donations to aviation by Dick Smith

This donation is very, very interesting:

Clamback and Hennessy Aviation ($20,000) For exemplary services to the aviation training industry while being opposed by formidable forces.

Clamback and Hennesy, based at Bankstown Airport, is one of the very many long-established flight training organisations that were adversely impacted by the takeover of Bankstown Airport by the Sydney Metro Airports consortium.C & H was involved in extensive litigation because when SMA bought the leases for Bankstown, Hoxton Park and Camden, SMA said that all prior leases between tenants and the Commonwealth Government were terminated and tenants had to enter into new leases with the respective head lease holder (in the case of BK, it is Bankstown Airports Ltd). The new leases dramatically increased the rents for the land upon which the buildings erected by the tenants while under Commonwealth lease. Further conditions of the lease meant that at the expiry of a lease, the buildings erected at the expense of the tenants reverted to the ownership of BAL. Since the value of the buildings, and goodwill of their businesses represented the superannuation investment of these tenants, the lease conditions effectively pointed the tenants to to a life of penury in retirement.

C & H continue to operate at BK, but like many other long time tenants, they are locked into leases with onerous conditions and exorbitant rents. That is one of the main reasons that all GA operations are so expensive compared to costs overseas, and why so many aviation-orientated young people have given up hope of either a career in aviation (in the air or on the ground), or of using aviation as a recreation.

OME

• Like 4
  • Informative 2

Yeah, it's really funny to me when people use a service that is free for them to use, helps them and they keep using it yet they keep canning it.

Personally I think this site over the last 13 years has helped to keep more recreational aviators safer, even has been proven to have saved lives plus brought the recreational aviation community together more than any other resource or institution 24hrs a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year and some people just don't see it...if you didn't laugh you would just click the big delete button and save your money

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

well, good point. So I just donated a lousy $10 (sorry, I'm not Dick Smith) and as a result, for the first time ever, I have a complaint: the whole process took many, many steps. If you linked paypal instantly to your donate button, it would be easier. And you could put the donate button every screen so people don't have to go looking for it.

I agree the site is fantastic and helps keep us RAAus pilots safer. Thank you!

• Like 3

Thanks Cooper place, I will change the donate to go to PayPal...it is just that PayPal takes a big % compared to the Clear Prop Shop which doesn't incur any fees if a bank transfer is used. The bank takes 2% if credit card is used...thanks for the comment.

If Dick Smith would like to throw $30k this way I could get the whole industry aviation expo up and running here for everyone

• Like 2

Dick is looking for suggestions; he's just posted this on pprune:

Dick Smith donates the proceeds of his Cessna CJ3 Citation to charity. - Page 2 - PPRuNe Forums

"By the way, there are still four more small aerodromes to donate $5,000 each to. I think I will give the next $5,000 to Lilydale. Can anyone else come up with some suggestions for small aerodromes that could do with some extra dough to help them to improve participation and safety?"

IF anyone has a suggestion, maybe post it on pprune.

• Like 2

He could slide some to this site...heck there is even a donation button to make it easy for him 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Ian,. . .we need another forum button, named 'Optimistic in the extreme'

I like the donations from DS, but, HEY ! I'm still waiting for a reply to my 'Sorry Dick, it doesn't work' card sent to the Richmond, Melbourne branch in 1973 for a frequency counter kit I bought. . . . . it just read 000.000.00 no matter what you plugged into the bugger. . . .I dunno. . .he must've been spending too much time flying around the dog fence making TV shows to worry about my complaint. . . .

• Haha 2

There are numerous philanthropic sites out there.

It's just a matter of identifying them and placing a good case for their support.

Most are very supportive of program's involving young people.

Any site - including a Forum - should be able to put a case for youth, youth communication and steering program's to get young peope engaged.

Mmmm 045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif

• Like 2

Please remember us guys in the West.

We have are created a privately funded ALA in are now building an Air Park.

Our first hangar accommodation unit has passed through the shire and is about to begin construction. The next 6 are being submitted for planning and building approval.

Watch this space...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Philanthropic sites seem to accept submissions from groups that are very focused on youth, disadvantaged, education and training. You just need to see who they hand money out too to see this.

I've always thought scholarships for young Aviators would be good to get into some philanthropic dollars into smaller clubs and airports.

I don't think there's much chance of getting money for clubroom upgrades, bar extensions or club aircraft for general use.