Jabiru engine failure

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turbs, I never told you that my engine failed. You have a very inventive memory, but no match for my mother-in-law.

I once overheated it on ground running and made it run really rough with the loss of a valve seat.

You could achieve something similar with any engine you have handy, just ask and I'll give you instructions.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Turbs, I never told you that my engine failed. You have a very inventive memory, but no match for my mother-in-law.I once overheated it on ground running and made it run really rough with the loss of a valve seat.

You could achieve something similar with any engine you have handy, just ask and I'll give you instructions.

I hate to tell you this, but by whatever reasoning, when a valve seat fails, that's an engine failure and should be reported, particularly when that failure is similar to other valve seat failures.

• Agree 3

Rods may come out the side and blocks may break. Pistons are not able to do much but go up and down unless something very drastic has happened. Pistons can break into parts and then the rod does a lot of damage. The block (or cylinder) guides the piston and is substantially built. Piston speeds are around 40 MPH max. Hardly having a lot of energy they weigh about 700 grams. Nev

True Nev I'd like to see some pics of it a lot has to happen before a piston ends up out of an engine.

• Agree 2

Wae this the incident reported as happening on 12 Nov.

If it was there is no mention in the report of the piston departing the engine. I would really like to see a photo of the engine and get a bit more information on this site.

Turbs, I hate to tell you this, but by engine had an valve seat fall out because of operating it wrongly on the ground.

No advantage would have been gained for anyone by reporting this. If you want to operate an engine outside of the handbook specifications, be my guest and report it all you like.

What good would have come from your advice? Jabiru demolished a few days sooner?

What you talking about? "No advantage would have been gained for anyone by reporting this" Of course, letting people know that incorrect ground operation may entail losing a valve seat is not valuable infomation? What a crock.

Why report anything then? ................ Why share any experience? AFAIC Sharing is spreading knowledge gained by you (at your cost) for the assistance of others...Of course, if you live in a vacuum

• Agree 3

Geoffrey, I told the whole story with photos and it is all still here on this site. Anybody who doesn't use this facility is being willfully ignorant and so beyond help. This obviously doesn't include you.

I agree with you about informing others who operate Jabiru engines but this does not include the sort of officials who I don't trust to handle things properly. Their track record with things Jabiru is poor. I repeat that no advantage would result from reporting to them.

Anyway, the lesson is to follow the factory recommendations when operating the engine.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Riley, how come my engine has gone 15 years now and never missed a beat in the air?

Bruce, I have no experience, personal knowledge or wild-assed theories as to why this one failed at 261 hrs and no relevant answers why your is +15 years old and hasn't caused you any grief. Not sure what sort of an answer would be an effective response to your query.

• Like 1

I know exactly what happened to this engine but I am not telling you until my 'theory' has been proved. 096_tongue_in_cheek.gif.d94cd15a1277d7bcd941bb5f4b93139c.gif.Alan.

Then you must know more than Jabiru, CAE, CASA, ATSB and many other experienced engine maintainers

Why the secrecy?

Another day, another jabiru engine failure. A mate contacted me to tell me that his Jabiru engine failed while flying. A piston left the engine then it seized. Lucky to land unscathed in a freshly ploughed field somewhere north of Perth.

I'm guessing you mean the piston detached and then the engine seized. The first question would be up to date A-D's. Also the date of engine production would be helpful as there are so far, three versions (and a few sub versions), each with pertinent maintenance points.

• Agree 1

I'm guessing you mean the piston detached and then the engine seized. The first question would be up to date A-D's. Also the date of engine production would be helpful as there are so far, three versions (and a few sub versions), each with pertinent maintenance points.

And who/what was the maintainer, what petrol, what was the environment (Hot, training, altitude) etc

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

"I know exactly what happened to this engine but I am not telling you until my 'theory' has been proved. 096_tongue_in_cheek.gif.d94cd15a1277d7bcd941bb5f4b93139c.gif"

Do you know what happened Guernsey or is it a theory?

If you know how can it be a theory, surely that would make it a fact.

So far we know nothing about this so called engine failure except the questionable info on this post.

Bearing in mind that CASA has counted fuel exhaustion as an engine failure caused by Jabiru design, I really want to see something sensible rather than a half baked theory which is not to be revealed. The whole thing seems to be another case of Jabiru bashing.

Maybe we should go through all the incident and accident reports and provide theories for other than Jab engines to fail. Yes there are some.

• Agree 3

"I know exactly what happened to this engine but I am not telling you until my 'theory' has been proved. 096_tongue_in_cheek.gif.d94cd15a1277d7bcd941bb5f4b93139c.gif"Do you know what happened Guernsey or is it a theory?

So far we know nothing about this so called engine failure except the questionable info on this post.

Bearing in mind that CASA has counted fuel exhaustion as an engine failure caused by Jabiru design, I really want to see something sensible rather than a half baked theory which is not to be revealed. The whole thing seems to be another case of Jabiru bashing.

Maybe we should go through all the incident and accident reports and provide theories for other than Jab engines to fail. Yes there are some.

Quote ".............. we know nothing about this so-called engine failure except for the questionable info on this post" unquote. Well put Yenn. Much of the conjecture put up on this thread so far comprises figments of some imaginative minds. Wait for the facts folks.

• Agree 1

"I know exactly what happened to this engine but I am not telling you until my 'theory' has been proved. 096_tongue_in_cheek.gif.d94cd15a1277d7bcd941bb5f4b93139c.gif"Do you know what happened Guernsey or is it a theory?

When a thread starts out with an opening sentence like "Another day another Jabiru engine failure" you know where it's going. Such a shame this continues on with some.

• Agree 4

Another day, another jabiru engine failure. A mate contacted me to tell me that his Jabiru engine failed while flying. A piston left the engine then it seized. Lucky to land unscathed in a freshly ploughed field somewhere north of Perth.

I guess you can see what you started; by now the information should be a lot more precise in terms of what actually happened, in technical terms. Any better descriptions?

• Agree 2

Kick em when they are down. Let's recall there were no criminal activities involved in any of this. Some people have paid a high price.. Let's have some constructive comment. As I've always said . There are engines much worse than the Jabiru's. Don't tell CASA though. All engines should do 10,000 hours average for one failure.. In your dreams..Nev

Kick em when they are down. Let's recall there were no criminal activities involved in any of this. Some people have paid a high price.. Let's have some constructive comment. As I've always said . There are engines much worse than the Jabiru's. Don't tell CASA though. All engines should do 10,000 hours average for one failure.. In your dreams..Nev

Kick who when they are down? or are we just trying to inflame the situation by repeating porkies from the past. Who would seriously be able to make a conclusion one way OR THE OTHER from the OP?

This is one occurrence, and is entitled to be looked at on its own merits, and people might note it has been some time since any other reports have reached the public.

I know exactly what happened to this engine but I am not telling you until my 'theory' has been proved. 096_tongue_in_cheek.gif.d94cd15a1277d7bcd941bb5f4b93139c.gif.Alan.

Stone the crows people, only three members appreciated my warped sense of humour, didn't you see the extra large tongue in cheek at the end. 087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif

Alan.

• Like 5
  • Winner 1