Has anyone recently converted an ra-Aus licence to RPL?

That is indeed interesting. Frankly, I can't see why it shouldn't be interchangeable. However, it might require your instructor be GA instructor rated with the same design feature endorsement. Was he?

I submitted form 61-1RE to add a TW endorsement that I had on my RAAus pilot certificate to my RPL. I did not do any tailwheel training in a GA aircraft to get the endorsement initially. I sent a copy of the letter that comes with the RPC which shows the various endorsements and had it signed as a true copy by a GA instructor. He also signed form 61-1RE and yes he held a TW endorsement but really he was just signing that I met the requirements for the endorsement by having the corresponding endorsement on my RAAus certificate so it could go on my RPL (which automatically goes on the PPL and CPL). I included a letter to CASA saying I wanted the endorsement transferred to my RPL in accordance with Part 61.480 paragraph 3© and to call me if they wanted more info. A month or two later it was on my CASA licence, I ordered a reprint and hey presto job done.

Looks very legit. Thanks for that.

I'd be very interested in hearing from any pilot who has recently completed a tailwheel, constant speed, formation, or low level endorsement in an RAAus rego aircraft - and then had the RAAus endorsement sent to CASA on 61-DF or 61-FA paperwork for inclusion on their new Part 61 RPL, PPL or even CPL. happy days,

Looks very legit. Thanks for that.I'd be very interested in hearing from any pilot who has recently completed a tailwheel, constant speed, formation, or low level endorsement in an RAAus rego aircraft - and then had the RAAus endorsement sent to CASA on 61-DF or 61-FA paperwork for inclusion on their new Part 61 RPL, PPL or even CPL. happy days,

I didn't use 61-3DF because it asked for a GA aircraft rego number and I wanted to see if I could do it without using a GA aircraft. CASA don't have a dedicated form to transfer edorsements from RPC to RPL except the initial application for RPL from RPL, form 61-1RE. Might be worth writing to them to ask the correct approach if you are going to do a few of them.

The Post on page 1. sums it up best - "if required to do BAK exams etc walk away". I particularly agree with this comment, as I also heard this time and time again from schools stating - "you need to do this exam and this exam"

If your told you need to double up on the Bi Annual in Rec and GA walk away also. I've heard this advice given.

The reputable flight schools will require review and under hood hours only. Depending on your ability to adapt you should be there around 6 hours - maybe less?

One Bi Annual only covers both categories.

Im going to apply for my RPL, just wondering what needs to be done/how long it takes etc.I already have a class 2 medical, have applied for an ASIC... I think I just fill out the forms and do a checkout in a VH reg plane? Anyone who's done this recently with any info/advice would be appreciated!

Hello there Parkway, I live next door to the chiro on Meares Ave, call in and ask for sarge, we have a common interest.

Hello there Parkway, I live next door to the chiro on Meares Ave, call in and ask for sarge, we have a common interest.

Will do! Are you on facebook? If you are you should join our group Perth Pilots, I think we're having a meet up this friday

Hi ParkwayI have recently completed this process. Good start on getting the medical and ASIC. All that's left is a flight review in a VH registered aircraft, maybe a BAK exam and paperwork to CASA.

In order to get up to the flight review standard, you may need to do a few hours with an instructor first and then complete the flight review. These hours depend on you and how fast you get up to the required standard (which shouldn't be too long if you have been flying recently, more so just to get used to the new aircraft). It may also be a requirement of the flight school that you undertake some minimal training before the flight review. As I mentioned before you may also need to take a BAK exam, but again that may come down to the flight school you choose.

Best to choose a school that does both GA and RAA the process might be a bit smoother. Total time depends on how often you can fly/medical/ASIC/CASA Processing.

Hope this helps!

I'm lucky, the place I fly has a new Sportstar that's VH registered, so that saves having to do a few hours learning anew plane at least. I noticed on the RPL application it says you need 5 hours of solo (which I have) and 20 hours of dual... which I don't have because to get my ra-Aus all I needed was 20 hours total of which 5 are solo... surely I don't need to go and do 3 more hours of dual in an ra-Aus reg plane to convert??

One Bi Annual only covers both categories.

The flight review to validate an RPC to RPL conversion must be conducted under the CASR Part 61 reg's, it will therefore need to be conducted by an appropriately rated GA flight instructor in a VH registered aeroplane.

This flight review will cover RAAus ops, provided it is completd in an aeroplane with a MTOW not exceeding 1500kg.

I'm lucky, the place I fly has a new Sportstar that's VH registered, so that saves having to do a few hours learning anew plane at least. I noticed on the RPL application it says you need 5 hours of solo (which I have) and 20 hours of dual... which I don't have because to get my ra-Aus all I needed was 20 hours total of which 5 are solo... surely I don't need to go and do 3 more hours of dual in an ra-Aus reg plane to convert??

You need 2 hours under the Hood to get Navs swapped over so that will only leave 1 more hour dual.

As mentioned above unfortunately you will need those extra dual hours. However I'm sure you can use the time of your flight review towards it (best to confirm though). I'd recommend also using those couple of hours to practice recovery from unusual attitudes and flying under the hood as it is most certainly part of the flight review and good to know as well!

I cannot understand how a person could reach a satisfactory RPC/RPL standard after 17 hours dual and 5 hours solo without previous aeronautical experience.

• Agree 1

As mentioned above unfortunately you will need those extra dual hours. However I'm sure you can use the time of your flight review towards it (best to confirm though). I'd recommend also using those couple of hours to practice recovery from unusual attitudes and flying under the hood as it is most certainly part of the flight review and good to know as well!

And you can always build up hours under lower priced RAA conditions. Under the hood will be CASA, I'm not sure about incipient spin recovery, you might have to do that under RAA.

• Informative 1

I cannot understand how a person could reach a satisfactory RPC/RPL standard after 17 hours dual and 5 hours solo without previous aeronautical experience.

I've been flight simming and studying for about 5 years. I always approached the sim like it was a real flight and I feel like that was why I got through my training on the minimum hours. And I have closer to 10 hours of command time.

• Like 1

I've been flight simming and studying for about 5 years. I always approached the sim like it was a real flight and I feel like that was why I got through my training on the minimum hours. And I have closer to 10 hours of command time.

Interesting to see on one hand RAAus are concerned about R-LOC incidents and on the other new pilots are receiving minimal dual instruction. I'm not having a go at you Parkway, but it would be difficult to have exposure to a range of environmental conditions if you've only had 10ish hours dual instruction, let alone fully cover the syllabus.

I did also have about 7 hours in a piper previously. I don't think any exact number of dual hours is "enough" for everybody.. surely it's up to the instructor to decide if the student is at a suitable level to be sent off with his "licence to learn"?

• Agree 1

Interesting to see on one hand RAAus are concerned about R-LOC incidents and on the other new pilots are receiving minimal dual instruction. I'm not having a go at you Parkway, but it would be difficult to have exposure to a range of environmental conditions if you've only had 10ish hours dual instruction, let alone fully cover the syllabus.

That was 10ish hours command time, I had almost 20 hours dual, and has previous experience in a VH reg piper warrior