Ultralight crash North of Rockhampton

alfYou are true... I really was with the fairies.... I am so used to my PPC springed foot throttle that I forgot trikes have also a hand-throttle as extra gizmo, when you have a pull starter and get worked up because you are all sweaty and short of breath and used up all the curse words after half an hour of pulling and want to give the machine to the first passer by, you lose a bit of concentration... And as a last resort, when your purple hazed mind tells you to reach for the spray can of Quick Start you are far from imagining it is going to work and spur the lazy bronco forward first pull

1/3 of forgotten throttle opening, (because I din't remember it even existed) is enough to destroy a life in a split second.. I was lucky it was a genuine wide and thin silent Arplast any other would have killed me, got a free helico ride to hospital, and I thought how lucky....some pay for that

And yes I see you have the trike fire still burning in you and know what you are talking about..mektoub .inch allah

as for me, it is zobi

I am not sure that, when I wake up from the shock of John's departure. I shall have the will to go on with some one else, it will never be the same

a therapy with Chris Brandon may help mending my soul

My last post

Frog

Thank you for the message, I wasnt in anyway having a go at you and I was sincere in saying I'm glad you survived it

I'd like to send you a private message after I get home from this charter bus I'm currently doing as I'd like to talk to you about a few things that aren't all related to aviation if that is ok with you

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To all Microlight pilots, family and friends, attached is the funeral notice for John and the related proceedings, Julie (John's wife), her family and myself would greatly appreciate it if you could disseminate this information to the many pilots and friends and those who knew and respected John.At this incredibly difficult time your support and condolences have been deeply appreciated and on behalf of John's family, friends and greater flying community including Caboolture Microlights that John, Mark Gentry and Neil Schaefer fostered over the last 10 + years I wish to thank you

NOTICE

Dearly loved Husband of Julie. Loved Brother and Brother-in-law of Julie and Pete, David and Gary. Loved Son of Jeffrey (dec’d) and Margaret, and Uncle to Matt, Nat and Ed.Family and Friends of John are invited to attend his Funeral Service, to be held at 1 p.m., Saturday, 10th December, 2016, in the George Hartnett Chapel, 42 Gaza Road, Holland Park.

Upon conclusion of the service, family and friends and fellow club members are invited to attend a Celebration of John’s life at the Caboolture Aero Club new clubhouse facility.

Hi Budgie Just asking weather you can find out do we all need to bring some thing ( refreshments) along to celebration of John life at the club house after the funeral . It may help take some of the stress and cost out of any arrangements for the family involved . If you could ask weather they would like that ?

Dan

• More 1

Post #108... two good family men are sadly not with us anymore - trike pilots of Australia.

Crezzi and I flew together way back at Rutherford Aerodrome.. in the '80s, so he may qualify to fly trikes in Australia.

.. it saddens me deeply for all (150 plus) lost lives in trikes across Australia since 1982... few will understand.

My thoughts & prayers will be with all, come Saturday 10 December to celebrate a true aviator, father and good soul.

An uncomfortable message is appearing in just.. 107 posts.!

Crezzi.. does not need to hear negative verbal aroma about a sport as he rests with the angels.

John loved triking... lets make it safer than it all ready is today.

Find the reason, solve the problem.. do lots more triking.!

The RAA - Ian Hodgson Memerial Trophy, is in recognition of the first trike tumble fatality at Coleambally - I was there.

Time to create.. the John Cresswell Award.. Excellence in Flight Safety..

Providing we receive transparent reliable evidence into prevention of triking accidents.

My deepest respective condolences to the families of Jason Caswell at this tough moment.

There is so much more to this accident, upon a history of lost Aussie trikers, it disgust me beyond anything.

Time to create another post for resolve.!

Rest in Peace ~ John & Jason

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1
  • More 1

RAA, HGFA, ATSB and CASA please work collegiality to investigate the strutted Arrow wing. Almost all the recent trike accidents, including most all of the fatalities, have been under an Arrow wing. Too much of a coincidence to ignore....Dundee/Glen Inness - two fatalities - April, 2015

Noosa - very lucky pilot - March 2015

Yarrawonga - two fatalities - March 2016

Mobray/Cairns - near miss - two person - Sept 2016

Rockhampton - two fatalities

Just a few that come immediately to mind, however, there's sure to be a few more (including a few near misses I know about).

This wing is dangerous and I'm regularly saddened, frustrated and angered hearing about high hour pilots, including CFI's having fatal incidents and that nothing is being done to ground this wing, rather blame the pilot. There's a design fault that will pull the wing into an unrecoverable spin that even Arnie Schwarzenegger wouldn't be able to get out of or that the wing becomes erratically uncontrollable in pitch & roll as was the case in one of the above....

Although, not in Australia, here is another

Pilot killed after ultralight aircraft crashes at Goleta apartment complex

Today.. hit Google search world for info about trike accidents/deaths globally.

..mmm, library days are over - learnt heaps, feelings jolted and emotions spilled - all confirming my passion to fly safely.

Facebook memo in respect to my aviator friend - John Cresswell & also Jason Caswell.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011507326530

We aussie trikers MUST.. re-ignite the fun sport of trike flying in 2017.

Our current safety record is "Bollocks"; as Crezzi's angels command my hands.!

Excellence in Safety

Sport Aviation Transparency in Australia:

1. CASA Acceptable (CAO-95.32) aircraft manufacturing standards with NAA recognition.

2. Aerodynamic Wing Stability Testing - German DULV or similar acceptable procedures.

3. Timely reliable Accident Reporting methods by Authorities.

4. Pilot Command Ability Competency Training - AIRCRAFT TYPE Compliant / Wing Design & Performance Handling

5. Best Practice Instruction Methods + Aircraft Design = Safer Trike Flying

Amen.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

It may be time that casa does some independent testing for them selfs they have gone throw some of the Raa LSA aircraft and struck them off as type approvel finding fauilts . I'm not sure casa is up to speed on any weight shift aircraft or weather they have any interest in micro lights . How ever these aircraft are being used for hire and reward so it ,s in law they be checked for safety when accidents take place . I honestly do think weight shift aircraft have to be tested better then they are at the moment . John was no cow boy and knew more then most about trikes and all the different wings and there down falls . It would be very hard to pin point any cause on some trike accident as they don,t have all the controls and things to check after the fact just a bent wing frame . I would guest a lot of reports would say loss of control pointing to pilot not to some of the other facts and unsolve questions and grey areas . In some cases No matter how good you are and you get in that grey untested area like a lot of sink ,crosswind ,thermal ,spin dive you could get it out of that in weight shift aircraft . There are open and shut cases of pilots showing off but there are also a lot of cases where it has been a total unknown cause just lose of control . . May be someone can shed light on some of the grey areas of trikes . Dan

• Informative 1

Yes dan there are 90 percent will be with you but that 10 percent that won't then you have that thirty percent that every things ok then you have 20 percent I don't give flying frills I want to to fly I don't care what you do as long as I can fly anywhere

As I have found out by making this statement "all rotax powered air craft will have fuel return line to tank "

As in my opinion and rotax installation manual

As foxbat have now made it mandatory for this to be done but there is now set time as to when it is to be done that I can see

Haven't had a problem with it doesn't wash with me

Has anybody looked at it no because the high hr pilots that may have picked up on that may not be here

Like don't need a lift fuel pump cause the tank is higher than the carby it will just flow down the pipe bullsxxx since when have fuel tanks been 5 mtrs above the carby

The cost of doing is minimal if these items are done at the start the weight what's a couple of kelos or a life neil

Yes dan there are 90 percent will be with you but that 10 percent that won't then you have that thirty percent that every things ok then you have 20 percent I don't give flying frills I want to to fly I don't care what you do as long as I can fly anywhere As I have found out by making this statement "all rotax powered air craft will have fuel return line to tank "

As in my opinion and rotax installation manual

As foxbat have now made it mandatory for this to be done but there is now set time as to when it is to be done that I can see

Haven't had a problem with it doesn't wash with me

Has anybody looked at it no because the high hr pilots that may have picked up on that may not be here

Like don't need a lift fuel pump cause the tank is higher than the carby it will just flow down the pipe bullsxxx since when have fuel tanks been 5 mtrs above the carby

The cost of doing is minimal if these items are done at the start the weight what's a couple of kelos or a life neil

150 percent ??

Because if the engine manufacturers design engineers called them up, there was an engineering reason, whether it was to limit the pressure on float valves, prevent vapour lock, or whatever came up during testing.

You might well be able to leave them off and have days, weeks, months, years of use without an incident, but when the conditions equate to what was found on the dyno occur, your skills at pulling off the impossible landing might be needed.

Liquid performance inside small lines is fascinating, as I've found many times when trying to get an innoculator working despite maximum head and a lot of pumping, and also stop mikuni carbies flooding with quite a low head.

If the engine manufacturer specifies a reason, as a result of test results, that's the equivalent of a safety warning, so why would you take the risk?

• Agree 3

When you wind up a tree height from 3500 ft and the smell mogas in cockpit with a motor that flooding

This happened to me twice

After two new needle and seat replacement

I find out that my aircraft was not fitted with that return line

Now get your arse of that chair and find out how man have died in planes that were not airworthy because off this

Just goes to show that some are as dumb as dogs shxxx if they want me to become an educated idiot Neil

When you wind up a tree height from 3500 ft and the smell mogas in cockpit with a motor that floodingThis happened to me twice

After two new needle and seat replacement

I find out that my aircraft was not fitted with that return line

Now get your **** of that chair and find out how man have died in planes that were not airworthy because off this

Just goes to show that some are as dumb as dogs shxxx if they want me to become an educated idiot Neil

Neil

I hear what your saying about the return lines and if Rotax says they should have one the should with no excuses

But an engine failure from this or from any other reason is not a reason to die

People should not really die in a forced landing, the plane will fly perfectly under control all the way to the ground

It's what you do at the bottom determines whether you live or die

Yes a failure from not having the return line on as required is stupid but still not a reason to die, so what you saying about how many have died from this is not valid

They died from mishandling the plane in the end

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Even if most of them bear very little resemblance to the Queens's English!

I thought it was only me not being able to understand.

Whatever happened to CAPITOLS and punctuation,,,,....;'''';;;;;;;.

Where's Dazza ?

I thought it was only me not being able to understand.Whatever happened to CAPITOLS and punctuation,,,,....;'''';;;;;;;.

Where's Dazza ?

Dazza is on a cruise ship somewhere around New Zealand as we speak lol

• Like 2

Today.. hit Google search world for info about trike accidents/deaths globally...mmm, library days are over - learnt heaps, feelings jolted and emotions spilled - all confirming my passion to fly safely.

Facebook memo in respect to my aviator friend - John Cresswell & also Jason Caswell.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011507326530

We aussie trikers MUST.. re-ignite the fun sport of trike flying in 2017.

Our current safety record is "Bollocks"; as Crezzi's angels command my hands.!

Excellence in Safety

Sport Aviation Transparency in Australia:

1. CASA Acceptable (CAO-95.32) aircraft manufacturing standards with NAA recognition.

2. Aerodynamic Wing Stability Testing - German DULV or similar acceptable procedures.

3. Timely reliable Accident Reporting methods by Authorities.

4. Pilot Command Ability Competency Training - AIRCRAFT TYPE Compliant / Wing Design & Performance Handling

5. Best Practice Instruction Methods + Aircraft Design = Safer Trike Flying

Amen.

It needs to happen, as we come to the end of a year of yet again dubious statistics (not even counting the two Fixed Wing Recreational in the last week in WA) it truly is time for those with a passion for the sport and the longevity of the sport to start making some waves and looking towards some changes.

Whilst I am sure it is hard to determine causes in many cases as we do not have the luxury of Data Recorders and Voice Recorders there is no reason that progress cannot be made. I am new to WM however there are many out there with the knowledge and experience to guide the change & safety process and those of us with less experience but not short of passion can jump on board and assist where relevant.

Yes why as i said at 3500 ft I had time on my side at 3000 ft I would have been in a paddock

Where is there proof that this did not contribute to several incidences of high hr pilots what are we not being told

Are we being taken for a ride when I was told not to make waves by the ones that govern this sport

granted I was making an assumption but with valid reason off the failure off persons when told off the blantant disregard for the makers manual Neil

RAA, HGFA, ATSB and CASA please work collegiality to investigate the strutted Arrow wing. Almost all the recent trike accidents, including most all of the fatalities, have been under an Arrow wing. Too much of a coincidence to ignore....Dundee/Glen Inness - two fatalities - April, 2015

Noosa - very lucky pilot - March 2015

Yarrawonga - two fatalities - March 2016

Mobray/Cairns - near miss - two person - Sept 2016

Rockhampton - two fatalities

Just a few that come immediately to mind, however, there's sure to be a few more (including a few near misses I know about).

This wing is dangerous and I'm regularly saddened, frustrated and angered hearing about high hour pilots, including CFI's having fatal incidents and that nothing is being done to ground this wing, rather blame the pilot. There's a design fault that will pull the wing into an unrecoverable spin that even Arnie Schwarzenegger wouldn't be able to get out of or that the wing becomes erratically uncontrollable in pitch & roll as was the case in one of the above....

Another fatal accident involving a trike with an Arrow wing. In the US this time...

Pilot Dies in Ultralight Crash at Goleta Apartment Complex

• Informative 1

dan3111. Comical play on words around a serious matter. Yes this is the most popular trike in Aust, and as such, likely to reflect an equivalent proportion of incidents to hours flown. However hours flown in this trike eith this wing... very different. Very much the way Jabiru issues were highlighted but denied so this is just replaying the same recorded response (or absence there of). But an incdent every two point something months since early last year is concerning, particularly when half are catastrophic. Having two trike Part149 RAAO's splits the investigations and the two may not be aware of what the other does or openly discuss investigation outcomes (as highlighted earlier in this thread). Yes... some may chose to attack me rather than the issue & thats fine. I dont care. Fellow pilots dying - more than sticks & stones... then I care....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Helpful 1