Ultralight crash North of Rockhampton

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johns funeral was last saturday afternoon in Holland park in Brisbane ,as he lived near there . There was well. over well 100 people there and cars where even up the street foot path as so many people and cars parked any way they could fit . The service was so well planned with one of his friends editing a few videos of some of his flying trips that where firmed , and on Foxtel years back ,not to many people could say there flying documentary made it to main stream tv . His wife Julie was so brave to stand up there and give a 15 minute insign into there life's together . Two of his best friends also did the same ,so was good to see he was so well loved . They internet streamed the service to his family in the uk modern technology at its best . They then had do up at the new Caboolture airfield club house . Five of the training aircraft he used had a fly past ( including two of his best mates flying his owe two trikes). Was good to see all his friends chip in and help out as much as they could a lot of them had visited is wife over the last two weeks to lend there support . After any death there people left behind but in this case so close to xmass there is so people that will miss him on a day today base as he was always there at the airfield . Rest in piece John

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Johns funeral was last saturday afternoon in Holland park in Brisbane ,as he lived near there . There was well. over well 100 people there and cars where even up the street foot path as so many people and cars parked any way they could fit . The service was so well planned with one of his friends editing a few videos of some of his flying trips that where firmed , and on Foxtel years back ,not to many people could say there flying documentary made it to main stream tv . His wife Julie was so brave to stand up there and give a 15 minute insign into there life's together . Two of his best friends also did the same ,so was good to see he was so well loved . They internet streamed the service to his family in the uk modern technology at its best . They then had do up at the new Caboolture airfield club house . Five of the training aircraft he used had a fly past ( including two of his best mates flying his owe two trikes). Was good to see all his friends chip in and help out as much as they could a lot of them had visited is wife over the last two weeks to lend there support . After any death there people left behind but in this case so close to xmass there is so people that will miss him on a day today base as he was always there at the airfield . Rest in piece John

It's always so damn tragic, never more so than when people are involved that we see as at the top of their game where this type of incident is least expected.

My thoughts sincerely go out to all those left behind but none more so than the wife and family of not only John but also Jason Caswell the passenger.

For my part I can only hope that out of this something positive comes with respect to the cause of the incident, that can be taken on board by all in the industry to maybe save a life in the future. I am sure all of us that fly would want to hope that anything we were involved in could go towards improving the future safety of the industry, I know I would for sure.

I'm not considered religious but god bless John, Jason and all those left wondering and hurting at this time of year.

Craig

• Winner 2

..ever wondered why any Directors of Airborne Australia are not involved ..; with kind reply to our postings here at RF.com ??

After all, so many AA trike pilots have left us flying their machines, with respectful experience and wisdom...

ONLY.. to dissolve into an imperative result.. answer - Simple Pilot Error... or/maybe.. Mis-Adventure.. resulting in death.!

Are we for REAL.. my gut is getting personal reflections of too many.. for NO real REASON.

Time to break the mystic protective mold.. on triking in Australia - the future in triking Oz - 2017.

Trusting final results.. ASTB, CASA, RA-Aus a & the Coroner Report.. for JC.. & many others..

.. Australia could represent a BENCHMARK in triking sport aviation SAFETY .. as it WAS,..!

Sadly, disgustingly and not at all acceptable.. we display poor BENCHMARK STANDARDS, in microlight safety - globally...!

No apology in this message.. only truth of now.

Time to change protocol in our industry of flying trikes for FUN...!

• Agree 2

No balls .. no pride.. no pride.. no worth.. no worth.. !

.. then, what your doing has no pride and is worth nothing at all.

Anyone got a strategy on how we make Aussie triking safer, in 2017..?

... keep it simple, achievable and on target.!

Your comments...

That's a tough one Chris,

Here are my thoughts in no particular order

1. Treat flying with the respect it deserves

2. Conduct thorough preflight inspections of your aircraft

3.Check weather

4. Refrain from showing off

5. Practice what you were trained in emergency procedures between BFR's

6. Make smart decisions when flying if things aren't going as planned

7. Trust your gut feelings, if your not comfortable for some reason, don't go just to please others

8. Understand it can happen to you and you can be that someone else

9. Don't take risks

They are some things I think we can do to stay safer

Alf

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

Many years ago I proposed a compilation of flight characteristics of various designs and types of aircraft, to be available to all pilots, under the RAAus. It would take quite a while to do it properly. (that shouldn't stop us). This can only go so far as individual builds introduce a variability and also LOADING and flight envelope is involved too.. But.... Having "endorsements" doesn't cover it fully with this variability AND to have an understanding of the effects of "this and that" on how a particular plane actually flies, responds and behaves under particular circumstances would help people to not get into the areas where something unusual may be experienced and catch you out.

This would compliment flying training which may often be inadequate in this area. An "endorsement" is not strictly required under the rules if you are type "trained" ( 3 axis , tailwheel etc) and it's on your certificate. Some familiarisation and perhaps notation in a log book may be PART of what is needed but "did a coupla circuits and he/she knows where the ground is" may not be that significant, useful or cover what I'm looking at. Landing is the thing everyone notices buy it's a small part of the art of flying a plane safely or perhaps "airmanship" PLUS... awareness of what I'm addressing. (attempting to). Nev

Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I think trikes have evolved a lot over the last 10 years with the main manufactures moving to 4 stroke engines that set and forget and better materials used . But there is lots of trade offs in doing this the tare weight has increased a lot and bigger arms needed to control the trust of the bigger engine .I don.t fly trikes but over the years have seen the landing distance increase a lot . I remember 20 years a go they used to come in and fare and be stopped in a few yards it use to amaze me . But now its a bit different and speeds have increased between all the models . So more weight gives you better penetration but trade off you need a lot more height to recover from stall .In the early days they only flew in calm morning now they fly in any weather. So my question is what are the limits of any weight shift aircraft and how fast ,how heavy ,and how rough conditions can they be design for .Also one thing that hasn,t been addressed is better protection for pilot as there zero at the moment .

• Like 2
  • Caution 1

I think trikes have evolved a lot over the last 10 years with the main manufactures moving to 4 stroke engines that set and forget and better materials used . But there is lots of trade offs in doing this the tare weight has increased a lot and bigger arms needed to control the trust of the bigger engine .I don.t fly trikes but over the years have seen the landing distance increase a lot . I remember 20 years a go they used to come in and fare and be stopped in a few yards it use to amaze me . But now its a bit different and speeds have increased between all the models . So more weight gives you better penetration but trade off you need a lot more height to recover from stall .In the early days they only flew in calm morning now they fly in any weather. So my question is what are the limits of any weight shift aircraft and how fast ,how heavy ,and how rough conditions can they be design for .Also one thing that hasn,t been addressed is better protection for pilot as there zero at the moment .

Dan311 it may help with your understanding if you were to take a flight with an experienced trike CFI who could demonstrate the capabilities of a modern trike. Some of you're assumptions maybe missing the mark.

• Agree 1

Not sure what sort of trike this is...

Interesting points I see....

1. Very little obvious warning of the stall.

2. Front seat pilot doesn't recognise the stalled wing.

2. Tiny amount of wing movement required to recover by back seat pilot.

I probably forgot one of the most important things

10. Read and understand your flight and maintenance manuals and know the aircrafts limitations and remain inside them, otherwise you become a test pilot, and most test pilots wear parachutes, you most likely don't

• Like 1
  • Winner 2

Not sure what sort of trike this is...Interesting points I see....

1. Very little obvious warning of the stall.

2. Front seat pilot doesn't recognise the stalled wing.

2. Tiny amount of wing movement required to recover by back seat pilot.

That trike is an Air Creation Tanarg, which is not really relevant to the cause of many of these accidents IMHO.

The trike is fitted with an Evolution Trikes wing, not an option offered by A.C, that in itself is not the problem either.

Where the problem is, the wing is a small fast wing, ( around 12 sqm ). Many pilots with lots of experience, come unstuck because they have been trained and are familiar with the larger wings, and where they have been able to get away with inputting large bank angles at low speed without coordinating the turn, the new generation wings will bite them, due to the higher wing loading.

What is needed, is training with an instructor experienced with the new gen wings, and practice, practice, practice at recovery from a spiral dive (demonstrated beautifully by Henry in the back seat). The inputs need to be instinctive, because where the above scenario is most likely to happen is low altitude where you don't have time for the "oh shit what is it I do here again" moment.

I am not in anyway suggesting that this is relevant to the accident being discussed here, and it is only my personal opinion. ( I am not an instructor)

• Like 1
  • Winner 2