Hi guys... Great site... Got a few questions ;)

bunyips

Hello... Have been reading quite a bit on this site as I have an interest in learning to fly...obviously. I live in Far North Queensland near Mission Beach and have been looking for a new past time that involves the air! Was a skydiver for many years up here and no longer have the drive to jump out of planes. Tried scuba last year and it didn't do a whole lot for me. Am very interested in Paragliding but the options up here are very limited. There sure is a lot of landing strips up here though! I have no doubt that I will enjoy being at the controls rather than leaping through the door. My Dad was a pilot for a long time from the 60's onwards.

My question is. Can anyone tell me which model Thruster this is? I am in no rush to buy an aircraft and understand that getting a licence is my priority right now. Also meeting folk from up this way for advice and help.

Cheers :) Todd

Thruster.jpg.f3d8f1afa43ca7e8aecbf071b68edd78.jpg

Welcome and hi Todd.002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

I have no idea which model of Thruster it is, but someone on here will know, it is but it looks like it has a Rotax 2 stroke engine, Maybe? And you'd need a tail wheel and 2 stroke endorsements to fly it.

I took the plunge a couple of years ago and got my pilot certificate, it was the most fun I've had ever, then it got better when I started hiring a plane and flying around. Have you started your flight training?

Tony

Hi Todd,

No idea about the Thruster, but wanted to say 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif, and you have made a good decision to learn to fly! Good luck with whatever you end up flying....

Cheers,

Neil

Thanks people :)

It has a rotax 503 with apparently 30 hours since new... Hence the interest ;) Looking for a school now. Am prepared to travel a bit if I need too and am quite aware of the fact that it looks like we may actually get a wet season this year. No rush!

Hi Todd - looks like a Gemini, contact farri here on the site, he's at Deeral, and a ex cfi and a god of the air. He still has his own strip and plane. He will set you up on any information and may take you for a ride. Take your time with him he knows what he is talking about with these types of rag wing and operating on a beach.

I flew off mission beach for three weeks, many years ago in the old thruster. Great Place

• Like 1

Photo not close enough to be specific but definately later than a Gemini (note no exterior structural tubing running outside the fuselage from the axle/carry thru bar to rear of cockpit). Given the open wing tips (left over from the Gemini) and what appears to be a full rear bulkhead, I'd guess a 'TST', forerunner to the T-300. Farri???

I will definitely be in Contact with Farri as he is just up the road from me really and sounds like just the man I need to see. Aircraft is advertised as a T500 but from my amateur investigations it is not. Thanks for interest

The two seater came out in mid 80's with struts. It looks similar to the one I flew about then but not quite as detailed. I'm only going from memory. One of the first 2 seat trainers. I'd like to see a 582 in it unless you don't carry much weight. It's the only Rotax 2 stroke you can purchase new now anyhow. Farri's a DRIFTER man. I'd prefer a Drifter myself if you don't lend it and look after it. Nev

I live in Far North Queensland near Mission Beach and have been looking for a new past time that involves the air! Todd

G`Day Todd, 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif!!!...If I`m thinking of the right guy, I met your father a few years ago.

I live and fly from our property, here at the end of Ross road, Deeral, 45km south of Cairns..(area inside blue line)..You`re welcome to come in, any time I`m home and have a chat! you might even get a flight with me in the Drifter.

Home2.jpg.e46bff0924f8034c89c8c171903a3071.jpg

Frank.

• Like 1

G`Day Todd, 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif!!!...If I`m thinking of the right guy, I met your father a few years ago.I live and fly from our property, here at the end of Ross road, Deeral, 45km south of Cairns..(area inside blue line)..You`re welcome to come in, any time I`m home and have a chat! you might even get a flight with me in the Drifter.

[ATTACH=full]47547[/ATTACH]

Frank.

Cheers Frank,

I will make sure I drop in for a chat. Will be great to get the local knowledge and experience. My Dad's name is Barrie. Can't miss him... Big guy ;)

I have Monday, Tuesdays and Wednesdays off. So if you are around early next week I would be keen to talk.

Thanks,

Todd

• Like 1

Hello... Have been reading quite a bit on this site as I have an interest in learning to fly...obviously. I live in Far North Queensland near Mission Beach and have been looking for a new past time that involves the air! Was a skydiver for many years up here and no longer have the drive to jump out of planes. Tried scuba last year and it didn't do a whole lot for me. Am very interested in Paragliding but the options up here are very limited. There sure is a lot of landing strips up here though! I have no doubt that I will enjoy being at the controls rather than leaping through the door. My Dad was a pilot for a long time from the 60's onwards.My question is. Can anyone tell me which model Thruster this is? I am in no rush to buy an aircraft and understand that getting a licence is my priority right now. Also meeting folk from up this way for advice and help.

Cheers :) Todd

It looks like a TST 1987 model it probably has a Rotax 503 2 stroke on it. I have owned one of these it was a really good plane to fly and a lot of fun they are a very strong aircraft i still own and fly a thruster today

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All... Went to visit Franco yesterday and had a fly around in the Drifter. Beautiful conditions and great fun with that man at the helm ... What I would like to know now is who is doing recreational training up here. I would prefer to learn in a taildragger with a 2 stroke!! I am currently looking for an appropriate aircraft and am prepared to restore if the right one comes along with the right motor in it.

Thanks again Franco for the great intro into this part of the aviation world... Good Times :)

• Like 3

What I would like to know now is who is doing recreational training up here. I would prefer to learn in a taildragger with a 2 stroke!!

Todd, Try ATA! As far as I know, they are at Blue Water, North of Townsville, and operate one or two Drifters!

ATA, Recreational Flying School... 3 Axis...S, O'Donnell 0414 304 893...Email

[/url]

431397622_BlueWater.jpg.54eefc8b56d216b390e2d2831037f202.jpg

List of RA-Aus registered flying schools...QLD - RAAus

Franco.