Airfield and hangar access Canberra area

gkhutton

Hello. I've recently joined the forum and I'm seeking advice on airfield and hangar access for Light Sport Aircraft.

I'm hoping to purchase a FK-9 LSA in the new year and to hangar the aircraft close to home (Canberra). The airframe has folding wings, so I could possibly squeeze the airframe into a 6.5m x 2.5m space.

Another option is to have a custom trailer built to secure and tow the airframe, when folded, to a LSA-friendly airfield nearby.

Any advice on both hangarage and private/public access airfields is greatly appreciated.

Welcome GK

There are a few airfields that Canberran recreation flyers use: Goulburn, Polo Flat Cooma and Canberra if you have the qualifications and can afford it. If you can secure a spot there is also Hall (if it is still going), Gundaroo (Dick Smith's place), and Braidwood. Many SAAA Canberrans also use Tumut, Adaminaby, Moruya and Temora. The topic has been done before so a search will provide some advice.

Cheers

Steve

Welcome GKThere are a few airfields that Canberran recreation flyers use: Goulburn, Polo Flat Cooma and Canberra if you have the qualifications and can afford it. If you can secure a spot there is also Hall (if it is still going), Gundaroo (Dick Smith's place), and Braidwood. Many SAAA Canberrans also use Tumut, Adaminaby, Moruya and Temora. The topic has been done before so a search will provide some advice.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve. Your advice and pointing me towards previous posts has been very useful. The Hall (Wallaroo) strip looks ideal. I'll have to visit on the weekend and hopefully negotiate access. From Google Maps it looks like someone is using shipping containers as windbreaks. Cheers, Graeme

Dear gkhutton.

It would be nice if you could let me know how you go with your inquiries at Hall. We are currently flying our Skyfox taildragger out of Temora, but are looking to move it closer to Canberra in the midterm. If you end up needing a customised storage trailer for a folding wing airplane, I know one for sale.

best

Norman

Dear gkhutton.It would be nice if you could let me know how you go with your inquiries at Hall. We are currently flying our Skyfox taildragger out of Temora, but are looking to move it closer to Canberra in the midterm. If you end up needing a customised storage trailer for a folding wing airplane, I know one for sale.

best

Norman

Hi Norman.

I did manage to contact the owner (Jason). But unfortunately without success. Jason four GA based on his strip now, and is concerned that additional operations would draw the ire of his neighbours. My enquiries also took me to Goulburn airport, where hangarage is possible available, but I get a sense there is some significant local politics at play regarding the airport facilities, particularly the sealed runway by RA…?

However one of the RA operators mentioned that a community GA/RA airfield is being developed on the outskirts of Yass (not the listed YYAS). This is new development, with the first sod still to be turned (from what I can glean from the internet). The airfield site is to be located at 1079 Black Range Road, YASS NSW. The concept appears to be a community title subdivision incorporating an airstrip of not less than 1100 m and 37 separate hangar lots situated adjacent to the airstrip. Looking at Google Maps, theres a grass strip close to the street address - which is just behind the Yass McDonalds/Service Station on the Hume Freeway. Theres a Facebook page with additional information, if you have access <https://www.facebook.com/yassairport>.

I am interested in the aircraft trailer. Could you please forward any information.

Regards, Graeme

Dear Graeme

It's a pity about Hall but not surprising. There's a heliport a few miles north of Jason's property so noise sensitivity is understandable.

The local chapter of the SAAA did a site inspection of the proposed Yass development last year. A local Ag pilot intends to extend his 500 meter strip. The development work involves major leveling and some road works for a grass strip that is nestled in between hills and subject to mechanical turbulence when the winds are strong. There is also a major investment in a hangar required. On the flip side it is close to Canberra and a LAME has expressed an interest in being involved. Whatever the case it will be a few years off I suspect. The problem with recreation flyers, as a rule, is that they are normally poor so finding pilots who will invest will be a battle. That said, he's having a go so I wish him well.

Steve

Hi Graeme,

Goulburn has plenty of hangerage available but you're very correct about the politics. Airport owner has called a meeting this weekend where we believe he plans to tell us that he is fencing off the rest of the private hangers. He fenced the first one off about a year ago with an aircraft still inside! He has extended an invitation to half a dozen aircraft owners to rent space in a new hanger he is constructing...

On the upside there's still a bunch of passionate aviators milling around the airport so if you're looking for something to do on the first Saturday of each month Goulburn Aviation has a BBQ about midday and everyone is welcome!

Hi Graeme,Goulburn has plenty of hangerage available but you're very correct about the politics. Airport owner has called a meeting this weekend where we believe he plans to tell us that he is fencing off the rest of the private hangers. He fenced the first one off about a year ago with an aircraft still inside! He has extended an invitation to half a dozen aircraft owners to rent space in a new hanger he is constructing...

On the upside there's still a bunch of passionate aviators milling around the airport so if you're looking for something to do on the first Saturday of each month Goulburn Aviation has a BBQ about midday and everyone is welcome!

Hi Volksy, and thank you for making contact. The Goulburn situation seems quite bizarre - from an outsiders view. Why would one fence out aircraft operators from - and paying to access - the runways and aprons? How does the owner expect to create revenue to upkeep the infrastructure? But I'm but just a novice… I hope its all resolved by the new year. Thanks for the tip on the monthly BBQ. I'll certainly be keen to participate.

It is a little bizarre! Basically the airport owner feels that he is owed money from the hangar owners and the money he is owed by them dwarfs the possible revenue from the landing fees. He appears to have no legal right to charge the hangar owners and has not tried to pursue any outstanding debts through the legal system over the past 5 years. The largest hangar owner and the airport owner have been "at war" for decades. That's Goulburn Airport politics in a nutshell...

I am surprised some enterprising individual has not told the owner that a large tractor will take care of any fences he illegally puts up and the threat of a court case about restricting, and denying, access...as required in the deed of sale made.? Very bizarre politics indeed and the operator is making it very hard to get enthusiastic about the sport when the restrictions are there.

• 1 month later...

Update of the Yass Development

Good news. It seems that the airfield development is going ahead, quicker than I expected. Last weekend I caught up with 2 SAAA members who are looking at hangar arrangements and the associated paperwork.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 5 months later...

The whole valley is cross-crossed with two wire supplies at right angles to the highway and elsewhere. But a working airfield, it is.

Looks like a big spider left a web

Cootamundra has a pretty good airport, grass strip and just freshly tarred runway. Already some Canberra ites there, stones throw to the Main Street, about an hour and a bit travel by road great little town friendly people. Council friendly. Possibility of hangar sale or rental.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Have the options changed around the ACT and is the following summary accurate? Comments appreciated

• Canberra Airport, rumours are that it's not GA friendly, is there any GA hangar space available at all? If so at what price? Can anyone comment on this.
  • Tralee, closed/developed
  • Goulburn Airport, unusual fees charged on some taxiways, some discontent between the existing leaseholders and and the owner. Court cases relating to fees.
  • Tumut Airfield, very nice looking area, but a long way away through the mountain pass, much longer by sealed road.
  • Polo Flat, purchased by Snowy Hydro and not interested in GA
  • Cooma Airport, privately owned no hangars
  • Nice looking private strip near Michelago, limited by council with powerlines across the strip.
  • Williamsdale Airstrip - Great idea just never got off the ground. It would have come in handy during the fires of 2020 to help control the fires in Namadgi and Michelago.  http://www.canberrasecondairport.com
  • Kennedy Field near Adaminaby, great rates and it appears to be a group of people with a passion for flying but it's a bit of a hike from Canberra and the strip is a bit shorter than other options.
  • Cootamundra, Young, Cowra are all a hike

Did anyone keep running with the Williamsdale option?

• Like 1

As far as I'm aware that's a good summary of the situation.  I'd also be interested to find out if there were any further developments. it was a scandal the way the ACT Government treated the Williamsdale proposal.  It would be great if it could be revived.