Man faces $9000 fine for sending drone for a sausage

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can see how rampant bureaucracy can make people angry. I am angry that CASA should be so nasty as to make such threats.

This is the sort of thing that helps people vote for anti type candidates like Hanson and Trump.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Helpful 1

This is the sort of thing that helps people vote for anti type candidates like Hanson and Trump.

Exactly Bruce, I thought about posting that but thought one thread currently surrounding them is enough.

I love China, they would pizz themselves laughing at a stunt like this, it's probably in the news here and they probably are!

If I was going to Bunnings I would not be happy to be sharing the carpark with a drone. Wether it was set up or not I don't think that sort of stupidity should be encouraged. About 2years ago I went to a National Park in Qld and there was a drone tearing around the campsite, well away from the operator, behind trees and out of sight in places. At least the operator realised it was inappropriate and shut it down as soon as it was clear to him that we were setting up a campsite.

• Agree 1

It was a bloody stupid thing to do - though in mitigation, apparently he had plotted a route with minimum risk to the general populace. I don't like the thought that numbskulls see getting a video on YouTube as a decent reason to be idiots, but we see way more dangerous stuff posted every day. Had he organised someone at the pick-up point as a 'Safety Officer', and arranged it with Bunnings before hand, I think it would be on the very low-end of 'offences'. I've had a few 'run and dodge' moments in a Bunnings carpark when Fred Fackwit has been driving in with his phone glued to his brain..

• Agree 1

Yep, I've had a bad experience at Bunnings Car parks and I'm still looking for a grey 4WD which dented a door once. He left some grey paint on my car.

But my most recent experience was when I needed a booster start and the first guy within cable-reach who came along was friendly and helpful. I gotta confess I really like Bunnings, even though they don't stock AN bolts.

• Helpful 1
  • Informative 1

I don't think that sort of stupidity should be encouraged.

It was a bloody stupid thing to do -

Hillary supporters.

No need to state the obvious, we know, and that's why there isn't thousands of them landing at Bunnings every day. The general public is reasonably self policing.

The operator took a reasonable step with the very long rope to ensure safety and it's still a laugh, but no, he shouldn't do it again.

I guess Tim will pack it all away and turn to 'Ice' now for kicks.

• Like 3

Yes, there is an ice epidemic out there apparently and nothing much effective is being done about it because we are spending resources elsewhere on non-existant threats like this guy at Bunnings.

Quite a lot more could be done about illegal drugs but it won't be because of the dingo pup problem.

• Agree 2

The 'stupidity' in this case, is not the actual action undertaken - because from everything I have read so far, it was actually undertaken with a decent level of care for the risk of those below. IF CASA prosecutes this bloke, I would hope he gets a $10 fine for public nuisance value and CASA gets lumbered with all the court case fees. The outcome was totally benign ( bar possible flatulence) and I personally consider that it was a hoot, absolutely in keeping with what we like to think is an Australian relaxed attitude.. A Bunnings sauso, delivered to the pool party, without needing to drive ( possibly well-lubricated) down the public roads? Brilliant!

BUT: the 'stupidity' was the expressed reason: to make a YouTube video. Nobody with the slightest appreciation of the infinite capacity of human beings to do stupid things would fail to see that once you start down that track, there will be someone with lower intelligence trying to do it 'better' - from a YouTube video perspective. How long will it be before someone decides to see what a visual hoot it could be to video-strafe the spectators at a football match, or go for the close-ups at a 'nude' beach', or panic a celebrity wedding?

I happen to believe that the responsible and sensible use of this class of drones has the potential to be a major improvement in information-gathering for a whole and vast area of social needs. BUT - I stress: 'responsible and sensible'. If this guy had been, for instance, using his drone to help search for a lost person, identifying the location of a criminal, reporting the progress of a fire or a flood event, beach patrol, - hell, even traffic reporting: I'd contribute to his Court costs.

But just to make a YouTube video and thereby encourage others to mis-use their drones? NO, I class that as stupid.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

I think CASA should capitalize on the opportunity/publicity this YouTube video presents to promote the message of (ir)responsible drone operation. (And maybe pay for the snag.)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

You can see how rampant bureaucracy can make people angry. I am angry that CASA should be so nasty as to make such threats.This is the sort of thing that helps people vote for anti type candidates like Hanson and Trump.

I live on the north flight path out of Mascot. Planes regularly come over my place at about 1500 feet and, closer to the airport, much lower. There are increasing instances of big bird drones being purchase direct and off eBay and not accompanied by the CASA safe operation notices. While there are reduced safety factors operating drones further out, in the inner city and close to airports there are safety issues from things like laser pointers, kids motor bikes and the like being operated by young kids, inexperienced adults and lunatics. There are issues with the radio control, mechanicals and battery packs of some of the imports and a simple examination by an untrained layperson is insufficient to provide qualified approval to the operation of every drone.

One is not sure that the purchaser of the hot dog had had any training or even if his drone was fit for purpose but I guess facing a possible $9000 fine might give some of them pause and have them consider whether they really, really should "just do it". There are some really really stupid people out there and they are the ones who don't need or deserve any encouragements.

If this guy had been, for instance,......, reporting the progress of a fire ..... I'd contribute to his Court costs.

Unless you were a pilot trying to fight the same fire with aircraft, then you would want his head just like CASA do.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Col Jones said "but I guess facing a possible $9000 fine might give some of them pause and have them consider whether they really, really should "just do it".

Col, since when have harsh penalties caused idiots to pause and consider? Prisons are full of them.

• Agree 3

Unless you were a pilot trying to fight the same fire with aircraft, then you would want his head just like CASA do.

Very true, ra, and once there are aerial ops. in place, the drones would have to be grounded - absolutely. But I've been in the RFS for over 20 years, and aerial support isn't anything like ubiquitous.. and when you're out in some really remote area ( like Bindook, where I've been on four occasions, once literally fighting the fire up to the boundary gate) with only one track in, through miles and miles of bush, you'd like to be able to see what's happening around you.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Col Jones said "but I guess facing a possible $9000 fine might give some of them pause and have them consider whether they really, really should "just do it".Col, since when have harsh penalties caused idiots to pause and consider? Prisons are full of them.

We Arent allowed to shoot or Lynch people any more.