Light plane mishap on landing Port Pirie

You get out of the sides on a taildragger and there is substantial structure above you. as well. Nev

I guess this would be difficult to get out of if tipped over.

1789543947_VH-PRVVansRV-4YBSS20130114CanopyOpen.JPG.85836bc485edb987ea9462d09a860caf.JPG

• Agree 1

Guest SrPilot
You get out of the sides on a taildragger and there is substantial structure above you. as well. Nev

Not always Nev. My RV3A was a taildragger. It was a single-seat version of the airplane pictured in red750's post above. My plane, though, did not even had the roll bar. I fully agree with your earlier observation that they do not look to easy to get out of.

In the RV3A, if you flipped over, there were two immediate issues of consequence: First, fire. Forget it. If the plane was on its back, it would be quite difficult for the pilot to get out unless he was over a ditch.

Second, there would seem to be a chance that the pilot would be suffocated by being bent over too much to breathe. That is what allegedly happened to an extremely accomplished U.S. aerobatic pilot - Charlie Hillard - at Sun 'n Fun in 1998 when his Sea Fury went nose over. Charlie allegedly flipped over when a brake locked during a crosswind landing.

We were flying the GlaStar prototype at Lakeland South when the aerobatics were about to start at Sun 'n Fun so we landed and returned to Lakeland. I was there and saw his flight and approach to landing but did not see the mishap on landing.

Here's his story:

Charlie Hillard - Wikipedia

Later, builders of the RV3 began to install the roll bar on the turtledeck behind the pilot to hold the airplane up a bit on a flip-over (as seen in this photo):

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.romeolima.com%2FRV3works%2FFlying%2FDSCN2541_400.jpg&f=1

But my other taildraggers - C120, Citabria 7KCAB, Hiperbipe - were high winged airplanes with with structure around the pilot and passenger. I felt safer during landings in those planes; I paid close attention when landing the RV3A. It was a very responsive airplane - I thought it was simple. But later they started giving familiarization training for RVs because they were very responsive compared to spam cans. In fact, I think the RV3A was my all time favorite fun-airplane-to-fly. It was a delight; fast, agile, responsive, with great visibility, comfortable, economical.

Window axe and belt cutter in one tool - handy exclamation.gif.7a55ce2d2271ca43a14cd3ca0997ad91.gif

If you smash the canopy wouldn't the cockpit just get pushed into the ground?

Only way out would be if the plane can be lifted or righted.

Sliding canopy gives you a better chance if not locked on landing or can be unlocked while inverting.

No guarantee you won't be injured or dazed, and not capable of great feats of strength. The rear of a plane is relatively light if you could devise something to lift it . Plastic, using a CO2 canister (soda maker) as the energy. Weight less than a fire extinguisher. Nev

No guarantee you won't be injured or dazed, and not capable of great feats of strength. The rear of a plane is relatively light if you could devise something to lift it . Plastic, using a CO2 canister (soda maker) as the energy. Weight less than a fire extinguisher. Nev

Like the inflatable jacks for race cars? Perhaps there could be an automatically deployed airbag on the upper fuselage just behind canopy if the aircraft is inverted (WITH weight on the turtledeck or fin - don't want it deploying during aerobatics!)

I don't know how extensive the problem is for low wing planes, but it may be an idea if people want it.

• Helpful 1

Guest SrPilot
Like the inflatable jacks for race cars? Perhaps there could be an automatically deployed airbag on the upper fuselage just behind canopy if the aircraft is inverted (WITH weight on the turtledeck or fin - don't want it deploying during aerobatics!) I don't know how extensive the problem is for low wing planes, but it may be an idea if people want it.

Hummm. Marty_d, I don't want to be flying that puppy should the airbag accidentally inflate.

I flew a Citabria home with a big hole in the side of fuselage. Not fun. I shudder to think what I would have experienced if an airbag had inflated on the upper rear fuselage of my RV3A. I always wore a chute in the RV so I guess I could have departed the bird upon an accidental inflation of the airbag but I doubt that I would have been able to return to base with an inflated airbag on the upper fuselage. It's not just the drag, although that would be an issue. Disruption of airflow over the empennage likely would be the real issue.

THAT goes without saying. You life saving gadget mustn't be a serious hazard. An air bag isn't the answer but some moderate diameter plastic telescoping tubing could easily lift the tail section. Nev

• Like 1