideas.How long has it been under development?

I think they have had working engines for the past two or three years. However as they explained, the "proving of its reliability" is long and complex process, even for a non certified engine. I am going to order my kit in the next few weeks and spoke to the French agent today and he didnt think it would be available for at least another year.

It certainly sounded and looked good in the planes I saw, although I have heard a lot of arguments against V twins I guess we need to have time living with it to really see if it is a really competitor or not.

Pioneers need all the luck they can get, hope you get all that you need. You make me feel so lazy using a factory supplied and proven firewall forward kit. All the best with it.

There certainly are challenges ahead, but the similar Zenith CH750 has a complete firewall forward option, and is successly flying for several years. It's also been flown on the 701 which is dimensionally very similar to the Savannah. So at least it's adaptation, not invention :-)

I think at the end of the day the rotax 100ph is the best motor for the savannah , yes sky is the limit you can put any engine to like but you can spend a lot more in the end . My savannah the previous owner put 4 different engines in it vw, werner ,582 ,912 80hp , then I put 100 hp rotax after flying it with the 80 hp for a few hours. Rotax 80hp not a lot of power (75knot at 5000 rpm) it is 500 rpm faster for same speed then the 100 hp rotax . So if you added up all the money he spent say no more also all his time testing .

I think at the end of the day the rotax 100ph is the best motor for the savannah , yes sky is the limit you can put any engine to like but you can spend a lot more in the end . My savannah the previous owner put 4 different engines in it vw, werner ,582 ,912 80hp , then I put 100 hp rotax after flying it with the 80 hp for a few hours. Rotax 80hp not a lot of power (75knot at 5000 rpm) it is 500 rpm faster for same speed then the 100 hp rotax . So if you added up all the money he spent say no more also all his time testing .

I wonder how much money he/she would have saved if they would have bought an 100 hp Rotax 912 to start off with?

If you are a good hunter you can find good second hand rotax a around , there are a lot of aircraft out there have been written off in storms etc . You should be able to get a safe engine around the $10 000 with a lot of lfe in it . If you work five days a week you are flat out to do 50 hours a year flying .

Golly Geoff you will have to change your profile picture now :)

I have been going to do it for a while Danny but can't work out how. Someone had to make that picture smaller for me as it is.

Here are the photos of the Skyview in N5000S for those who asked. Sorry for the delay but I was trying to figure out how to compress them so they could be uploaded...so I asked my teenage son.

image.jpeg.3e7d237792a5ffc0bb1f467afd5217d0.jpeg

image.jpeg.58807a928e56074e22a051ae4a633e78.jpeg