Jabiru engine failure

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another day, another jabiru engine failure. A mate contacted me to tell me that his Jabiru engine failed while flying. A piston left the engine then it seized. Lucky to land unscathed in a freshly ploughed field somewhere north of Perth.

glad to hear he's ok, he's obviously a skilled pilot. Any info on which jab engine it is? no. of hours? etc.

thanks

• More 1

glad to hear he's ok, he's obviously a skilled pilot. Any info on which jab engine it is? no. of hours? etc.thanks

One of the recently newly certified series 2200 at 261 hours in a J170 from brand new in a FTF envirionment.

• Informative 1

Another day , another Jab engine failure, and a Piston left the engine and it seized. That sort of stuff contributes nothing of value to the situation. Nev

I disagree Nev. It contributes increased awareness of an ongoing problem.

Oh well the problem will be over soon. There will be no jab engines flying. Is that what everybody wants? I am sure the current owners would like facts and details. Pistons don't leave engines generally, and I'd be very interested as to just HOW that could happen, and does a jab engine fail every day? Really? Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

Lets wait until the full details of the cause are available. Cause could be nothing to do with the engine itself. (oil loss etc)

Problem is that the cause will probably not be published.

Need ATSB to investigate for this to happen...

It is unlikely the engine would be examined by ATSB as there was no loss of life, and they use their resources carefully.. Under the circumstances if it is the later engine particularly, it would be of some interest to know exactly what happened. Nev

Should always fly as if the enigine could stop no matter what power plant you fly behind l know I do."..

Bit of a worry when ya piston get out then has a seizure. lol

2Stroke training Eh Doug? I do have to laugh at the sequence of events..

KP.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Pistons don't leave engines generally, and I'd be very interested as to just HOW that could happen,

I have seen it happen on 3 separate occasions.

Admittedly not on aero engines.

I have had one engine that you could put your head in the hole that the piston had punched through the block on the way out. It also poked a hole through a Bonnet and took out a steer tyre at the same time.

You would think there would have been a catastrophic failure for a piston to be ejected such as a broken Conrod this isn't the usual type of failure I would be very interested in what caused this.

Riley, how come my engine has gone 15 years now and never missed a beat in the air?

My Jabiru 2200 engine has been running happily since 2003. A very reliable engine

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Rods may come out the side and blocks may break. Pistons are not able to do much but go up and down unless something very drastic has happened. Pistons can break into parts and then the rod does a lot of damage. The block (or cylinder) guides the piston and is substantially built. Piston speeds are around 40 MPH max. Hardly having a lot of energy they weigh about 700 grams. Nev

• Like 1