Headset Recommendation

Hi guys, birthday coming up so I was thinking getting myself my first headset! Don't want to spend too much money, around $300 although I could be persuaded to buy something more expensve. Currently flying a Jabiru around about 40hrs per year. Ohhh btw, a bose a20 is out of the equation at this stage of my flying career :)

I love my David Clarke 13.4s, if you keep your eye on gumtree you will pick up a set for less than $200. Just plug them in, no batteries, no Bluetooth distractions and in comparison bits are cheap and very durable. I also have have Lightspeed Zulu 2s which are good with plenty of features but are not cheap.

• Agree 2
  • Helpful 1

Have a look at the Yueny Range.

ANR for around the $350 mark, Not as good as Bose, but 100 times better than any passive set. and the best thing is. once you turn the radio off or remove the plugs from the jacks. they automatically turn themselves off.

• Like 1

Must say though I have the bose. I fly a 2 stroke pusher and the iphone siri still works and when I ring someone they can't even tell im flying and im told the radio calls are 5/5 (no engine noise). Good INVESTMENT.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Caution 1

Why waste your money on David Clark when you can get the exact copy and then improved version for a hell of a lot cheaper...the Recreational Flying headset, the same as the DC but 2db better, gold plated plugs etc, they are in the Recreational Flying Shop

• Like 3

Wow... so many options and choices. Thanks for the feedback guys.

The recreational flying headset for $150 looks pretty good. Anyone else have experience with this headset? I guess I'll see where the aviation bug takes me before I spend too much money on headset like a bose a20.

Why waste your money on David Clark when you can get the exact copy and then improved version for a hell of a lot cheaper...the Recreational Flying headset, the same as the DC but 2db better, gold plated plugs etc, they are in the Recreational Flying Shop

I didn't know that. I retract my DC vote. I might need a second affordable headset if anybody wants a ride while I am in Oz.

If you can up what your willing to pay to about the $500 mark you could get a decent second hand Bose x set. The audio performance isn't too far off the A20, you just don't get all the gadgets like Bluetooth. You get a very good, durable headset at an affordable price. For most applications ANR is well and truly better than a passive set, just make sure you have spare batteries with you.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

There really is a reason the professionals choose Bose, and it's because they are just that good. Your headset really is an investment, if you lose your hearing then you will lose your medical. It really was the best $1300 I have ever spent in aviation. If you can find someone who has a Bose set and borrow it for a flight you will understand what I mean.

• Like 1

There really is a reason the professionals choose Bose, and it's because they are just that good. Your headset really is an investment, if you lose your hearing then you will lose your medical.

Not just Bose but lightspeed as well, about 50/50 ild say. I've had both, both great brands and personal preferences will be a deciding factor. Surprisingly my current company (all turbine) there seems to be a resurgence of the DC's!

RJW go and buy a good set of second hand Bose or lightspeed, anything else you will be later disappointed and upgrade anyway at a greater cost.

I am tempted to buy a cheap headset for a year or so before upgrading to a more expensive one. The cheaper one I could you when taking passengers.

That's what I did - a cheapie Altronics, then later a Lightspeed - the Altronics now used for pax. After the Lightspeed, I could never go back ...

• Like 1

If you really want an ANR headset and don't have the money to pay normal retail for one then the Recreational Flying Pilot Supply shop as 3 different ANR's that can be done at a very special price...note there is only 1 of each of these at these prices and they are not even listed in the store so you have to email me if you want one...

Pilot Communications ANR6000 $275

Flightcom Ventura V50ANR $349.95 Flightcom Ventura V50ANR

Flightcom Denali Blue $395

Telex Stratus 30 ANR $495 (normally up to $1,000 in Australian dollars (in fact I can show you the distributors normal invoice of $900 + gst)

For a passive headset, as I mentioned, the Recreational Flying 250 headset

The above are the absolute best deals on headsets around today.

• Helpful 1
  • Caution 1

I have 2 pairs of Rec Flying 250 headsets and as a passive headset they are better than the Avcomm 400s I used to have and as good if not better that DC passive headsets. The insulation & gel seals seem to work better & reduce engine & prop noise well. You can get 2 pairs for less than the price of 1 DC.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Helpful 1

But you can get more DC headsets second hand 074_stirrer.gif.5dad7b21c959cf11ea13e4267b2e9bc0.gif. Depends on whether you put a $ value one someone else's cooties

Without warranty so might end up costing you more...can you get a DC headset for $150 with warranty besides the DC's are 2db noisier so why would you want to

I had a pair of Bose in my CT and yes they are light but I found if I was chewing a peppermint or just at the odd times if I moved my mouth (I have dentures) the air seal would break and I would get a loud "honk" sound...very annoying. For my next aircraft I got a pair of the more expensive Telex Status Digital and whilst they were heavier and bulkier than the Bose, the sound in them was just so incredible compared to the Bose for me, it was like going from mono to HiFi and listening to a symphony. But as I said they were more expensive than the Bose.

The problem with headsets are they are so personal I believe and you can't find a shop with every one of them to go in and try out what feels the best for you. A lot of people like the Bose, I don't, a lot of people like the Light speed, I can tell you many people who have had to get rid of them, the DC's have been known for many years but they are expensive compared to what you get because you are just paying for the name...it is a hard choice and no easily predefined right or wrong one answers because everyone has different shaped heads, ears and different hearing capabilities

• Like 1