Study group - chatroom to ask questions

Throughout my training I've had a lot of little questions, but no-one to answer them. I've also had questions I'm too scared/embarrassed to ask my instructor or make a thread about here.

I have created a Discord server which you can join by clicking here - https://discord.gg/Kqr6eyq. For anyone (I assume most of you) foreign to Discord, it is a very lightweight chat platform. All you need to do is put in a username, password and backup email then you are able to join the conversation.

The advantage of this chatroom is it's instantaneous messaging - you can see when people are typing and have proper conversations. This is a lot handier than the forum setting for asking questions.

Thanks!

Welcome Blood and Iron,

We actually have a training area that may have many of the answers you are after. Check out some of the threads and such.

You may be better asking specific questions here on the site- it may be slower but you will get a wide range of very knowledgeable folks answering.

Yes it takes time but learning to fly is a life long education.

Remember:

The only stupid question is the one you did not ask.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

We have had chat rooms and instant messaging here many times however they were not generally used. Besides, any question that you ask is better to be done in the forums as many users may also like to know the answer to the same question plus it is then recorded in the forums, with future discussions, for any other user down the track who may also want to know the answer which can then be easily found.

The idea of this site is to build up an extensive repository of every piece of information a recreational aviator my need plus the exchange of experiences between them. Directing users away from here does not help in achieving this and only fragments pieces of information that may be important to users if not today but maybe some time in the future.

• Agree 2

Did you know that people who study in groups (generally) do ten times better than those who study alone. And those who have 'hands on' experience (actually playing with or dismantling the things they're learning about.) also do ten times better. The internet is a great resource but always be aware that those providing answers may not be experts and may in fact be idiots.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Agree Nev...however don't you think that a forum environment, having the opportunity of discussion from many different people and resources, assists in achieving greater quality control than that is available from a single opinion without means of challenge?

• Agree 3

If you keep it to basic principles discussion is ok and very helpful. You don't know how the person's Instructor is dealing with it and the result MAY be something bad if the "listener" takes something literally as it's not qualified enough as to when it actually applies, and when it doesn't.

Also what works for you , me and Joe blow may not cut it with a student having a difficulty with "getting " some particular aspect of their flying at some point to in time. There's no substitute for one on one with facial contact chalk boards, models with moveable control surfaces, diagrams etc. Low hours pilots have a unique situation. The explanation and standard must be adequate and safe for any anticipated situation but extra complexity at that stage may create confusion which is dangerous in aviation. Students often apply yesterdays lesson whether it's appropriate or not to the situation. Funny phenomenon that. Nev

• Agree 3