Drifter 25-313 is it still flying?

Jim188

Hi All,

Great to see people still love the Drifter, many years ago I learnt to fly in an AustFlight Drifter.

Then I brought my own Drifter and had some great flying in it until my wife said, it's about time we got something so I don't feel little a dog in the back of a Ute on longer flights.

I then moved into the GA world for a time and then gave away flying for many years until now.

I sold my drifter to someone unknown, it's rego was 25-313. I am just wondering and hoping it's still flying and giving someone hours of fun like it had for me as the second owner.

Cheer to All.

Drifter Pilots are some of the best around.

• Like 2

I sold my drifter to someone unknown, it's rego was 25-313. I am just wondering and hoping it's still flying and giving someone hours of fun like it had for me as the second owner..

G`Day Jim! I`ve done a search for you ( Copy and Paste from RA-Aus register)! 25-313 is missing.

25-0312 Austflight ULA Drifter A-503 6/27/1989 F

25-0316 Austflight ULA Drifter A-503 6/27/1989 F

RA-Aus may be able to help.

Phone: 02 6280 4700

[email protected]

Frank.

G`Day Jim! I`ve done a search for you ( Copy and Paste from RA-Aus register)! 25-313 is missing.25-0312 Austflight ULA Drifter A-503 6/27/1989 F

25-0316 Austflight ULA Drifter A-503 6/27/1989 F

RA-Aus may be able to help.

Phone: 02 6280 4700

[email protected]

Frank.

Thanks Frank,

I did a bit of a search a little time back and found an RA-AUS spreadsheet file on-line that was a few years old with 25- aircraft registrations.

If I remember correctly 25-313 had been non registered for year or so at that time. So I am thinking it maybe sitting in someones farm shed, just wanting to fly again like me.

I have not contact RA-Aus, as I was not sure how they felt about handing out past or current aircraft owners details, after I heard RA-Aus has strong feelings about not giving Av-Data any aircraft or ownership details.

.But thank you Frank for your time, as you have enthused me to contact RA-Aus in this new year.

Happy New Year with many hours aloft

Jim188

• Informative 1

I did a bit of a search a little time back and found an RA-AUS spreadsheet file on-line that was a few years old with 25- aircraft registrations. Jim188

Jim, If you are on facebook, put out a call on the Drifter Aircraft Appreciation Society Drifter aircraft appreciation society public group | Facebook , if not you`re not, I can do it for you, if you`d like.

Frank.

• Helpful 1

Jim, If you are on facebook, put out a call on the Drifter Aircraft Appreciation Society Drifter aircraft appreciation society public group | Facebook , if not you`re not, I can do it for you, if you`d like.Frank.

Hi Frank,

I really don't know much about face book, except it seems people either love it or hate it.

But if you could put the word out that would be appreciated.

Cheers

Jim188

But if you could put the word out that would be appreciated.Cheers Jim188

I`ve just done it! This is what I posted.....I`ll let you know if anyone answers!

G`Day Guys! Does anyone know if Drifter, Reg No 25-0313 is still around! I`m asking on behalf of the guy who was the second owner, sold it years ago and now would like to know if it`s still out there somewhere...Any information on it will be greatly appreciated.

hi jim , looking for your old drifter eh! want to have another go with the pliers again, eh!

Revsmith,

What a surprise you have given me to read your few words and the memories that came flooding back from so many years ago.

Was I right to think we have found a past 313 Drifter owner, how else could you have heard this tale, unless it was from the history log of this great little aircraft.

It was such an embarrassing thing you talk about, only a select few ever heard the story, but the lesson I got from this stood me in great stead, even to this day, in and outside the world of aviation.

So who are you Revsmith in real life?, I guess some here may already know this or are you just a gun slinger from another world.

Cheers

Jim188

• Like 1

Thanks Frank for doing the Facebook thing.

You know Frank, I just had a look in my AUF log book to find it's been just over 30 years since my first solo flight in an Austflight Drifter. It was owned by Steve and Toby Robinson who trailed it around the stations and mulga ridges of Western Queensland displaying the drifter as the perfect mustering aircraft, it was, but the motor was not at the time.

Must go work to do, but again thank you.

Cheers

Jim188

• Informative 1

Hi Frank,

The motor was a Rotax 503, single carby and single ignition.

In those early days, everyone was really experimenting and leaning what these snowmobile motors were going to be like.

One thing I do remember even out in the bush, Bert and Jim's service and support was up there, even thought it was a big leaning curve for everyone involved. As some bigger hours where starting to be put on the odd drifter mustering, they started to find issues like exhaust spring wearing and then the ends breaking off and spring going through the prop.

The odd gear box and crank shaft turned out at times not to be up to the job, the owner of the Drifter I did my first solo in, often was just waiting for their next plug to fowl and cause another engine failure. This had more to do with the 2 stroke oil that was being recommend at time.

Yet five years later, when I got my Drifter, everyone was using different 2 stroke oil and those other smaller bugs had been sorted out, like safety wiring a few things on, little better spark plug caps, better understanding about 2 stroke oils, jetting and needles .

Everyone had a lot more hours on drifters out mustering, but also clocking up many hours doing training, so the known reliability was growing better for every hour flown.

My 503 single carby and single ignition motor had me in the air for a 100 plus hours a year and never cause me any problems, expect for the odd time when it was more human induced than anything else.

Getting back to 25-313, I should let people know RevSmith turned out to be an old flying mate from many years ago, so the story of the owners or where Drifter 25-313 has ended up is still to be told.

Cheers

Jim188

• Winner 1

Hi Frank,The motor was a Rotax 503, single carby and single ignition. In those early days, everyone was really experimenting and leaning what these snowmobile motors were going to be like. Jim188

Jim, Reading your post reminded me of " The Good Old,Bad Old Days!" That was the type of engine I started instructing with! B type reduction box and a two blade wooden prop!

My WB Drifter, 25-182, was one of Austflight`s early trainers....When I was President of the Far North Queensland Ultralight Association, ( mid 1980 ) I decided we needed an AC to train our members if we were going to be a club of fliers.... I made a strip here on our property, a few of us members put some money together and Austflight delivered 25-182, by trailer to here, all we needed now was an instructor, I put my hand up, jumped all the hoops and away we went!

it was a big leaning curve for everyone involved. As some bigger hours where starting to be put on the odd drifter mustering, they started to find issues like exhaust spring wearing and then the ends breaking off and spring going through the prop.

It sure was a big learning curve!!! On the first 503, I had to design a muffler attachment that would stop the muffler from developing cracks and also for the fuel pump attachment that kept breaking off....Success on both....Finally the engine destroyed itself by breaking the crankshaft...One of our club members who had achieved his AUF certificate, was flying it that day and put it down successfully, under power lines and over a fence, into a cow paddock, without any damage to himself or the AC.

Yet five years later, when I got my Drifter, everyone was using different 2 stroke oil and those other smaller bugs had been sorted out, like safety wiring a few things on, little better spark plug caps, better understanding about 2 stroke oils, jetting and needles .

My very first flight in an Ultralight,almost ended in disaster!.... I was asked, by a guy who had a home built, twin seat tandem ( Yes! Illegal at the time! ) if I wanted to go on a short costal x country with him! Of course I did!....The AC had a Robin Fuji 440 engine, hung upside down....At the very worst possible place it could have happened, the engine lost power and we were going to go into the approaching small mountain, fortunately, it didn`t stop and once the guy got the nose down enough and turned away from the hill, it kept enough power to get us to the beach and land safely...Csause?.....A stripped spark plug cap, allowing one plug lead to fall off....That day,I learnt a hell of lot, in a very short period of time.

After one Rotax 503, four grey head Rotax 582, on Drifter 25-182, I`m now back to the Rotax 503, DCDI, with an E type reduction box and a three blade, ground adjustable, Ivo prop! The engine has done over 600 hrs and never missed a beat, I almost trust it.

My first engine on the Ultralight I built was a Robin Fuji 440, hung upside down, that makes seven engines, hung upside down, that I`ve flown with...To this day, the spark plugs leads on each one of them, have always been secured in a way that they couldn`t come off!...Wouldn`t fly otherwise.

Frank.

Ps, Jim, I reckon you would have some great stories to tell...W`ll have to get together and write a couple of books...022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Seems to me one or two of you two-stroke experts might be able to help with a problem I have. My newly constructed Himax has a single carb, single ignition 503 - which had been in storage for many years. When I came to start it, I found that the only way I could get it started was to spray "Start ya Bastard" into the carb first. It would then start but refuses to idle and bogs down when the throttle is advanced. I have checked and reset the idle (and jet), checked the main jet, and the circlip on the jet needle is in the middle position. Carb floats seem to be ok, but something is clearly wrong. Any ideas? I did fit NGK BPR8Es plugs rather than the usual B8ES - gap .015 - to help counteract the upside-down engine installation.

• Informative 1

Seems to me one or two of you two-stroke experts might be able to help with a problem I have.

G`Day Microman! I recall a guy posting a couple of photos on here of a 503 that had been in storage for a number of years but I can`t recall who it was or where it was posted! Was it you?

Don`t know about experts on here!!!!.......It could be several things, without taking a look at it, I`m guessing but I`ll help if I can!.....How is the cylinder compression?

G`Day Microman! I recall a guy posting a couple of photos on here of a 503 that had been in storage for a number of years but I can`t recall who it was or where it was posted! Was it you?Don`t know about experts on here!!!!.......It could be several things, without taking a look at it, I`m guessing but I`ll help if I can!.....How is the cylinder compression?

Not me, but I'm hoping that even though the 503 has been in storage for some time it will still be ok - my experience of 503's has generally been very good - once you get the carb settings right! Judging by the amount of pull needed the compressions are fine.

Not me,.

Unless it`s obvious, finding a problem is a process of elimination.

If nothing in the carb has been changed, there isn`t much Carb setting required.....If you havn`t already done so,try starting it without the "Start Ya Bastard", turn it over sharply several times then remove the spark plugs and see if they are wet or dry...If they are wet, the spark may not be strong enough or it may be erratic...The Stator coil could have deteriorated....If the plugs are dry, it may be that there`s no fuel getting to them but you still need to determine that the spark is ok...Once you determine the spark is good then you need to be sure that all the passages in the carby are clear before doing anything else to the carby.

Jim, Reading your post reminded me of " The Good Old,Bad Old Days!" That was the type of engine I started instructing with! B type reduction box and a two blade wooden prop!Ps, Jim, I reckon you would have some great stories to tell...W`ll have to get together and write a couple of books...022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Frank, not sure about the book writing and I am sure there are just as many other guys around with great stories.

But Oh boy, all that stuff you talked about, it still was sitting around in the back of my mind, which I thought I had forgotten about.

Yep, those gear boxes and cranks, had everyone, me included, flying around just waiting for the bang.

I also welded up an early 503 exhaust several times, I tried beefing up the exhaust mounting plates each time thinking it can't crack now. It was not until I also redesign the mount to take the vibration that we stopped the cracking. My mounting was not so pretty compared to the later offering from Austflight, but it did the job.

Boy you remember everything Frank, those spark plug caps, yet another reason to make you feel the engine was about to stop when it started to miss from this, never stop our engine, but a lead did come off once. I learnt very fast to very gently damaging the thread on new spark plugs so when these caps were screwed up tight they would bind into damage thread area and never came loose.

What about those small rectangular impulse fuel pumps sitting right up against the side of the 503 block, one day this pump just started to cause grief to the owner of this early drifter.

We thought it must be from wear, so it was replaced with new. All was happy until a mild hot day out in the mulga and the motor stopped. Once back on the ground the fuel bowl was found full and the engine fired into life like a happy little beaver. Some more ground running, but nothing, so back into the air again and then after a while it stopped and back on the ground to find the bowl full. Back up in the air again, but this time as the motor start to died, the drifter was put into a climb so the prop stopped against the engine compression so not windmill gliding back down, this time little fuel was in the bowl.

So off came the fuel pump to be remounted away from the engine block so it had less heat and possible vaporization, this seemed to work. But it would have been better to also add an electric fuel pump, but at the time with this Drifter did not have any electrical or charging system, so this was not an option until a crude electrical rectifier came available from Austflight some time later that could also run some radios.

This early drifter had a pull start on the motor and you had a choke leveler on the carburetor. The choke and pull start had not found their way up to the pilot's seat at this stage

Cheers

Jim188

. This early drifter had a pull start on the motor and you had a choke leveler on the carburetor. The choke and pull start had not found their way up to the pilot's seat at this stage

Yep, Started there! then finally! Luxury!!! Pull start from the front seat and I made up a choke cable with the lever attached to the left side of the seat, near the throttle lever!.... Wasn`t until I purchased 25-182 from our club, to run my own flying school and onto the second 582 that I finally was able to go to the E type box with the electric starter motor....That same reduction box is on my current 503, it`s done over 3000 hrs and never given the slightest trouble.

Man! Have I got some stories! Maybe I`ll start a thread in the "Aviation Laughter" section!!!

Frank.

Oh man, Frank, look at your hours, look at your life long passion for ultralighting and drifters:plane:, you have to tell your story about flying Nth. Qld. style.

078_pc_revenge.gif.92f2d38a0e662b2e0b6cba4dc0ba5c35.gif .

Cheers.

Not me, but I'm hoping that even though the 503 has been in storage for some time it will still be ok - my experience of 503's has generally been very good - once you get the carb settings right! Judging by the amount of pull needed the compressions are fine.

. cdi or points?

pull start, you guys .had pull starts???, bob an I had to prop start ours and an outboard squeeze bulb primer. oh them were the days, aviation illiterate/ignorant, dono which, prob both, reinventing the wright bros, every flight an experiment , interspersed with moments of shear terror, heart stopping, pylon racin , guardian angels musta nearly went on strike , thankyou God they didn't, an then I met JIM.

• Winner 1

pull start, you guys .had pull starts???, an then I met JIM.

I love it, love it, love it, "an then I met JIM", and then????? drive.gif.1181dd90fe7c8032bdf2550324f37d56.gif

whats this squeeze primer bulb stuff, was't it your auxiliary fuel pump that just needed to be squeeze.....

boy, for year's they told us, you can't fly over 500 ft, then one day, some boffin tells us we can't fly under 500 ft,

So up over 500 ft , 111_oops.gif.41a64bb245dc25cbc7efb50b743e8a29.gif nose bleeds and back under 500 ft we wanted to go.

Look how much piloting skills did we learn getting around under 500ft and doing it all legal, can't do that today.

Oh.... I forgot something, it was a bit of a bugger for many, not being able to cross public roads.

Seems to me one or two of you two-stroke experts might be able to help with a problem I have. My newly constructed Himax has a single carb, single ignition 503 - which had been in storage for many years. When I came to start it, I found that the only way I could get it started was to spray "Start ya Bastard" into the carb first. It would then start but refuses to idle and bogs down when the throttle is advanced. I have checked and reset the idle (and jet), checked the main jet, and the circlip on the jet needle is in the middle position. Carb floats seem to be ok, but something is clearly wrong. Any ideas? I did fit NGK BPR8Es plugs rather than the usual B8ES - gap .015 - to help counteract the upside-down engine installation.

Try a pressure test. Crank seals go hard and leak after sitting around. Maybe try lubricating the seals externally and see if it gives any improvement.

https://www.duncanracing.com/TechCenter/2stk_presstest.pdf

• Agree 1