LOST PROPERTY - MAKES YOU WONDER. . .

Phil Perry

Bulk email recieved from a local aviator. . . 'HAS ANYONE SEEN ONE OF THESE ?'

673550962_FUELCAP.jpg.2db05c598c288fb18d41f11eb159c0cf.jpg

The original email didn't mention where it may have been lost,. . . but it was forwarded to several airfields within the range of the type,. . . .the mind boggles at how this guy didn't notice this missing, 1) Pre-original walk round checks,. . .2) AT SUBSEQUENT walk round checks at multiple sites. . . . Aircraft is a Rans S5 single seat Microlight.

Looks like it belongs to a pirate. Nev

Oooh Arrr, Nev Lad. . . . . . I think I know who the tit is,. . .although the appliance is owned by a four person syndicate. . . I will find out tomorrow morning as I have just been elected as 'Safety Officer' for another term. . after a break of eight years. . . .The other 'occupants' of said 'office' oversaw ( or rather, didn't ) many examples of utter stupidity. The Big Bad CAA have given us the authority to act as a proxy, in terms of preventing pilots from departing, if we feel that this is not conducive to safety. . . NO, I don't like the big stick either,. . but it's better than being sued, if you have Big Brother behind you. I am SICK TO DEATH of hearing post accident stories which went like 'We knew that bloke was an accident waiting to happen - but WE DIDN'T LIKE TO SAY ANYTHING. . .' BOLLOX !

That ends tomorrow. . . . far too much 'Mateship' has been ocurring at our site. . . things which should have been highlighted, things which should have been said. . .were not. . .not even friendly advice. . .'Political correctness ?'. . .I don't know and I don't care either. There are two specific aircraft operators at that field whom I want gone. . . . They are a danger to themselves and anyone with whom they convince to fly with them. A sorry situation I think. Too many people tend to 'Pussyfoot' around and don't say what needs saying. We have lost two Club Members in avoidable FATAL incidents over the past six years, with one 'Possible' in French airspace. . .( flying in reported thunderstorm condx. ) The two local miscreants are both very wealthy men, one of them is 77 years old, and is, frankly 'Past it' can't fly a proper circuit and doesn't seem to give a $h1t. . .neither of them will use nor even MONITOR our airfield radio. . . and the Club Committee has been 'Frightened' ( my words) to confront them for fear of upsetting them, and moreover, losing their hangar rent and airfield fees. . . .Bugger that for a game of bloody soldiers. . .

OK, Rant over. Back to Mr. Nice phil again. . . eeeee in't the weather nice for the time of year. . .?

Now,. . .where's my SS uniform and what has meinen Frau done with meinen bloody Luger. . . . .

• Haha 2

This having a go at people who stretch the safety limits is a problem. Most don't want to know and some get abusive. I recently had a few words to say abut running an airshow too close to last light, where pilots could just make it home, but with no safety margin. I was told run it late so pilots stay overnight and spend money. It is their call if they leave too late for safety.

I am not sure what I will say if an accident (act of stupidity) happens, but it is not going to be complementary.

Returning from an airshow in the past I arrived home and about 20 mins before last light found a powered parachute de rigging in the middle of the strip. I had beaten him in but othere may not have been so lucky.

• Like 1

The two local miscreants are both very wealthy men, one of them is 77 years old, and is, frankly 'Past it' can't fly a proper circuit and doesn't seem to give a $h1t. . .neither of them will use nor even MONITOR our airfield radio. .

Tread carefully Phil, or they may write you out of their will.....

• Like 1

Tread carefully Phil, or they may write you out of their will.....

Oh Carp. . . .I never thought of that. . . . .Dyer reckon I ought to be a bit less. . .Aggressive ? ?

Prior to welding up their hangar doors ? ? ?

We have a constanat barrage of folks wanting hangarage at our Airfield, a multi-directional site,. . well managed, . . .grass cut magically by volunteers. . .very reasonable rates . . . . I really don't think we will have a problem replacing a couple of F witts. . . . .we might even give them a few more years of life. . . .if they buy a caravan, or a tent or summat,. .. but stop trying to be pilots. . . .

This having a go at people who stretch the safety limits is a problem. Most don't want to know and some get abusive. I recently had a few words to say abut running an airshow too close to last light, where pilots could just make it home, but with no safety margin. I was told run it late so pilots stay overnight and spend money. It is their call if they leave too late for safety.I am not sure what I will say if an accident (act of stupidity) happens, but it is not going to be complementary.

Returning from an airshow in the past I arrived home and about 20 mins before last light found a powered parachute de rigging in the middle of the strip. I had beaten him in but othere may not have been so lucky.

Was on 'Safety Officer' duty this morning at 0830, ( Jeeze ! on a SUNDAY ?. . at MY age ? ) Not only this, Radio duty officer Nige, got ratarsed last night at Wifey's Christmas 'DO' and called in 'Sick'. . so I had to do THAT as well.

I feel very 'Smuggy' that I predicted the identity of the individual share holder in the Rans S5 who 'Misplaced' his fuel cap. . . ( Mentioned earlier in this thread ) He had visited Four small sites within a 20 NM range of our place, and had no idea where he could have left the fuel cap. . . I'm amazed that aerodynamics didn't suck a lot of fuel out of that wing the way it does on other aircraft. . . I've spoken to the other three members of the syndicate and asked them to 'Have a Serious Word' with the chap. I will leave it at that for the time being.

New bloke turned up today, . . .apparently moved into the site along with his 912 Trike, some time last week. . .I'd never met him before, recently qualified elsewhere and moved Oop North to our area for work. I asked him if he was aware of all our procedures, and he said 'Oh Yes. . .I was speaking to one of your committee the other day about it. . .'

He then proceeded to depart with no radio, turned onto an active runway whilst the CFI and a very NEW student were on mid-final. . and performed a Right hand circuit, on a left hand runway. . .

He buggered off for around an hour before I could have a 'Word'. . he then proceeded to carry out a right hand circuit on a left hand runway. . ..the CFI took him into the office and you could hear the invective in the next building.

We have a website, . .nothing fancy, but it Does have a series of 'Circuit Diagrams' which were produced many years ago, showing the manner in which we wanted pilots to operate. . .

He didn't know about that either. We, or rather I, made up those diagrams shortly after I started the site in 1992. . .they are very basic, but we still use them. We scaled the overhead join down to 1000 ft overhead, and circuits at 500 feet ( or less ) for the early microlight aircraft which were around at the time. . .it's a very small site, so we thought that this was neccessary. .

.Most microlight flyers back then were as thick as two short planks, no training in 'Airfield Etiquet' of any kind. . . so it was no use copying 'Proper' airfield directory diagrams. . . as these don't tell you how to use them. . .they just 'Assume' that you know ! ! !

( The OLD bloke with the fancy 912S Trike didn't show up today. . . so I couldn't 'have a go' at the rich old sod. . . . he'll keep. . .)

Have a look at the site, the 'Approach and landing' sketches are in the 'Visiting / weather' section of the site in windows .PDF form. . . Phil's 'Corel Draw 9' artwork at it's best ( ! )

othertonairfield.co.uk

Otherton 25L approach V7.pdf

07R Approach

Phil. You asked and he said yes. Maybe you should then have quizzed him and found out what he really knew.

I find it is useless asking if someone knows whatever, I have to question them otherwise they just let me think all is well. On the other side of the coin I find a lot of people assume I know something and when I explain that I don't they are surprised. If you look as if you know something others will accept that as a truth.

Phil. You asked and he said yes. Maybe you should then have quizzed him and found out what he really knew.I find it is useless asking if someone knows whatever, I have to question them otherwise they just let me think all is well. On the other side of the coin I find a lot of people assume I know something and when I explain that I don't they are surprised. If you look as if you know something others will accept that as a truth.

You're right of course Yenn. . . I'm definitely a bit 'rusty' dealing with these young bucks mate ! On checking the Club records yesterday, it's actually been TEN years since I last held the brief, not eight. . . The lad left hurriedly after his encounter with God, tail firmly retracted apparently, I shall have a word with him next weekend if he fronts up. He has been told to study the airfield standing order book and circuit plans for a re-brief with CFI before he flies again. Boss says that he HAS a radio setup, just couldn't be bothered rigging it, he said that the airfield didn't look 'Busy' enough to warrant.

I don't believe that he is a smartarse, just a young, uber enthusiastic newbie. . .

I have suggested reinstating an earlier ruling, that ALL pilots moving to use the site as a base, must fly with an instructor for familiarisation with our odd shaped circuits. . . this procedure was dropped a few years ago for some odd reason. . .

• Like 1
  • More 1

Bulk email recieved from a local aviator. . . 'HAS ANYONE SEEN ONE OF THESE ?'[ATTACH=full]47208[/ATTACH]

The original email didn't mention where it may have been lost,. . . but it was forwarded to several airfields within the range of the type,. . . .the mind boggles at how this guy didn't notice this missing, 1) Pre-original walk round checks,. . .2) AT SUBSEQUENT walk round checks at multiple sites. . . . Aircraft is a Rans S5 single seat Microlight.

Tell him Phil

Yep I saw one

In the photo

• Agree 1

Have a look at the site, the 'Approach and landing' sketches are in the 'Visiting / weather' section of the site in windows .PDF form. . . Phil's 'Corel Draw 9' artwork at it's best ( ! )

othertonairfield.co.uk

07R Approach

Hi Phil

that is brilliant little site you have there! I really like the airfield too, more runways than Heathrow. You really brought home one of the problems with the ultra light scene, which is its origin in small field operation. It seems that there are two ways to learn (here in France at least) one is to get your basic skills to get off the ground and then back safely and the other is to learn more or less how they teach the PPL. I am lucky and am learning more or less the PPL route, so airfield etiquette is a major part of what we learn, partly due the shared airfield and partly due to the instructors being all PPL trained. There are plenty of places that offer training that seems to end when you do your first solo , but that wasn't for me, I need to have the discipline that my current club offers to feel safe in the air, especially as we operate under the flight path of a major airport.

• Like 2

It looks as if you've found a good place to learn there Monseiur Morton mon ami. . . France is a terrific country to fly around, I began my love of the place around 1983, with my first flight across the ditch from Headcorn to the Pas de Calais, then on around the coast to Granville, adjacent to the Channel Islands. Great 2 days out, lovely people, great scenery, great food ( Tres important pour le grande gourmet ) Amusing ATC exchanges ( ! ) my Franglais seemed to go down well ! ! First thing I found out was to stay properly Piste. . . .ie, land in the centre of the runways . . .

Little back street guest houses very cheap, and back street 'family' restaurants with their standard 'Badge' of chequered tablecloths, denoting a place where the 'Locals' went to eat, usually a bit cheaper. Then on to La Rochelle, terrific seafood in what looked like an old Norman harbour cafe. . . I really didn't want to go home.

We started a sort of convoy club a year or so later, with several aircraft travelling in a gaggle, and Maria, my French teacher friend as a useful conduit in the right hand seat to negotiate with atc. . . had many brilliant tours there. I developed quite a few new friends in the country, and several friends have retired there.

Referring to the circuit drawings,. . .sorry they look a little bit 'Noddy in Toytown, but in our early days, not a single one of the pilots had ever been taught anything about overhead joins during their ( Mainly Trike ) training, let alone the 'Standard' one for GA airfields, so it was an interesting learning curve for them. At the beginning, I was the only GA pilot, and used my formidable voice and presence to scare the carp out of anyone who pi$$ed around. We were one of the earliest 'Pure Microlight' sites to adopt an air / ground radio base also, and chivvy as many people as possible to fit a radio, running R/T courses on site for 20 years or so.

Anyway Sir, keep us informed on the progress of your training, and maybe later, you can nip over 21 miles of la Mer - - First time - with your bum oscillating 'Half a crown - Sixpence' all the way over the wet stuff and then fight your way Over / Under / Through all the bloody controlled airspace between the Sarf Coast and Otherton ! ( Camping encouraged, we've got proper facilities too, but the Ladies loo smells the best )

Phil.

• Like 1

Short update on 'safety stuff' Both flying instructors at our site have volunteered their time free of charge, to fly with pilots in their own aircraft, should any of them feel unsure of procedures in force. They have also agreed to do this for any pilot wishing to use us as a base of operations - with only a fuel charge, if carried out in a School aircraft. Superb gesture In my view.

The Airfield MD ( Management company ) who is himself Ex-airline and a CAA aircrew examiner, has returned from a couple of months business in the States, and received a mail from the CFI about certain recent events and has added some of his own observations to the mix. He is sending a bulk mail to all flying members asking them to attend the next Club meeting for a 'Safety refresher' talk, and powerpoint presentation, mainly aimed at 'Newish' flying members, but would like ALL users to attend. . . In deference to the Christmas holiday period. . .the next main meeting isn't until the First Thursday in February, so that should allow time for any 'Slipped' paperwork to be brought up to date. . .

I can imagine what some of the guys are going to say about this. . .'Look what that ugly Git Perry has stirred up now. . .' ( I dindu nuffin ! ) He has noted that several of the aircraft hangared on the site have not moved into the daylight this year AT ALL, and others not for several months, which Could mean that certain owners are out of licence currency and therefore cannot legally fly.

He has asked for all logbooks and certificates of currency to be presented for inspection, he has the right to do this, in the articles of association which underscore the operational aspects of the airfield, to which every flying member of the 'Club' is a signatory. His company holds all the site insurance and it is therefore wholly responsible in law; in the event of any serious incident taking place.

Wonder how many Christmas cards I'll get this time. . .

>

I can imagine what some of the guys are going to say about this. . .'Look what that ugly Git Perry has stirred up now. . .' Wonder how many Christmas cards I'll get this time. . .>

Hard to say, but I think you'll be right for coal through next Winter.

• Haha 4

Hard to say, but I think you'll be right for coal through next Winter.

**Giggle** You may larf, but, since I took on this post, I have had requests this afternoon from eleven people, who would like to know if they can get a logbook stamp, for currency. If you hvve not flown for three months in the UK, you need a 'Self certification' flight, ie, 3 take offs and landings to a full stop, Prior to carrying passengers.. . this used to require a logbook stamp and I 'Used' to be able to do this, but I am also out of currency for stamping books AND regs have changed now, so I am waiting for a response from the BMAA and the LAA to see what needs to be carried out, since our pilots are half and half, roughly, between theBritish Mocrolight Aircraft Association, and the Light Aircraft Association. . .

I was only allowed to sort the BMAA ones as a GR examiner ( ground examiner for logbook stamps ) ten years ago,. . . Everything has gorn maaaad and changed, with EASA rules ( European Legislation ) and I am reading thru reams of Bull$hitspeak at the moment, to see if I can sign off ANYONE. . . without actually taking an examination myselfthe complexer the better it seems. . (.or maybe I'm just being sinikal again. . .) to do this. . . .EU paper warfare, . . .they Lurve paper warfare. . . .Euro regs increase, whilst CAA ones reduce, particularly with regard to medical requirements. . . but to get a 'Self Declaration' medical approval from the CAA online site,. . .you MUST use 'Internet Explorer' on your device,. . .none of the other browsers will allow you to operate the 'Buttons' on the CAA website. . . . I'll bet Daedelus never thought anything of this as he watched his beloved Son fall to Earth after flying too close to old Sol. . . . . ( Silly bugger should have read the altitude regs. . . . )

• Like 1

. . . Everything has gorn maaaad and changed, with EASA rules ( European Legislation ) and I am reading thru reams of Bull$hitspeak at the moment, to see if I can sign off ANYONE. . . without actually taking an examination myselfthe complexer the better it seems. . (.or maybe I'm just being sinikal again. . .) to do this. . . .EU paper warfare, . . .they Lurve paper warfare. . . .Euro regs increase, whilst CAA ones reduce, particularly with regard to medical requirements. . .

You'll be right mate - Brexit to the rescue!001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

-Mike

• Helpful 1

You'll be right mate - Brexit to the rescue!001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif-Mike

Thanks for that Sir Kite,. . . by the time we finally get out of that mess, I'll be well past it myself, probably dribbling soup over my laptop in a care home somewhere. . .

Short update on 'safety stuff' Both flying instructors at our site have volunteered their time free of charge, to fly with pilots in their own aircraft, should any of them feel unsure of procedures in force. They have also agreed to do this for any pilot wishing to use us as a base of operations - with only a fuel charge, if carried out in a School aircraft. Superb gesture In my view.The Airfield MD ( Management company ) who is himself Ex-airline and a CAA aircrew examiner, has returned from a couple of months business in the States, and received a mail from the CFI about certain recent events and has added some of his own observations to the mix. He is sending a bulk mail to all flying members asking them to attend the next Club meeting for a 'Safety refresher' talk, and powerpoint presentation, mainly aimed at 'Newish' flying members, but would like ALL users to attend. . . In deference to the Christmas holiday period. . .the next main meeting isn't until the First Thursday in February, so that should allow time for any 'Slipped' paperwork to be brought up to date. . .

I can imagine what some of the guys are going to say about this. . .'Look what that ugly Git Perry has stirred up now. . .' ( I dindu nuffin ! ) He has noted that several of the aircraft hangared on the site have not moved into the daylight this year AT ALL, and others not for several months, which Could mean that certain owners are out of licence currency and therefore cannot legally fly.

He has asked for all logbooks and certificates of currency to be presented for inspection, he has the right to do this, in the articles of association which underscore the operational aspects of the airfield, to which every flying member of the 'Club' is a signatory. His company holds all the site insurance and it is therefore wholly responsible in law; in the event of any serious incident taking place.

Wonder how many Christmas cards I'll get this time. . .

>

La boite de Pandora....and at your age too!!!...that'll larn ya!!!.........)

• Like 1