Flying around parachutists

Hi Everyone,

Thought I'd ask your advice about flying in areas where parachute drops take place. I know they normally broadcast intentions to drop on frequencies on VNC/VTCs but how do you know when you're good to enter that area. I guess they won't broadcast an all clear so what do you do? I'm thinking specifically as I'd like to fly around Byron or rainbow beach where drops can occur. I figure a skydiver going through a wing would make a lot of noise and be a pain to clean up...

Cheers

Michael

• Haha 1

Let's see...a 20 man formation falling at 120mph will break up at about 3500ft, with the jumpers tracking, or spreading out for horizontal separation of perhaps 600ft before opening at 2000 to 2500ft approximately. Sort of like a shotgun firing 90Kg lead, fired directly down?

I sure wouldn't want to be hoping to see that coming.

No doubt someone knowledgeable will post the oz rules here. Common sense says to entirely avoid passing through the area unless you can be certain they are nowhere near exit, or have completed their jump and are all on the ground.

• Agree 4

They are coming down faster than most are going along, so you won't be looking in the right place or able to do much to avoid them. They are more likely to be able to avoid you unless they are above cloud. Stay clear is better. Nev

• Agree 2

Having a dropzone next to the strip is not a big issue. You (and the jump operator) are surely properly communicating your intentions and making the appropriate radio calls.

I regularly fly from an airfield with intensive parachute operations particularly on weekends. The conditions are known, listed in ERSA and managed by those who choose to fly in or out. The jump planes are very communicative with all traffic identyifying their location, altitude, time to drop, number of canopies etc, the jump school operator is also on the radio confirming when all canopies on the ground or to alert if there is a risk of a runway infringement (very rare occasion when someone over/undershots target and lands on runway). When on approach I make my calls, which will often be responded to by the jump plane confirming, so that we both know the state of play. Sure there have been occasions when I have had to re-assess should I extend a circuit until I hear that all canopies are down, or clarify with the jump plane that I will be on the ground before they start "meat-bombing". When doing my run-ups I will also conduct a radio call to asess the location and timing of any parachute operations. Even the situation where I have followed the jump plane out and then thrown in a circuit whilst they are climbing, which has prompted a call to confirm my intentions (might have been training doing an hour of circuits), to which I confirm that I will be clear of the drop zone by the time they are at altitude (15000ft).

In answer to the original poster, If I hear nothing, I make the call and ask, if I then hear nothing I assume that the jump ops have concluded for the day otherwise either the plane or ground crew would have responded. I then approach making all required radio calls and maintain a lookout as per usual.

When one of the small planes goes up and only releases a few canopies, if I have visual of all of them and can safely enter the circuit I will make the call that I can see and am clear of all (insert number) canopies and am joining circuit.

All works well. Something instilled in my training was good airmanship which involved sharing the skies and being considerate of those who can see or hear my flying.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Hi everyone,Thanks for all the comments and advice :-)

Michael

Hi Michael, I have been on both sides of this equation. I think Diddy Pilot gives an excellent account of how it can, and usually does work for the safety and benefit of everyone. These sort of arrangements have been in place for many decades, and local pilots communicate and work very well together.

Once in a very long while, someone from somewhere else will fly right through the middle of it all. Even then, the odds are very long against a collision, but the outcome should that happen doesn't bear thinking about. Hence my original suggestion to stay away unless you are quite clear what is happening.

Finally, in my first post, I described a parachute formation breaking up, or spreading out, prior to opening.

I should add the following: the aircraft exit point is judged depending on prevailing winds, and will normally be upwind of the landing spot. However, winds change (and upper winds can be surprisingly strong), aircraft can be more or less off track on the runin, and the jumpers can get out 'early' or 'late' in this run for a variety of reasons.

Which is to say that most of the time the canopies will open in a predictable area, but that area will vary from load to load, and throughout the day.

Blue skies,

Bob

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Parachute Ops are specified in ERSA 5.5-4 2. The drop plane must carry 2 radios & broadcast intentions on all relevant frequencies. At a non towered aerodrome, 2 calls are required, one call at least 4 minutes before the intended drop followed by another at least 2 minutes before the intended drop. If you are in the vicinity & are unsure of the exact drop location contact the drop plane as soon as you hear the 4 minute call. This does assume that the drop pilot is following the rules of course.

• Informative 2

I fly at Goolwa and it's something i have to come to grips with as the drop zone as such is next to the runup bay. First time i flew with drop operations in progress was scary. I was doing circuits and it turned out to be not such a scary thing just listen to the calls and look for open chutes. Always have good airmanship and look up :)

They put a drop zone dead centre of the recommended VFR coastal route south of Melbourne.

Yep, and do you see this as a problem? Particularly given the proximity to Moorabbin Airport and many students flying in that area. Just wondering.

A real problem IMO. Right on the busy coastal route, smack bang in the path of YMEN-YMMB traffic, at least 4 possible frequencies in use (Centre/MB/EN/Yarra), EN approach point at APL, etc etc. Just a dumb location in my view.

And flying out of LIL, I'm used to flying in the midst of skydivers.

• Agree 2