Has anyone recently converted an ra-Aus licence to RPL?

Im going to apply for my RPL, just wondering what needs to be done/how long it takes etc.

I already have a class 2 medical, have applied for an ASIC... I think I just fill out the forms and do a checkout in a VH reg plane? Anyone who's done this recently with any info/advice would be appreciated!

Hi Parkway

I have recently completed this process. Good start on getting the medical and ASIC. All that's left is a flight review in a VH registered aircraft, maybe a BAK exam and paperwork to CASA.

In order to get up to the flight review standard, you may need to do a few hours with an instructor first and then complete the flight review. These hours depend on you and how fast you get up to the required standard (which shouldn't be too long if you have been flying recently, more so just to get used to the new aircraft). It may also be a requirement of the flight school that you undertake some minimal training before the flight review. As I mentioned before you may also need to take a BAK exam, but again that may come down to the flight school you choose.

Best to choose a school that does both GA and RAA the process might be a bit smoother. Total time depends on how often you can fly/medical/ASIC/CASA Processing.

Hope this helps!

You only need to do an AFR, or if you havent flown a GA plane before, you will need to do a conversion. That should take about 3-5 hours depending on your skill set

If you have cross country endorsement, everything will be carried over.

You will need to do 2 hours under the hood (instrument flight time) as well

One of those hours may be in a registered flight simulator. but I recommend the real thing

I have done mine and it was great. Such a powerful learning tool

They even made me do an English language test to get my radio endorsement, even though I have radio on my RAA Certificate

It must be becoz I dont talk like wot proper people talk like

Bryon

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes I have, didn't take long after sending my form into casa (I also handed in my asic form at the same time so they had to wait for that.). Took no longer than 4 weeks I think it was.

It took me an hour of airwork in the training area and half an hour of circuits and then I was sent solo in the 172 (could take longer depending on how long it takes for you to get used to the bigger aicraft), and then a flight review after which is the sign off to be able to utilise your RPL.

You will also have to get 2 hours instrument time in there somewhere if you are converting over your Nav endorsement as well.

Hope that helps

Edit: Beaten to the punch haha! As stated they will need an english test from you as well, unless you can provide evidence of already having one.

They even made me do an English language test to get my radio endorsement, even though I have radio on my RAA Certificate

Bryon

That might be because you spell Byron wrong. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In addition to the medical (RAMPC or higher) and an ASIC you'll need:

• English language assessment

• Simulated Instrument Flight time (only to appropriate standard for RPL without Nav and appropriate standard and a minimum of 2 hours if you want Nav)

• Airspace endorsement if desired/required.

• Flight Review

If the school wants you to complete their BAK exam walk away.

• Agree 1

In addition to the medical (RAMPC or higher) and an ASIC you'll need:

• English language assessment

• Simulated Instrument Flight time (only to appropriate standard for RPL without Nav and appropriate standard and a minimum of 2 hours if you want Nav)

• Airspace endorsement if desired/required.

• Flight Review

If the school wants you to complete their BAK exam walk away.

You don't actually need any simulated instrument time for converting to an RPL without Nav, they never asked me for it.

The requirements are pretty straight forward but the English Proficiency Requirement if you do not meet it will mean not getting Radio Endorsement which will not give you CTA.They say it`s better to do it all at First Attempt.Instrument time is a must for Nav Endorsement.Like said above it`s easier to use a school which does both GA and Ra -Aus.If you do it in a Jab 230 then you will just sail through easily.

You only need to do an AFR, or if you havent flown a GA plane before, you will need to do a conversion. That should take about 3-5 hours depending on your skill setIf you have cross country endorsement, everything will be carried over.

You will need to do 2 hours under the hood (instrument flight time) as well

One of those hours may be in a registered flight simulator. but I recommend the real thing

I have done mine and it was great. Such a powerful learning tool

Bryon

Hi Bryon,

I passed both the RPL and RaAus in June - my assumption was that I would need to do the full cross-country endorsements in both classes - am I mistaken and can simply do them with RaAus and then carry them across to RPL (or visa versa)?

I think - but am not sure - that if you already hold both RPL & RPC, you will need to do both endorsements. The RPL for the RPL (sorry....couldn't resist) only occurs if you already hold the RAAus X/C when you initially apply.

• Like 1

my assumption was that I would need to do the full cross-country endorsements in both classes - am I mistaken and can simply do them with RaAus and then carry them across to RPL (or visa versa)?

You'll only need to do one, they'll carry across either way. Only shortfall with RPC will be lack of airspace endorsements, however these can be added if/when required.

You'll only need to do one, they'll carry across either way. Only shortfall with RPC will be lack of airspace endorsements, however these can be added if/when required.

You can only claim credit for either/or during the initial application process though, can't you??

You can only claim credit for either/or during the initial application process though, can't you??

That's not my understanding, CASR 61.500 doesn't say it's a one off. Design feature and flight activity endorsements should also carry over.

I have always had a separate RAAus certificate and a PPL/CPL. On Sep 1st 2014 an RPL was automatically added to my CASA licence. Last year I got a design feature endorsement on my RAAus certificate. I notified CASA and had it added to my RPL/PPL/CPL. No questions asked by CASA.

• Agree 1

I have always had a separate RAAus certificate and a PPL/CPL. On Sep 1st 2014 an RPL was automatically added to my CASA licence. Last year I got a design feature endorsement on my RAAus certificate. I notified CASA and had it added to my RPL/PPL/CPL. No questions asked by CASA.

Don't think I have heard of a "design feature endorsement" for RAAus, what is that exactly?

David

Try calling them 131757, ask for flight crew Licencing.

I will do and let you know - I already have the airspace endorsements - only having to do one set of X/C would certainly be a saving.

Last year I got a design feature endorsement on my RAAus certificate. I notified CASA and had it added to my RPL/PPL/CPL. No questions asked by CASA.

That is indeed interesting. Frankly, I can't see why it shouldn't be interchangeable. However, it might require your instructor be GA instructor rated with the same design feature endorsement. Was he?