And they're off

rmorton

Well I have gone and done it now! Just ordered my Savannah S kit and options from Italy, just remains to pay for it and pick it up in a couple of weeks :) Just very slightly excited......

• Like 3
  • Winner 3

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I have gone and done it now! Just ordered my Savannah S kit and options from Italy, just remains to pay for it and pick it up in a couple of weeks :) Just very slightly excited......

Congratulations! As a Savannah S owner I can say without reservation that you will thoroughly enjoy both building and flying your Savvy!

Keep us updated with your progress...

Cheers,

Neil

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Hey, greatings to france.

I ordered my kit monday January 9.... so I can easily understand you excitement.

What options did you choose?

Perhaps you can shorten the waitingtime by preparing the garage and building a workbench... Still can't decide the right size???

• Like 1

Tha

Hey, greatings to france.I ordered my kit monday January 9.... so I can easily understand you excitement.

What options did you choose?

Perhaps you can shorten the waitingtime by preparing the garage and building a workbench... Still can't decide the right size???

Thank you, and congratulations on your order too. I have gone for the Kit 2 with, hooks to hang the plane from the roof, electric flaps, carpets, exhaust with cabin heat, straps for the parachute but the chute I will order later, Parking brake, adjustable pilot side seat.

I will source the engine separately and have an option on a 80 hp Rotax fully rebuilt, so hopefully that will work out.

How about you? Which options did you choose and what about delivery? I am currently struggling to fix a suitable date to go and collect it, hopefully the 25th or 26th.

I started clearing and preparing my garage in June and so far have managed to move the same pile of junk from one side of the garage to the other enough times to tile underneath.

Would have liked to order the Kit 2 too, but orderd kind of a Kit 1 instead. Had some trouble with the german distributor at first. You know, it is not so easy to built a plane in germany. You have to have the permission of the importeur!!! Had a real good offer from the france dealer.... they were 30% cheaper. But I had to buy in germany in order to get his permission and aid with the tons of paperwork. Maybe I can order the next Kit stages elsewere. But that is far in the future.

I ordered the hookup, lower parachute lines and the parking brake too. Also I took dubblesteering. I don't know about the cabin heat. I was under the impression that was standard!?

I will get my kit delivered to my doorstep. It should take 2 - 4 weeks, I was told.

Did you find a good source for additionell clecos?

Would have liked to order the Kit 2 too, but orderd kind of a Kit 1 instead. Had some trouble with the german distributor at first. You know, it is not so easy to built a plane in germany. You have to have the permission of the importeur!!! Had a real good offer from the france dealer.... they were 30% cheaper. But I had to buy in germany in order to get his permission and aid with the tons of paperwork. Maybe I can order the next Kit stages elsewere. But that is far in the future.I ordered the hookup, lower parachute lines and the parking brake too. Also I took dubblesteering. I don't know about the cabin heat. I was under the impression that was standard!?

I will get my kit delivered to my doorstep. It should take 2 - 4 weeks, I was told.

Did you find a good source for additionell clecos?

Which French dealer did you try? It is the same problem for me in a way, it is nearer and easier for me to go directly to Italy, but the French dealer must do the registration and paperwork. I am however lucky that the Dealer I used is very good and willing to help.

I havent looked for additional Clekos yet as I was hoping there would be enough in the kit....

They offered to deliver to my house for very reasonable price but I would have to organise unloading from a large truck and it couldn't get to our front door. Still ICP is only 3 to 4 jours by car from here.

• Like 1

that would be "centreulmlesnoyers"

Kit 2 ... compare 19.500 to 26.200 euros

I havn't seen clecos under 0,80 euro.

Yesterday I've seen a store in the US they sell 100 pc. made in usa for 0,36 dollar. Just wondering if shipping to germany would work?

that would be "centreulmlesnoyers"Kit 2 ... compare 19.500 to 26.200 euros

I havn't seen clecos under 0,80 euro.

Yesterday I've seen a store in the US they sell 100 pc. made in usa for 0,36 dollar. Just wondering if shipping to germany would work?

Indeed that is where I am getting mine from and I have to say they are very good. I am really shocked at the difference in price in the two kits! Is the German version somehow different? 6000 euros pays for a shed load of administration!

I will let you know how many cleko's come in the kit when I get it, I havent heard of anyone not having enough. I find myself getting obsessed with certain aspects of the build now. I have got over the what propellor I am going to use and will decide that later in the build when I have the engine. My current obsession is safety wire and suitable pliers(for locking off nuts and bolts) as well as the paint /sealant to use to show if a nut has been loosened. One other obsession is the corrosion protection that everyone says you dont need unless you go on water. AAAhhh hurry up 25th I can't wait much longer...

• Haha 1

Can't be more expensive than shipping to Australia... I got all my clecoes from the US. The last lot were from Pan American Tool and were about 36 cents each.

Can't be more expensive than shipping to Australia... I got all my clecoes from the US. The last lot were from Pan American Tool and were about 36 cents each.

How many do you think you need ?

I took advice on here re cleko quantities and bought mine from Cleaveland Aircraft Tool. Nice people, and they set up a separate account so I could use Transferwise for payment, which they had not seen before.

What I ended up getting is in the Savannah section under Tools and the advice I got was good: I have just the forward fuselage to build now, at various points I have used every cleko, but I have always had (just) enough.

I took advice on here re cleko quantities and bought mine from Cleaveland Aircraft Tool. Nice people, and they set up a separate account so I could use Transferwise for payment, which they had not seen before.What I ended up getting is in the Savannah section under Tools and the advice I got was good: I have just the forward fuselage to build now, at various points I have used every cleko, but I have always had (just) enough.

Did the kit come with any? If so how many?

Did the kit come with any? If so how many?

My kit came with a very small token quantity, I can't remember exactly, and I believe that's standard.

You'll also be highly be amused by what they give you as cleko pliers...but it's only about $8 to get the real thing from the US...I got two.

I reckon it's weird how many people have built planes with clecos yet you don't see them advertised often, their now unneeded used ones I mean.

Yep, I asked around for second hand ones but turned nothing up...folk seem to hang onto 'em for old times sake, and just in case they decide to do it all again...

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Great! How long do you have to wait for your kit to be delivered?

I reckon it's weird how many people have built planes with clecos yet you don't see them advertised often, their now unneeded used ones I mean.

I have always wondered about that too. Where is the "Used Clecos" Thread?

• Informative 1

You can have mine when I'm dead.

Numbers wise, I've got 100 each of 3/32" and 1/8", and about 20 of the rarer sizes - 5/32" and 3/16". I haven't run out yet... and if you do run low on 3/32" holding stuff together you can always start drilling them out to 1/8" and use them as well (if they're all going to end up 1/8" anyway, that is!!)

Indeed that is where I am getting mine from and I have to say they are very good. I am really shocked at the difference in price in the two kits! Is the German version somehow different? 6000 euros pays for a shed load of administration!

Its the same word by word! But the importeur is told to be a nice one, who realy cares about his builders. So, what the f... time will tell. But thats why I orders just Kit 1 b.

I can't find the info about the numbers of clecos recommended. Can somebody give me a link?

I'm also wondering about using corrosion protection. It can't hurt, so I guess everybody uses the supplied black stuff from ICP. But in the Zenair videos on the 750 and 650, there is no corrosion protection and they say you simply don't need it.

Had a mail from ICP yesterday. Question was, which panel layout I wan't? Quite early to answer that question...

Its the same word by word! But the importeur is told to be a nice one, who realy cares about his builders. So, what the f... time will tell. But thats why I orders just Kit 1 b.I can't find the info about the numbers of clecos recommended. Can somebody give me a link?

I'm also wondering about using corrosion protection. It can't hurt, so I guess everybody uses the supplied black stuff from ICP. But in the Zenair videos on the 750 and 650, there is no corrosion protection and they say you simply don't need it.

Had a mail from ICP yesterday. Question was, which panel layout I wan't? Quite early to answer that question...

Forum search for 'tools' in the Savannah forum. This brings up 'Savannah S build - some tools'

Msg # 2 there gives cleko info.

Can somebody tell me how to write a link into a msg here???

You'll get a hundred different opinions on that. Depends on the climate where you live, proximity to corrosive factors like salty sea air, whether your aircraft is left outside or hangared.

If you live in low-humidity climate you can probably get away with no corrosion protection. If you live on a coast you may want to fully protect every part.

I've gone a middle path where I use etch primer on each side of every joint line or anywhere water is likely to be trapped. 6061-T6 is corrosion-resistant to a certain extent anyway.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1