fly_tornado

Can't turn, Can't climb, Can't run: F35 problems

7 hours ago, M61A1 said:

In any case, why would anyone fly in an electrical storm unless they really had to?

The first initative comes from the attacker. They will decide the enemy's weaknesses and act accordingly and probably NOT in the best interests of the defender.

Why do defence policy makers always think THEY are the ones who are going to decide how they are going to be attacked.

One basic way to overcome a very high tech, high maintenance, very low volume aircraft is through overwhelming numbers.

2 hours ago, Marty_d said:

Because a polite request to the enemy to please wait for sunnier weather may not always work?

And that would mean you really had to ......right?

I don't know if you are aware, but for some time  now, our defence force has been really risk averse. So, training flights and demo flights in poor weather would be a no-go. Especially demo flights as the added maintenance burden due to erosion and such is quite high. The same was the case with our F111s.

1 hour ago, Downunder said:

The first initative comes from the attacker. They will decide the enemy's weaknesses and act accordingly and probably NOT in the best interests of the defender.

See above...comes under "really had to".

In any case, I'm not defending the aircraft, only time will tell if it works out for us. We always get naysayers every time we get a new type. When we got Blackhawks, they weren't right because they weren't Hueys. There was a huge amount of negativity when we got F111s, then everyone whinged that they were irreplaceable when they were retired.  Some reckon we should have AH64s instead of Tigers, but our Tigers outperformed the AH-64s in their last major exercise.

It bothers me that most western military hardware is technically brilliant but is not tolerant of damage, but I don't get to make the decision about what we get.

1 hour ago, M61A1 said:

but for some time  now, our defence force has been really risk averse.

Yes, so adverse they can't march in a pre dawn anzac day parade...... too risky ...lol.

But never fear, school children and veteran pensioners will fill in for them..

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-10/no-dawn-service-for-navy-because-too-risky-in-the-dark/10989934

Maybe it's time to just put Australia up for sale to the highest bidder, cause sure as hell we're open for all takers.. 

It is already up for sale. Foreign countries are buying us up at a great rate. No need for military force, just attack with a chequebook.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Downunder said:

Yes, so adverse they can't march in a pre dawn anzac day parade...... too risky ...lol.

But never fear, school children and veteran pensioners will fill in for them..

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-10/no-dawn-service-for-navy-because-too-risky-in-the-dark/10989934

Maybe it's time to just put Australia up for sale to the highest bidder, cause sure as hell we're open for all takers.. 

That's exactly what I'm talking about, and it's got worse since they adopted the civvy style OH&S, and especially since "equity and diversity". There have been a few reports scathing of defence when someone was injured, usually while doing the wrong thing.

They just use their 5 x 5 risk assessment matrix, and rather than cop another blast from the ABC if something goes wrong, rather than offend a minority or risk a minor injury, they just won't do it.

From where I sit, it appears defence has become no better than a "special school", employing people because of their gender, race etc, rather than their competence.

edit: I just read the whole article, and saw who made the decision. point proved.

Edited by M61A1

9 hours ago, red750 said:

It is already up for sale. Foreign countries are buying us up at a great rate. No need for military force, just attack with a chequebook.

Despite recent Chinese investment in our farms, water, power systems and businesses, the Yanks and Brits own far more. 

Australia's balance of payments has always relied on foreign investment. 

Our economy would go down the gurgler without the continual inflow of foreign money- which is always balanced by the outflow of local equity. 

We import more than we export. Our way of life is propped up by selling off the farm, bit by bit.

What government would be game to tell us to rein in our lifestyle a bit in order to pay off our debts? Political suicide.

I guess the defence theory then relies on the brits and yank willing to fight for THEIR assets....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Downunder said:

its more about ex-ADF people finding no market for their skills in the civilian job market and deciding that claiming compo is a lot better than the dole. It only takes a few months for word to get around that someone got a big payout because they tripped over in the dark.

27 minutes ago, fly_tornado said:

its more about ex-ADF people finding no market for their skills in the civilian job market and deciding that claiming compo is a lot better than the dole. It only takes a few months for word to get around that someone got a big payout because they tripped over in the dark.

What it really comes down to is that management doesn’t want to end up in court because they didn’t do everything possible to protect their employees from themselves. 

26 minutes ago, fly_tornado said:

its more about ex-ADF people finding no market for their skills in the civilian job market ...

I can never understand the disturbing fact that so many of our service people end up unable to get a job.

i would have thought that employers would be attracted by the skills and discipline they pick up in the ADF.

3 minutes ago, Old Koreelah said:

I can never understand the disturbing fact that so many of our service people end up unable to get a job.

i would have thought that employers would be attracted by the skills and discipline they pick up in the ADF.

From my perspective as an ex service person there are many who are virtually unemployable outside in the real world. They can usually read instructions and apply them to a degree, as anything that can be left to interpretation will be. They are generally better of where the can just do what they are told and do it with a bottomless bucket of other people’s money. 

I know many maintainers, but I would I allow a small handful near my own aircraft. 

• Informative 1

My brother left the RAAF after a long stint and immediately got work around our small home town.

He had picked up several trades in the RAAF and applied them to quite a few different fields, including farm management, forestry, machinery maintenance, fencing, and local government. Interestingly, he has no interest in aeroplanes.

From my knowledge of friends, the services pretty much treat personnel as assets to be used,abused and desposed of when faulty. 

Not exactly known for a caring attitude to rehabilitation or treatment esp after leaving the service.

I doubt the worry of a few claims- which are normally buried under paperwork is the real reason.

In practice defence just ignores claims, hides problems and wait for the injured to give up or die.

They effectively are a law unto themselves.

• Like 1