Hello from Sweden

Capillatus

Crickey, what's all that white stuff on the ground? It seems firm enough for your wheels to land on.

(I've just come in from working in nearly 40C heatwave.) How can you fly open cockpit in conditions like that?

Tough or just insane?

[

Hey all,I found this forum after I bought / imported my first ultralight a Thruster TST from 1987.Here is a short video from a test flight carried out today from my sloping 300m field:

G`Day ( Hi is OK, 020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif but G`Day or G`Day Mate, is the Ausi way )....022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif....Capillatus! 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif...

The Thruster and the Austflight WB Drifter, were the first two Ultralights to be certified to allow twin seat instruction in Australia... I`ve had my Drifter since 1988 and it was originally one of the early trainers, owned by Austflight Aviation for their flying school.

Regards,

Frank.

Hello Frank, I trained in Thrusters. Nice in the air, but I never could keep the damned things in line after touchdown. As a popular training aircraft, I suspect they were deliberately made that way. Tony Hayes used to tell me that if you can control a Thruster, you can fly anything...

Hey all,I found this forum after I bought / imported my first ultralight a Thruster TST from 1987

Here is a short video from a test flight carried out today from my sloping 300m field:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx09dQ6-e_s

Welcome Capillatus. Thanks for the video, a sight as alien to most Australians as the red desert would be to you.

Cheers, Des

Welcome Capillatus!That looks a bit chilly for an open cockpit...

Thanks!

It was only -8°C, so I just used my snowmobile clothing.

G`Day ( Hi is OK, 020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif but G`Day or G`Day Mate, is the Ausi way )....022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif....Capillatus! 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif...The Thruster and the Austflight WB Drifter, were the first two Ultralights to be certified to allow twin seat instruction in Australia... I`ve had my Drifter since 1988 and it was originally one of the early trainers, owned by Austflight Aviation for their flying school.

Regards,

Frank.

hehe thanks for the lesson!

Ahh, it's always fun to hear some history.

Hello Frank, I trained in Thrusters. Nice in the air, but I never could keep the damned things in line after touchdown. As a popular training aircraft, I suspect they were deliberately made that way. Tony Hayes used to tell me that if you can control a Thruster, you can fly anything...

Hello, I have heard others say that too but I have more trouble keeping the Jabiru UL 450 on the centerline.

Welcome Capillatus. Thanks for the video, a sight as alien to most Australians as the red desert would be to you.Cheers, Des

Thanks carrod01,

Normally we have at least 60-70 cm of snow, this time of year. But as seen in the video, we have barely 1cm so far this year.

Flew one just (Thruster 2 place) like yours when it was almost new. in the mid 80's. Your density altitude would be improved by the low temps. . I've flow a drifter at just above zero. degrees C.. I don't know how you keep the cold out. That strip is a pretty rough surface, by the looks of it.. Nev

Flew one just (Thruster 2 place) like yours when it was almost new. in the mid 80's. Your density altitude would be improved by the low temps. . I've flow a drifter at just above zero. degrees C.. I don't know how you keep the cold out. That strip is a pretty rough surface, by the looks of it.. Nev

We have only a few days that are warmer than 0°C from November to mid April. Which means that if you want to do something you must be able to dress for the cold. Forecasts show temperatures down to -30°C at the end of the week.

yep, that's not even a strip, it's just an old oat field that is not used anymore. However, I will fix the field during the summer

• Like 1

Welcome, I can understand your enthusiasm, but imagine it's short flights only at this time of year.

Thanks planedriver!

Nope, not directly shorter flights in the winter. You can land on all the frozen lakes and rivers without any floats which allows you to meet up with your snowmobile buddies!

But we have a wide variety of temperatures throughout the year, down to -30°C in winter and up to +30°C in the summer. Every season has of course its pros and cons.

• Like 1

Welcome Capillatus!That looks a bit chilly for an open cockpit...

The Swedes are used to to low temperatures mate. . . .Don't bother them much from what my Son in law tells me. . . .

Hi Capillatus,

Thanks for the nice video. Where are you located? I've got a Savannah at Kjula (ESSU) and would very much like to visit as many places as possible in Sweden, and in particular those with reliable ice thickness on the lakes during winter.