BRS Chutes on Trikes

Hi all.

I was wondering what everyones thoughts are on Ballistic recovery chutes fitted to trikes. There are plenty of reports where they have been deployed in 3 axis planes but I cant find any info on trikes. Are they are worthy investment and at what hight do they become unusable.

My main reason for liking chutes is for structural failure, it wouldn't be a nice feeling watching your wing depart with your chute neatly attached to it:sad angel:

Not that I have heard of an over abundance of departing wings but I do always think about it.

There are plenty of trikes fitted with them, usually across the frame under the motor.

IMHO the times that they would be useful are rare, most accidents we hear about, have their beginnings when the trike is already at low level. By the time you realise your situation is not recoverable it's too late.

Bird strike is probably the one where a BRS would be handy. If you make a habit of flying over tiger country, then maybe.......

Does anyone know how low they can be deployed?

Does it matter? If you're "too low" even knocking off a single knot might make the difference, worth it in my book.

I'm guessing the "ideal deployment height" stated is to obtain full deceleration before impact, part deceleration is not a bad thing.

Hi all.I was wondering what everyones thoughts are on Ballistic recovery chutes fitted to trikes. There are plenty of reports where they have been deployed in 3 axis planes but I cant find any info on trikes. Are they are worthy investment and at what hight do they become unusable.

Hi BLA82

I put one on my trike after I had a near miss with 4 ibis coming out of a turn

I thought it was a good investment even after 400 odd hours of trike flying and although I had complete faith in the trike previously this almost caught me out

Unfortunately the person I sold it too lost his life 14 months after I sold it to him

It could have saved him if he used if even from the 400 ft he was at when he stalled the inner wing turning final

I insisted he arm the chute like I did for every flight and practice often reaching for it so it became instinctiveas I said to him he wouldn't have time to fiddle for the pin to arm it if the poo hit the fan did he arm it while flying that I cannot answer but I do doubt it.

The chute was mounted at the rear of the base bar with a designed mount for airborne trikes with the rocket pointing about 45 deg down departing behind the wheel spat which believe it or not was the most effective position

Are they worth it?? I think my life was worth more than the 6500 it cost me if it saved me just once

• Like 2

My main reason for liking chutes is for structural failure, it wouldn't be a nice feeling watching your wing depart with your chute neatly attached to it:sad angel:Not that I have heard of an over abundance of departing wings but I do always think about it.

SDQDI

Lanyard was attached to the mast under the top engine mount, not to the wing

I have been looking into having a chute and you MUST modify your startup and shutdown proceedures to include arming and disarming the system otherwise you may not even have one fitted. Once it becomes part of the proceedure either by list or commited to memory then Alf is right. Just have to practice where it is to make sure its instinctive if possible

• Like 1

Thanks Alf I think I'm sold.

BLA82

You will probably find that you will carry it around and never use it during your flying career

But!!! What an investment it will be if you have to use it and it infact does save you

6-7k was well spent

I always had the knockers bagging it out, but I just said to them I bet there would be plenty of dead pilots who were knockers of a BRS that would give anything to have had one on when they were meeting their demise

It's a small price to pay to possibly give you a second chance

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1

Excitor Ppc trike has factory fitted and good at 100 feet (90%sure)

I suppose if you have a chute collapse at 100 ft with those elliptical canopies they fly with,you would have to be a quick

wild west gunslinging cowboy and be really quick on that trigger.

• Agree 1

I suppose if you have a chute collapse at 100 ft with those elliptical canopies they fly with,you would have to be a quickwild west gunslinging cowboy and be really quick on that trigger.

100 feet, good luck with that. Im picturing a While E Coyote cartoon with canopy floating down over him as lies burried in the canyon floor

• Like 1
  • Haha 1