Area Freq or Multicom?

Speaking as someone who in his day job flies at flight levels across vast tracts of country with that airspace I can say broadcasts on area VHF rarely bother me. Unless Farmer Joe manages to drag a 10 second radio call out to 3 minutes. Then it bothers me, and where you get problems is often that exact scenario. It's not the fact they're broadcasting, it's the poor quality and lack of forethought going into the broadcast.

It would bother me if it was on busy Centre frequencies getting close into major airports, but again I rarely ever hear that happen.

Other than that it's something for Airservices and CASA to sort out.

• Informative 1

All of us following the same flawed protocols is far safer then everyone thinking they know better

That to me is a flawed protocol. What you are implying is that it is better to make up your own rules than abide by the imposed flawed rules. I fail to see how that can make flying simpler.

Speaking as someone who in his day job flies at flight levels across vast tracts of country with that airspace I can say broadcasts on area VHF rarely bother me. Unless Farmer Joe manages to drag a 10 second radio call out to 3 minutes. Then it bothers me, and where you get problems is often that exact scenario. It's not the fact they're broadcasting, it's the poor quality and lack of forethought going into the broadcast.It would bother me if it was on busy Centre frequencies getting close into major airports, but again I rarely ever hear that happen.

Other than that it's something for Airservices and CASA to sort out.

And it seems to be the professional pilots, who have much experience, jambing a 10 sec transmission into 5, making it unintelligible..

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 8 months later...

Actually Yenn I was saying exactly what you are... I was implying that we shouldn't be making stuff up. We need to follow the same protocol even if it is flawed. "All of us following the same flawed protocols" is far safer than "everyone thinking they know better"

I have seen this same debate raging in several groups even up until today... its ridiculous how unclear it is...

We may all agree that the current situation is flawed, but we still have to abide by the rules. If you are involved in an incident and have a radio in the plane, you could be in strife if you were not monitoring the correct frequency. Do the right thing, because if you don't and I do we are not going to hear each other.

However you've all missed the significant point.

That is that there are many situations that don't have rules to cover them ( not that people have just decided to make up their own) they genuinely don't have rules or they have rules which can't be followed.

There are busy country airfields that don't appear on maps, or that appear on one map but not others and if you don't know that they are on another map then you will be "legally" using a different frequency to someone else who uses a different map that has the airfield marked.

There are airfields that are outside the "vicinities" ( just) between two airfields that do appear on maps and strictly a pilot should be on area while two nearby airfields are using 126.7 and traffic to ransitting between the two are using 126.7 And one near here that is under the steps of a nearby major airfield but has its own 126.7 frequency but also has significant traffic entering from yet another area freq. Sticking to the rules means you definitely will not hear traffic because there are so many frequencies that legally require you to be on different frequencies.

In these areas there is vast confusion as to what frequency people should be on, because it's not actually covered by the rules.

If the rule makers had had some forthought then a lot of the anger and different interpretations wouldn't exist.

I think you will find that it is covered by the rules. They seem fairly simple to me and I also agree that they are flawed.

Last weekend we had sevaral planes operating from our un mapped strip and area frequency was very busy. Area traffic is anything from foreign airliners coming in to Brisbane, IFR traffic up the Qld coast and just about anything else that moves. We are close to YGLA which has a dedicated frequency, also Miriam Vale which is on the charts, but doesn't exist and is also on the line between two different area frequencies. Maybe sometime before I get too old to fly we will get a definite ruling, but don't hold your breath.

I think you will find that it is covered by the rules. They seem fairly simple to me and I also agree that they are flawed.Last weekend we had sevaral planes operating from our un mapped strip and area frequency was very busy. Area traffic is anything from foreign airliners coming in to Brisbane, IFR traffic up the Qld coast and just about anything else that moves. We are close to YGLA which has a dedicated frequency, also Miriam Vale which is on the charts, but doesn't exist and is also on the line between two different area frequencies. Maybe sometime before I get too old to fly we will get a definite ruling, but don't hold your breath.

Yenn, why don't you notify ASA you would like your airstrip noted on charts...safer for everyone?

Kaz

Not everyone wants their airfield noted on charts.

I know someone who had testing officers using their strip without permission for precautionary searches/forced landings during license tests, and annoying their neighbors. It wouldn't be uncommon to have a private strip where you might invite a group of friends, club etc. in once or twice a year, but you don't want its presence to be generally known.

• Agree 2

Not everyone wants their airfield noted on charts.I know someone who had testing officers using their strip without permission for precautionary searches/forced landings during license tests, and annoying their neighbors. It wouldn't be uncommon to have a private strip where you might invite a group of friends, club etc. in once or twice a year, but you don't want its presence to be generally known.

That's fine Aro, but it seems that the strip used by Yenn gets quite busy and is also located near other busy ALAs so there is a safety issue.

Kaz